Sign in to follow this  
kev777zero

Drafting same player across multiple leagues

For those who play in multiple leagues, what would be your approach when your turn is up and a player you find valuable is there, but you have already drafted them in other leagues already (or if you find their auction prices to be a steal while bidding)? Would you draft a player at a decent enough value 10/10 times, or would you try mixing it up as best as you could? The risk of having the same player in multiple or all your leagues is if they go down all your leagues suffer.

Posted (edited)

Good question. Last season I found myself drafting a lot of Gallinari & Harrell in multiple leagues and it paid off greatly. I also drafted Anthony Davis in a lot of them last year and we all know how that turned out. It also depends on how your team is being built, but I find that there are certain players in certain rounds with great value that's hard to pass up on this year. I would like to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

Edited by LAbron
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, kev777zero said:

For those who play in multiple leagues, what would be your approach when your turn is up and a player you find valuable is there, but you have already drafted them in other leagues already (or if you find their auction prices to be a steal while bidding)? Would you draft a player at a decent enough value 10/10 times, or would you try mixing it up as best as you could? The risk of having the same player in multiple or all your leagues is if they go down all your leagues suffer.

id do this with good fantasy iron men or sleepers.  across multiple leagues. the sleeprs can definitely sway your team

Diversify.  Diversify.  Diversify.

When injuries come (and they will), they'll hurt you in 3 leagues but actually help you in like 9 (cause you don't own that guy).

• Like 3

I usually end up with a couple of players that end up on all of my teams. Its just inevitable that you will like a few guys way more than other people.

I would definitely avoid spending big draft capitol on multiple shares of guys like Kawhi, Embiid, Kyrie though, no matter how much I like them this season.

I had Josh Richardson on all my teams last year because he felt like a deal in round 5, especially as a punt AST PG. I still cashed even with him missing expectations by a fair bit. I would target different players in round 1-5. If you have faith in sleepers later in the draft there is a lot less downside for injury after pick 5 or 6. 

• Like 2

Well I had vuc in about ten leagues last year and I cashed $7500.  Obviously it increases variance and diversification reduces variance.  It depends on the strength of your “read”.  If you’re very confident then try to dump as much money into your read as possible.  Right or wrong. 

The problem is, when your in multiple leagues with multiple players, that often creates a conflict of interest. If i have Lebron in one league, i want him to go nuts. But if im facing him in another league, then what do i want him to do?

21 minutes ago, Dominator83 said:

The problem is, when your in multiple leagues with multiple players, that often creates a conflict of interest. If i have Lebron in one league, i want him to go nuts. But if im facing him in another league, then what do i want him to do?

I can't think of a top 100 player from last year that I didn't own.  You end up just cheering for your team.  You don't care about specific players' performance until like Saturday or Sunday.  Even then, it's rare you need a big performance from someone in one league while dreading it in another.  Maybe I want big boards from LeBron in one league, want low assists from him in another, and in three more, the matchup is basically set one way or another so who cares.

It also helps because you're more objective when it comes to players.  You don't have a weird attachment to them because they're "yours".

• Like 1

I usually diversify after a certain point.  Im in about 10 leagues and already have certain players like Lowry in like 5 of them because he keeps falling to me in round 4 or 5, so I'll probably go for Conley if they're both available for me in my next draft.  

Now I have a real conundrum, I finally have the chance to pick Steph, but I know Harden is more than likely to have a better year, play more games, etc.  I don't know the exact math but it seems like Steph would have to shoot close to 50/90 and get closer to 1.6-1.8 steals to over take Harden...plus the games played advantage for Harden.  But, I already have Harden in 2 leagues and now is finally my chance to get Steph...so I'm probably going Steph.  Who knows, maybe Harden gets hurt and is out for the year and Steph plays 78 games. 

We usually have random drafting orders. So I tend to draft the best team based on the drafting position rather than reaching for players I want so that they are similar in multiple leagues. So I usually end up with a bunch of combination of fantasy lineups. 

But of course they are a few players, like 3-4, that I dubbed as sleepers and tend to have them on all my teams. 

I've only had 2 drafts so far, one auction(H2H) and one snake(Roto).  I got Towns and CP3 in both leagues.  I just am very high on Towns and his ability to never miss games. Jimmy is gone and I think KAT will be the top roto player.  In H2H, Towns enables you to construct your team however you want, without thinking about punting.  And with Paul, I think the price is good for the possible return on investment.  Always been a fan of him, and although his situation is murky, he is historically an elite roto point guard and I just hope he plays 65+ games, especially for when it matters, in the head to head league.  I think he will shine in the games he plays, especially without sharing the court with Harden.  I can also envision a scenario where CP3 goes crazy to increase his trade value and then gets dealt.  Or his hamstring can explode.  But I managed the injury risk of Paul by having Towns as the centerpiece for my teams. 

3 minutes ago, RealityBasketball said:

I've only had 2 drafts so far, one auction(H2H) and one snake(Roto).  I got Towns and CP3 in both leagues.  I just am very high on Towns and his ability to never miss games. Jimmy is gone and I think KAT will be the top roto player.  In H2H, Towns enables you to construct your team however you want, without thinking about punting.  And with Paul, I think the price is good for the possible return on investment.  Always been a fan of him, and although his situation is murky, he is historically an elite roto point guard and I just hope he plays 65+ games, especially for when it matters, in the head to head league.  I think he will shine in the games he plays, especially without sharing the court with Harden.  I can also envision a scenario where CP3 goes crazy to increase his trade value and then gets dealt.  Or his hamstring can explode.  But I managed the injury risk of Paul by having Towns as the centerpiece for my teams. 

I agree with the sentiment generally.  

But there’s about a .000000001% Towns finishes ahead of AD in per game in 9 cat roto.  They’re similar players but AD is strictly better in stocks.  Stocks are scarce.  Towns is a god but AD is a titan because not only does AD have 28/14/3 potential and shoots 50/80 (which Towns can match) but AD gets 4 combined stocks and 2 TO compared to 3 stocks from Towns and 3 TO, maybe more if Towns is handling the ball better.  Not only is AD great in popcorn stats and efficiency but what makes him truly great is that he does all that while potentially leading the league in stocks. 

• Like 1

Here’s my strategy, and it’s led me to multiple 1st place wins from leagues 6 teams through 14+.

Weirdly enough, I’ve Drafted roughly the same players across the board on draft days. I go into my yahoo and make my own ranking and export it to all my leagues—this ranking heavily takes into account historical injuries (DND players) as well as playoff schedule.

The oddest part, to me, is that I only swap and make adds/drops to two of my leagues in which my close friends are in. Those leagues are usually the most competitive in nature because we know each other. I let the other 5-15 leagues I’ve joined ride out the entire season with the drafted group. I don’t entertain trades on those leagues, but I do set lineups and fix IR etc.

From what I’ve found, the leagues I don’t tamper with usually make finals and, in most cases, win it all. My main league with close friends is a crapshoot because I’m trading constantly and in the end it looks nothing like draft day.

My conclusion: it’s best to go with your guy when you draft and ride it out while making small changes here and there in injury cases or trades you can’t refuse.

19 hours ago, Chrizz said:

I have a lot of Bridges in my leagues so far.

Me too.  I usually have to choose between the two Bridges...but sometimes only one falls.  So far I have Mikal on 3 teams and Miles on 2. 

• Like 1