Sign in to follow this  
summersoff7

Better strategy: Overload becoming elite in certain stats or draft for balance?

I always run into this predicament.  Drafting and securing certain stats leaves you open to punting 2 or even 3 cats that leaves you dangerously vulnerable if any player gets injured.

Or

Draft balanced and not become elite in any one stat leaving you a very mediocre team.

Which way do you prefer?

It's not really so much as what I prefer as what I feel I'm forced to do.  Some players push you strongly into one direction or another.  You draft BPA first round then in the second round or either try to find someone who compliments that first players strengths and/or hedge their weaknesses.  But the second player has strengths/weaknesses of his own, so you just sort of come into it organically.

• Like 1

I think it's important to communicate if we're talking auction or snake. Second is the league size. Being balance in a 20 team league can take you along way, however in a shallow league you're maybe toasted. Being elite in certain stats is an easier accomplishment in auction. Whereas in snake, I don't know how you guys do it without reaching for players.

-------

$300 Y! H2H Auction 1st Place Prize $1,800-2,100

Draft Oct 20th 1 hour, 5 min estimated draft

PM if interested

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I think it's important to communicate if we're talking auction or snake. Second is the league size. Being balance in a 20 team league can take you along way, however in a shallow league you're maybe toasted. Being elite in certain stats is an easier accomplishment in auction. Whereas in snake, I don't know how you guys do it without reaching for players.

-------

$300 Y! H2H Auction 1st Place Prize $1,800-2,100

Draft Oct 20th 1 hour, 5 min estimated draft

PM if interested

Should have said in my OP, thanks.  This is for H2H leagues, 12 man.

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

It's not really so much as what I prefer as what I feel I'm forced to do.  Some players push you strongly into one direction or another.  You draft BPA first round then in the second round or either try to find someone who compliments that first players strengths and/or hedge their weaknesses.  But the second player has strengths/weaknesses of his own, so you just sort of come into it organically.

this is true

• Like 1

balance is better as you can tweak ur build later in the year as you see how the other top teams are doing and where they are strong and weak and how to attack their teams.

you don't want to go up against a team that has the same build as you but slightly better because they lucked into a top 3 pick. 

that being said I did go triple punt in my 1st draft when I picked 1.1 but went balance in my 2nd draft.

• Like 1

Probably best to adapt based on your first two picks. Planning for 1 scenario can ruin your draft if someone picks the guys you planned for

On 10/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, colepenhagen said:

balance is better as you can tweak ur build later in the year as you see how the other top teams are doing and where they are strong and weak and how to attack their teams.

you don't want to go up against a team that has the same build as you but slightly better because they lucked into a top 3 pick. 

that being said I did go triple punt in my 1st draft when I picked 1.1 but went balance in my 2nd draft.

Any chance we can see your triple punt team? Curious to see how that goes

I currently run a 4-punt (Points, 3s, FT and TO) with 5 elite cats (pick 11 in a 12-team Yahoo, started with Lebron + Drummond). Drafted myself in a corner and would not recommend it.

However, given how streaming for 3s can be quite effective, it is not the worst strategy. It also hugely depends on how competitive your league is.

7 hours ago, IT2 said:

Any chance we can see your triple punt team? Curious to see how that goes

pg Westbrook, fox, rondo

sg Bledsoe, goran (winslow handcuff)

sf ingram, wiggins

pf/c AD, Adams, Bagley, Harrell, Ibaka (auto pick), winslow

pretty happy outsie inj to Bledsoe which doesn't look too serious.

Westbrook, wiggins, winslow only drag on fg% and my bigs should keep it solid.

dimes solid with rw, fox, Bledsoe, rondo, winslow/goran plus ad and ingram should be decent on dimes

both stocks and reb looks beastly and should be strong in pts depending on ingram and bagley

Edited by colepenhagen