Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollobobo

The Must-Own Matt LaPorta Thread

Best of luck LaPorta! I was looking forward to seeing him this fall or next season but you have to give up talent to get talent. I see LaPorta as a future .260 to .280 with 25-35 HR potential. Amazing to think that he's only been playing the OF for the past year and a half too.

Did Milwaukee have a negotiation window with CC or will they take the compensation as a worst case scenario come the off-season?

Its basically to win now and get the compensation when he leaves in free agency. I would like to sign him long term and let Sheet walk but there's no way we can even come close to affording him.

You think so?

Mat Gamel:

344 AB, 15 HR, 75 RBI, 70 R, .381 BA... 62K... OBP .443, SLG .637

Matt LaPorta:

296 AB, 20 HR, 66 RBI, 55 R, .291 BA... 62K... OBP .404, SLG .584

I think if both play up to their hype and potential Laporta will be more of a .280-.290 hitter with 40-45 HR potential and Gamel would be more of a .300+ hitter with 30-35 HR potential. Of course that's easy to say because that's about what they are doing right now lol.

I agree, I own both in my dynasty. Sometimes people just look at name power vs. actual raw #'s, Gamel is a solid high-upside hitter, albeit at this point w/out a true position. Once, if, LaPorta gets traded that will change. I do think, however, LaPorta long-term has more 'Superstar' potential.

Nice work in having both because they both have tremendous potential... true LaPorta (23 years old) leaving does open some things up for Gamel (22) as LaPorta plays 1B and OF while Gamel is locked at 3B.

When I look at minor leaguers I look for batting average and OBP... it demonstrates ability to idenitfy pitches.

Swinging hard in the minors will get you homers in the minors, but at Double A hitters are only really seeing quality fastballs with some junk worked in.

A sub .300 BA in Double A probably will not translate immediately into quality stats in the bigs where pitchers can throw massive junk and 90+ heat.

LaPorta needs a little more seasoning in Triple A.

Lots of guys come up with power, but give me the high BA at the young age and let the power come as the kid matures.

Best of luck LaPorta! I was looking forward to seeing him this fall or next season but you have to give up talent to get talent. I see LaPorta as a future .260 to .280 with 25-35 HR potential. Amazing to think that he's only been playing the OF for the past year and a half too.

I agree completely. It's zero fun giving up a guy like LaPorta but such is like in any blockbuster deal. I'm pretty sure LaPorta will haunt us for years to come...but at least he'll be in a different league and not directly beating up on the Brewers.

I agree completely. It's zero fun giving up a guy like LaPorta but such is like in any blockbuster deal. I'm pretty sure LaPorta will haunt us for years to come...but at least he'll be in a different league and not directly beating up on the Brewers.

Same here. Hopefully Sabathia will work out for us. We really had no choice though, its now or never and luckily our farm system is loaded with prospects. With all the picks we had this year and all the picks we'll have next year I think that will make up for the big loss of LaPorta.

Brewers fans don't worry about LaPorta when you're getting last year's Cy Young winner! I'd rather take a proven stud than a potential stud, especially when you already have a bunch of home run hitters on your team.

not sure i totally get all the excitement here - if the deal goes down there is still a good chance that laporta stays in the minors until september

Brewers fans don't worry about LaPorta when you're getting last year's Cy Young winner! I'd rather take a proven stud than a potential stud, especially when you already have a bunch of home run hitters on your team.

While I agree with you, just imagine an OF of Braun in LF, Hart in CF, and LaPorta in RF.

Wasn't LaPorta playing LF? I am not sure I can imagine both him and Braun in an OF somewhere.

Great deal for both sides here, hard to imagine any downside.

You think so?

Mat Gamel:

344 AB, 15 HR, 75 RBI, 70 R, .381 BA... 62K... OBP .443, SLG .637

Matt LaPorta:

296 AB, 20 HR, 66 RBI, 55 R, .291 BA... 62K... OBP .404, SLG .584

Gamel:

.429 BABIP, .251 ISOP, 10.3% BB rate, 15.8% K rate.

LaPorta:

.306 BABP, .288 ISP, 13% BB rate, 17.1 % K rate

LaPorta also has a much higher ceiling power wise than Gamel, and I'd take LaPorta over Gamel. However, Gamel is still a very good prospect with a bright future with a bat.

Wasn't LaPorta playing LF? I am not sure I can imagine both him and Braun in an OF somewhere.

When Braun moved to LF LaPorta moved to RF.

Right field I believe, and yes it would probably be the worst defensive outfield in the bigs lol. Although I think Braun will eventually turn into a solid outfielder and I think Hart's defense is better than most people think.

Right field I believe, and yes it would probably be the worst defensive outfield in the bigs lol. Although I think Braun will eventually turn into a solid outfielder and I think Hart's defense is better than most people think.

Braun has actually been pretty great in the OF so far. He has 0 errors so far on the season. He struggled at 3B with mostly throwing errors.

Why can't the thread just focus on LaPorta/CC, rather than bashing someone or trying to 'show' someone up b/cause they make a comparison to another player, IE; Gamel.

Update: Going to Cleveland LOL.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long for his major league debut.

While I agree with you, just imagine an OF of Braun in LF, Hart in CF, and LaPorta in RF.

Now imagine next year - Braun still in LF where he's already shown great improvement, Hart still in RF where he is actually one of the best defensive right fielders in the NL (for some reason he doesn't get the credit he deserves for it), and Tony Gwynn Jr in Center Field. Mind you - that would put Gwynn as the Brewers lead off hitter and finally move Weeks down in the order where he belongs.

It's a great day to be a Brewers fan.

Braun has actually been pretty great in the OF so far. He has 0 errors so far on the season. He struggled at 3B with mostly throwing errors.

I don't watch Brewers games that much, but how has Braun's range been?

I don't get to watch a ton of games either but from what i've seen he's definitly got the speed, he just seems to misjudge the ball from time to time which should improve with experience.

He's actually quite athletic and faster than many give him credit for. He doesn't steal alot of bases because we don't want him running in front of Prince but so far he's shown the range in the OF. He's made a few good plays, a few diving catches, plays the ball off the wall pretty well, but he's got some work to do.

Now imagine next year - Braun still in LF where he's already shown great improvement, Hart still in RF where he is actually one of the best defensive right fielders in the NL (for some reason he doesn't get the credit he deserves for it), and Tony Gwynn Jr in Center Field. Mind you - that would put Gwynn as the Brewers lead off hitter and finally move Weeks down in the order where he belongs.

It's a great day to be a Brewers fan.

Eh, I'm not a real big Gywnn Jr. fan. He's got speed and plays good defense but IMO he won't ever be a regular for the Brewers.

BRING ON MATTY LAPORTA!!!!

The Fuggers need you!