Trench Mob

Nickeil Alexander-Walker 2019-2020 Outlook

spacer.png

I don't think it'll be much of an outlook in re-drafts considering the players in front of him on the Pelicans, but he's been tearing it up ever since Summer League and has looked like one of the more NBA-ready rookies. Dynasty owners should have their full attention.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 3

it doesn't look he needs a lot of minutes to produce (18-20 min). He is repeating in preseason what he did in Summer League. Ok it will be different in regular season but I guess he is definitely worth a look right now.

2 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

Would be interesting if Jrue gets traded. Only path I can see for him to earn decent minutes

Doubtful he gets traded, at least not this year. Zion is basically going into the reverse Lebron on the Cavs situation early in his career. Rather than waiting to draft talent to fit around Zion, they already are out ahead with Ingram & Ball as two young guys ready to take the next step. Zion will grow into a team ready to take off. And having Jrue there means none of them have to deal with the pressure of leading a franchise or finding a leader. This is such a great situation right now for all of them.

Edited by worldclass

The path for NAW will be running the 2nd unit. Lonzo is poised for a huge breakout year, and will play 30 min easily a night, and Jrue is being touted as a potential MVP by David Griffin, so I dont think they’re going to limit him under 34 min/game. The pace of the Pels still makes NAW fantasy worthy, but the risk for NAW is him figuring out how to play offball in order to be able to play alongside any of the starters for larger chunks of time. There’s a lot of playmakers on the team. 

NAW & Okafor will be a great PnR duo off the bench though, & in under 15 min he could have nice assist numbers.

39 minutes ago, worldclass said:

The path for NAW will be running the 2nd unit. Lonzo is poised for a huge breakout year, and will play 30 min easily a night, and Jrue is being touted as a potential MVP by David Griffin, so I dont think they’re going to limit him under 34 min/game. The pace of the Pels still makes NAW fantasy worthy, but the risk for NAW is him figuring out how to play offball in order to be able to play alongside any of the starters for larger chunks of time. There’s a lot of playmakers on the team. 

NAW & Okafor will be a great PnR duo off the bench though, & in under 15 min he could have nice assist numbers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Jrue is not that level of a player. He's a solid 3rd option on a contending team. If the Pelicans were a good franchise, they would trade him while he's at peak value. I agree with the latter though.

And about Okafor. Yeah.......He does not belong on the court ( but he will be ). They're better off digging up Omer Asik's grave.

7 hours ago, worldclass said:

Doubtful he gets traded, at least not this year. Zion is basically going into the reverse Lebron on the Cavs situation early in his career. Rather than waiting to draft talent to fit around Zion, they already are out ahead with Ingram & Ball as two young guys ready to take the next step. Zion will grow into a team ready to take off. And having Jrue there means none of them have to deal with the pressure of leading a franchise or finding a leader. This is such a great situation right now for all of them.

Of course. But there will be a time when Jrue will not be there in my opinion and NAW will take over. I have him in one of my dynasty leagues.

8 hours ago, a-rob said:

Real nice player to stash but here's the thing, this is NOP's rotation as it stands

Lonzo, Jrue. Reddick, Josh Hart. so NAW is 5th in the depth chart.

If NOP struggles then the better chance for NAW to produce. Because if New orleans is in playoff contention, they will not trade Jrue or Reddick.

There’s actual talk of NAW supplanting Hart based on preseason play. I’m holding!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a-rob said:

Real nice player to stash but here's the thing, this is NOP's rotation as it stands

Lonzo, Jrue. Reddick, Josh Hart. so NAW is 5th in the depth chart.

If NOP struggles then the better chance for NAW to produce. Because if New orleans is in playoff contention, they will not trade Jrue or Reddick.

I think NAW is ahead of Hart. 

• Like 1

He is crushing this pre-season. I really want to drop Monk for him. He can do it all and looks hungry!

Love this guy... Trying to temper my expectations of him in dynasty

He's so good, I just wish there was a clearer path to minutes.. Hart could slide up and play the 3 some, Redick is aged, Lonzo is injury prone. I think there'll be nights where Lonzo's lack of scoring will also hurt them, so I can definitely see many nights where he's in the 20-25 mpg range versus a good defensive team.

He's on my watch list right now, but he's getting hard to ignore as a stash, I love per-minute producers, eventually they work themselves into a regular high minute role because coaches can't ignore them anymore, high floor - high ceiling.

