9 minutes ago, Mest30 said:

You didn't touch a nerve. You just make no sense. Hell, kickers outscore 2nd and 3rd tier tight ends on a regular. In a game where points are king, you're intentionally leaving points off the board. I hate kickers too and wish they weren't part of it, but they are so I'm starting one. If coaches had roster spots, I'd draft and play a coach, too.

Because it’s all about the playoffs baby. Make the playoffs and have the strongest roster you can going in. I’ve never taken a weekly L by following this strategy. If I dropped from the 3rd to 4th seed because of a tiebreaker due to points, who cares? At the end of the day you still need to win those games in Weeks 14-16. A good kicker can get you 10 points in a week. But they could also get you only 3 or 4. I’ve chosen to roster a kicker only when that difference is enough to matter in a given week.

And to your point about tight ends, that position is so garbage that if you don’t have one of the top guys (I have Kittle and now Henry, so i’m good), I don’t think it’s worth bothering with them either. Would even consider rostering a kicker over a lower tiered TE in that scenario. The same principle would apply there.

Edited by kraftwrk_5

4 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Because it’s all about the playoffs baby. Make the playoffs and have the strongest roster you can going in. I’ve never taken a weekly L by following this strategy. If I dropped from the 3rd to 4th seed because of a tiebreaker due to points, who cares? At the end of the day you still need to win those games in Weeks 14-16. A good kicker can get you 10 points in a week. But they could also get you only 3 or 4. I’ve chosen to roster a kicker only when that difference is enough to matter in a given week.

And to your point about tight ends, that position is so garbage that if you don’t have one of the top guys (I have Kittle and now Henry, so i’m good), I don’t think it’s worth bothering with them either. Would even consider rostering a kicker over a lower tiered TE in that scenario. The same principle would apply there.

Your top tier te kittle has 42 points in .5 ppr format on the year. What round did you get him? My undrafted kicker has 52 points on the year.

To your first point, a good running back can get 15 plus points but can also get 3 or 4 any given week (you used that line earlier yourself) so why bother starting a running back? I mean, your same argument can basically be said about every position unless you have a top 5 running back (though my kicker outscored mcc week 2) or top quarterback. 

So you wait until Sun night /Mon night games - 4 options for kickers. All 4 kickers could be taken but I guess likely there would be at least 1 or 2 available - although could be options that lose you a few points.

What about other players on your roster and your opponents roster in Sun/Mon games? A lot of the big names play in those prime time games so there could be players on both sides in those games. A lot of variability in fantasy with players still on the board - see Will Fuller/Aaron Jones and Mike Evans/OBJ last week. Much different scores than the projections.

I could see it on Monday night when more stuff is set but then you only have 2 kickers to choose from and they could be taken.

Still can be a useful strategy depending on league rules/setup but there are other variables that have to be accounted for.

I think league format and scoring have to come in to play as well. I can see where he is coming from. The kicker is not really a position that can hit big too often. I understand trying to get as many points as possible but, depending on league rules, certain calculated risks are not as crazy in one league as it is in another. In terms of the draft, when the top kickers get drafted, I don't rush to get a kicker just to get one, I just look for as much value regardless of position as possible.

• Thanks 1

Lol you guys really trying to prove a point that it makes sense to not use a kicker? Amateur hour over here. It doesn’t matter even if you win games without a kicker. Total points for the year matter big and could be a tie breaker between you getting into the playoffs or not. Or getting that bye week for the playoffs or not. Start your kickers your TEs and whoever else gives you points every single week. This whole thread should just be closed.

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Lol you guys really trying to prove a point that it makes sense to not use a kicker? Amateur hour over here. It doesn’t matter even if you win games without a kicker. Total points for the year matter big and could be a tie breaker between you getting into the playoffs or not. Or getting that bye week for the playoffs or not. Start your kickers your TEs and whoever else gives you points every single week. This whole thread should just be closed.

You're missing the value of doing this just 1 or 2 times a year, it won't hurt you at all, especially if your extra temporary pickup was a bust, and you just pick up the next best kicker and play him anyway. You're risking small minimal pts, that will hardly matter if you don't do it often, and potentially land a WR2 or RB2 before their breakout happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

League format matters too. Who cares about tiebreakers if you are winning and you are going to the playoffs? You just have to beat who you are playing. I roster a kicker each week but if you can win without one I don't think that is crazy. If he can do it and it works I don't see the problem. Not like he said QB or anything. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GarrettHasTheClap said:

League format matters too. Who cares about tiebreakers if you are winning and you are going to the playoffs? You just have to beat who you are playing. I roster a kicker each week but if you can win without one I don't think that is crazy. If he can do it and it works I don't see the problem. Not like he said QB or anything. 

