MWon

De'Andre Hunter 2019-2020 Outlook

No thread on the #4 2019 pick?

The dude looks like a suitable Taurean Prince replacement, being mostly a 3 and D guy at SF.  My concerns would probably be that his offensive game isn't great, and even though he's supposedly an excellent defender, he also doesn't rack up stocks.  In addition, he'll likely get very little usage, even if he does get minutes, meaning it'll be tougher for him to make an impact in fantasy.

On the other hand, the bright side would have to be that he's a high lottery pick that the Hawks traded UP to get, and he's on a rebuilding team that emphasizes youth.  His efficiency last year at Virginia was 52/44/78, so he doesn't really hurt you in cats leagues. And lastly (most importantly), his competition for minutes is basically the oft-injured Crabbe and Bembry, who is a decent role player but probably not someone the Hawks want to focus on building up.  Would definitely help if he bulks up and plays PF; having him play a smaller stretch 4 if Collins shifts to 5 in small-ball lineups would improve his fantasy viability.  Either way, I can project him getting 25-30 minutes, but I'm also a bit worried he'll turn in to PJ or OG, basically defensive-minded forwards who have a lot of minutes but won't do anything with them, fantasy-wise.

So yeah, thoughts?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWon said:

I'm also a bit worried he'll turn in to PJ or OG, basically defensive-minded forwards who have a lot of minutes but won't do anything with them, fantasy-wise.

So yeah, thoughts?  

That's exactly my impressions on the dude. Solid NBA starter, but it won't show on the stat sheet. Not on Tony Snell's level of emptiness, but yeah...

I feel like this guy gets some rope for winning a national championship at least.

Cheap on the draft that's for sure.

Gotta remember he played at UVA and they were defense oriented, slow basketball. He could be a completely different player for Atlanta’s system. I think he’ll be good. 

1 hour ago, Portis4Potus said:

Gotta remember he played at UVA and they were defense oriented, slow basketball. He could be a completely different player for Atlanta’s system. I think he’ll be good. 

I think he'll be a great 3 and D cat guy.  Just not sure if he'll have the volume of counting stats to be relevant from that perspective.   

How do you think his rebounding stats will be? Assuming he gets 25-30 mins regularly

4-6 rebs

4 minutes ago, whips02 said:

How do you think his rebounding stats will be? Assuming he gets 25-30 mins regularly

Do you think he'll get 30mins per game? Just picked him up and drop derrick white. I'm high on this guy as a poormans covington

9 minutes ago, mmart_ph said:

Do you think he'll get 30mins per game? Just picked him up and drop derrick white. I'm high on this guy as a poormans covington

Playing the 3 and 4, yes i do.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, emordrago said:

Waste of time

lmao. I'm dissapointed too. I was expecting him to score 30 pts by the half. Damn!!

• Haha 1

He's not looking too great out there...getting the minutes, but not very involved in the offense

Edited by alexstr

3 minutes ago, alexstr said:

He's not looking too great out there...getting the minutes, but not very involved in the offense

It's hard to get involved when Trae launches everytime he touches the ball.

4 hours ago, alexstr said:

Prince was the same last year.....

Decent game from him tonight.  14 points and 9 rebounds with a steal. Pick him up since be plays on Tuesday and Thursday. 

Yea hes getting the minutes now and Lloyd loves him...great last guy to have! He rebounds really well from the wing position and the threes will fall...

Drafted him a la Donny Mitch from two years ago , slow out of the gate, dropped, then last night I feel was the awakening like Spida's awakening game about 2 and half weeks in...the confidence is growing, the 3s are falling and will fall more and he needs to view the team as his (and Trae's, yea) but his too...he rebounds so well from the wing and he can stock too...I'm excited...scooped and ready to hoop!!!

I think his minutes will increase with Collins out and usage probably as well.

BUT.. his real fantasy value will rely on stocks as he is a fairly low usage guy with OK rebounds and OK 3s. What worries me is that he wasn't a great stocks guy even in college despite being a good defender and he might be one of those better in real life than fantasy kind of guys.

• Like 1

how does huerters 2 week absence bump his value, worth an add in 12 team points leagues? Only thing i'm concerned about is that he's just a 3 and D guy and trae young can just shoot whenever he wants cuz he's cold