• Like 1

It makes sense to have Redick come off the bench to provide some elite shooting for the 2nd unit. As for Hart, NAW just looks better than him, period. The starting lineup could be something like Ball/Jrue/NAW/Zion/Favors with Redick as the 6th man. This would be a really, really fun (and fantasy friendly) lineup.

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

He's so good, I just wish there was a clearer path to minutes.. Hart could slide up and play the 3 some, Redick is aged, Lonzo is injury prone. I think there'll be nights where Lonzo's lack of scoring will also hurt them, so I can definitely see many nights where he's in the 20-25 mpg range versus a good defensive team.

He's on my watch list right now, but he's getting hard to ignore as a stash, I love per-minute producers, eventually they work themselves into a regular high minute role because coaches can't ignore them anymore, high floor - high ceiling.

1 hour ago, fabrar said:

It makes sense to have Redick come off the bench to provide some elite shooting for the 2nd unit. As for Hart, NAW just looks better than him, period. The starting lineup could be something like Ball/Jrue/NAW/Zion/Favors with Redick as the 6th man. This would be a really, really fun (and fantasy friendly) lineup.

Hart could slide to the 3...or Hart could just not play at all because NAW is miles and miles better than him.  

I picked him up in one league just as a wait and see stash since his upside is so high and Lonzo or Jrue could literally go down for the year at any moment. 

Now that Zion’s out, I think that there’s now a great amount of opportunity for NAW, and I expect him to play significant minutes right out of the gate. I can see a lineup of Lonzo - Jrue - NAW - Ingram/Melli - Favors getting plenty of run. Thoughts?

9 hours ago, jkgb7 said:

Now that Zion’s out, I think that there’s now a great amount of opportunity for NAW, and I expect him to play significant minutes right out of the gate. I can see a lineup of Lonzo - Jrue - NAW - Ingram/Melli - Favors getting plenty of run. Thoughts?

Just picked him up off waivers now that zion is out - hope it works out!

Man, they have to play this guy. He's so damn good. Just absolutely cookin' the entire preseason. 

Man it's crazy how deep the league is this year, I'm having a legit hard time finding who to drop for all these sexy rookies.

My 13th pick went like this:

Norman powell 

turned into Jarrett Culver

I debated for 3 days if I should take Washington over Culver, Washington gets scooped up

I'm tracking NWA the whole time as I actually feel he's the most talented guy in the group in this stage of their respective careers, and he did this today (plus Zion being gone which will shift lineups around and perhaps open up a few extra minutes), and I just said f--- it and dropped Culver for him.

I'll say this, if you have a young wing like Culver on your bench, the variance in their stats from game to game is actually a much bigger gap than a young PG - and you'll see that once the NBA season starts. Young wings have a hard time coming in and dominating because most teams won't give them high usage, they will put them in more catch and shoot spots/slashing spots/hand offs, but for PGs they actually get to handle the ball which results in more consistent stats.

If you look at guys like Garland, NWA, or Coby White, you see just how fast PGs (like Trae or Curry before them) can come in and make an impact. PGs are just so good now at handling the ball, running an offense with pace, and shooting that you can't ignore them, but wings take longer to develop as far as I can tell. Culvert's little hitch in his shot worries me that game to game he won't be consistent, plus he's got all the chuckers to deal with on his team. 

If you're having any issues deciding on who to drop, just realize how rare it is to get impactful PGs late. It's far easier to find a wing (like I can replace Barton with Culver and it won't make any difference, and I'll likely get better stats from Barton all year), but you can't do that with Walker, you won't find any PGs come up out of no where.

The Pelicans offense is just so fun to watch, so much pace, so much offense, and it's very guard oriented. Holiday has put up career stats with them, Lonzo already looks way better on their team, and now Nickeil

• Like 2

Haha I picked up Washington, dropped for Tristan Thompson, dropped for Mo Bamba dropped for Matisse  (in a span of 3 days) after his first preseason game. Then debated again whether I drop Kris Dunn for Thompson for a couple of hours, I come back and they were all scooped up 😭

Now I have this guy. Is he a Jordan Clarkson 2.0 who tends to get a little bit more assists?

(I also couldn’t decide between Culver vs. NAW only to come to find out that Culver got picked up days after he got dropped) 

Edited by MysticPeak

29 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

Haha I picked up Washington, dropped for Tristan Thompson

giphy.gif