Have you not played in a league before where a bunch of teams have the same record? Say 3 7/6 teams are battling for the last two playoff spots. That means the odd team out will be the one with lowest point totals for the year. Wtf do you mean who cares about tie breakers? 

9 minutes ago, AJx88x said:

You're missing the value of doing this just 1 or 2 times a year, it won't hurt you at all, especially if your extra temporary pickup was a bust, and you just pick up the next best kicker and play him anyway. You're risking small minimal pts, that will hardly matter if you don't do it often, and potentially land a WR2 or RB2 before their breakout happens.

I can MAYBE see value in it doing it once or twice If there is a player you want to have on your roster badly for the week. But again it’s just not a good habit. Even those two weeks could cost you two wins or potentially getting you out of the playoffs. Points are points. The #9 kicker has 43 points for the year. That’s about 9 points a game average. That’s a lot of points people are leaving on the table. 

5 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Have you not played in a league before where a bunch of teams have the same record? Say 3 7/6 teams are battling for the last two playoff spots. That means the odd team out will be the one with lowest point totals for the year. Wtf do you mean who cares about tie breakers? 

I don't recall him saying he never rosters a kicker at all. If you are losing a tiebreaker I'm sure it wasn't because of streaming a kicker.

Edited by GarrettHasTheClap
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GarrettHasTheClap said:

Again, league format. My main league has decimal points. We never have ties. As in never. No need to get so up tight man. Just a conversation. There are other leagues than the one you play in, believe it or not.

I play with decimal points too. Do you really not grasp what I’m trying to explain? Let’s say there are 10 teams and only 6 make the playoffs. There’s a chance that you could have the same record as someone else trying to make that last playoff spot. But the tie breaker would be total points for the year. So even though you have the same record doesn’t mean you’ll get in. Is this your first time playing?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I can MAYBE see value in it doing it once or twice If there is a player you want to have on your roster badly for the week. But again it’s just not a good habit. Even those two weeks could cost you two wins or potentially getting you out of the playoffs. Points are points. The #9 kicker has 43 points for the year. That’s about 9 points a game average. That’s a lot of points people are leaving on the table. 

I wanted to pull this move before week 1, and hold McLaurin with that extra bench spot when he was 1% owned on yahoo, but I waited and he broke out, then had to pay FAAB for it.

Next week, I lose Foles, So I had to grab Minshew, McLaurin, and then DJ Chark drew my interest, but for me to make 3 additions with FAAB bids, I would have needed to extend my bench, and I did it this time after missing out on McLaurin for $0 if I had done this move before week 1. Now I have all 3, DJ Chark, McLaurin, Minshew, because of this move, if I had done it a week earlier, I would've had more FAAB right now, lol. But it's definitely situational, mostly for when you really want to make room for that extra player to have a 1 week audition on your team, it can pay off.

Edited by AJx88x
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenSC400 said:

I play with decimal points too. Do you really not grasp what I’m trying to explain? Let’s say there are 10 teams and only 6 make the playoffs. There’s a chance that you could have the same record as someone else trying to make that last playoff spot. But the tie breaker would be total points for the year. So even though you have the same record doesn’t mean you’ll get in. Is this your first time playing?

I reread your comment and edited mine. You come off pretty condescending. I've been playing for many years and admit that people do other things depending on scoring. Nothing to get all up in arms about. Its fantasy football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GarrettHasTheClap said:

2 year lurker posting for the first time. I love IDPs. I don't know why people are so opposed to them. Makes it pretty fun imo.

Welcome!

3 minutes ago, GarrettHasTheClap said:

I reread your comment and edited mine. You come off pretty condescending. I've been playing for many years and admit that people do other things depending on scoring. Nothing to get all up in arms about. Its fantasy football.

Sorry but based on your initial comment it doesn’t seem like you’ve been playing for a while. And again in probably 99% of scenarios it doesn’t make any sense to leave points on the board. If you want to give yourself the biggest chance to win.

1 minute ago, StevenSC400 said:

Sorry but based on your initial comment it doesn’t seem like you’ve been playing for a while. And again in probably 99% of scenarios it doesn’t make any sense to leave points on the board. If you want to give yourself the biggest chance to win.

Oh I'm with you big dog. I reread it and it looked bad so that's why I edited it. I can see why you would have assumed that so no worries. I never play without a kicker but I do see where he is coming from. It isn't something I would do personally but to each his own. 

22 minutes ago, AJx88x said:

I wanted to pull this move before week 1, and hold McLaurin with that extra bench spot when he was 1% owned on yahoo, but I waited and he broke out, then had to pay FAAB for it.

Next week, I lose Foles, So I had to grab Minshew, McLaurin, and then DJ Chark drew my interest, but for me to make 3 additions with FAAB bids, I would have needed to extend my bench, and I did it this time after missing out on McLaurin for $0 if I had done this move before week 1. Now I have all 3, DJ Chark, McLaurin, Minshew, because of this move, if I had done it a week earlier, I would've had more FAAB right now, lol. But it's definitely situational, mostly for when you really want to make room for that extra player to have a 1 week audition on your team, it can pay off.

So I basically should have done this move twice already in the first two weeks of the season, but I only managed to do it once, and it netted me Chark who I otherwise wouldn't have had an extra bench spot for, all at the risk of a drafted kicker outscoring a ww kicker by a few points in one week.

Edited by AJx88x
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AJx88x said:

You also don't have to check on the score to make the move on picking up the kicker, you could just wait to see if your extra bench stash worked out during his 1pm game, if not, drop and pick up a kicker, and still fight for those extra points. I'm in multiple leagues, in one league, the settings won't allow it, but in another 12-Team money league, it does. It's a move that I usually see made early in the season, when there's a lot of uncertain bench stashes that are quickly answered within the first two weeks, it's a lot less done later during the season when most bench stashes are solidified.

2 hours ago, AJx88x said:

I think your misunderstanding the strategy, sometimes 95% of the matchup's players are played on the 1pm-4pm Sunday games, for those weeks, you can easily tell if you are going to win or not before Sunday night's game even starts, if it's close, pick up a kicker playing Sunday night or Monday night, even 12-Team leagues have kickers on WW who can produce just as much as any of the top kickers on any given Sunday.

One stinkeye in a friends league got his panties in a bunch over me using this strategy and waited until after this year's draft to say this will no longer be allowed.  No he wasn't the commissioner but the commish had no balls and pushed the new rule through.  F/n bs but whatever

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Have lost exactly zero games following this strategy. And 8/10 teams in the playoffs is great. Nobody falls off the map halfway through because almost everybody is in contention until the very end. We’ve had the #7 or #8 teams rise up, get hot at the right time, and win it all. Makes for a very entertaining playoffs. Sorry that you guys are so jealous that rostering a kicker makes all the difference in your leagues. 😆 You should try it sometime. This isn’t life or death - have some fun.

80% of teams making the playoffs is the opposite of fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mest30 said:

Your top tier te kittle has 42 points in .5 ppr format on the year. What round did you get him? My undrafted kicker has 52 points on the year.

To your first point, a good running back can get 15 plus points but can also get 3 or 4 any given week (you used that line earlier yourself) so why bother starting a running back? I mean, your same argument can basically be said about every position unless you have a top 5 running back (though my kicker outscored mcc week 2) or top quarterback. 

Kittle was a keeper for me. Don’t know your scoring system, but he’s scored 60 points in my PPR league so far and has already had his bye. The only kicker who’s even close is Zuerlein with 59 (almost no one else is above 50) and he’s played an extra game. Add to this that Kittle has had somewhat of a down year so far and some positive regression can be expected 2nd half of the year, and Kittle over a kicker is a no brainer for me lol. 

I feel like at this point you’re just saying this stuff to argue, but in the off chance you’re seriously advocating rostering a kicker over a startable RB, all I can say is while they may have similar floor the RB’s ceiling is much higher. And if an RB routinely gets only 3 or 4 points/week he usually won’t be sticking on my roster very long. But many kickers get that most weeks in my league. Seriously I’m not sweating the missed 3-4 points per week as long as the outcome of my matchup isn’t affected, and I don’t think you should either. 😆

I think $ leagues should incorporate slightly reduced scoring for kickers.  I don't believe kickers should be eliminated. I would make it:

FG < 30 yards = 0.0 points

FG > or = 30 yards = length of FG -1 point

So a 30 yd FG = 2 pts.  35 yd FG = 2.5 pts.  50 yd FG = 4 pts. Etc.  At least slightly reduce the drastic effects kickers can have on outcomes. 

1 hour ago, GarrettHasTheClap said:

2 year lurker posting for the first time. I love IDPs. I don't know why people are so opposed to them. Makes it pretty fun imo.

Yup. I love the challenge. Leagues without them are too easy IMO.