Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollobobo

The Must-Own Matt LaPorta Thread

From the Cleveland side, I do like the deal. Would I like to have seen Gamel or even Alcdes Escobar in the deal? You bet....but we fill a need with top hitting prospect that can fill a need right away and there's no way Milwaukee gives up 2 top prospects for what is a rental (even if that rental is the 2007 Cy Young winner). I bet somewhere, you can hear David Dellucci and his .218 average say, "crap!" I really hate the sports radio here in Cleveland as the guys are already bashing the deal, basically because they hate everything Wedge and Shapiro do. I mean really, do they think Milwaukee was going to give up any of those other kids? A Color for Sizemore/Lee/Phillips deal is not going to happen again.

There is absolutely no reason for the Indians to wait on LaPorta with the way the season is going now. Why? So they can keep playing David Dellucci?

Dynasty/Keeper/NL/Mixed Leagues, I'd have no problem using a top priority on this kid....he's going to see the bigs soon enough.

M

I think the real relevent fantasy question is which pitcher fills CC's spot in the Indians rotation?

David Huff, maybe?

With Seth McClung getting bounced by the Brew Crew. (Suppan SHOULD but probably won't.)

I want the dude with 30+ homers already this year to get called up instead. Dallas McPherson

McPherson will never be good. He's had multiple chances and he's never captilalized. He's got tons of talent but hey, he just never can put it together in the Show. Minor league numbers aside, he's a joke when he gets called up every time.

LaPorta should be watched for the first few games if he gets to start in Cleveland. I still think he'll need to work on plate discipline, but what rook doesn't?

Dropped Wieters for him in my dynasty league. Got Fausto and Dallas in my other farm spots...

You dropped Wieters over Fausto De Los Santos (having an awful year) and Dallas McPhearson (minor league journeyman)?? Wow Wieters will likely get a majority of the O's catching duties next year. Weiters is the best catching prospect right now... If you consider Jeff Clement to be a major leaguer. I Weiters has the upside to be the #1 fantasy catcher with in a couple of years.

McPherson will never be good. He's had multiple chances and he's never captilalized. He's got tons of talent but hey, he just never can put it together in the Show. Minor league numbers aside, he's a joke when he gets called up every time.

Many said the same thing about Pena. Anybody who's doing as well as they are now in AAA has to get some attention.

You dropped Wieters over Fausto De Los Santos (having an awful year) and Dallas McPhearson (minor league journeyman)?? Wow Wieters will likely get a majority of the O's catching duties next year. Weiters is the best catching prospect right now... If you consider Jeff Clement to be a major leaguer. I Weiters has the upside to be the #1 fantasy catcher with in a couple of years.

Our Dynasty league, you can only keep 5 players total, so minor leaguers are never kept (ie no loss of DP, so I'll keep BPhil, Braun, CC, Hamilton, and one other person over Wieters (who I don't think will come up this year).

Dallas has more of a chance playing in the bigs this year, as does Fausto (obviously). And I think Lince posted a thread showing that Fausto's rookie numbers mirror Webb's almost exactly. If it wasn't Lince it was someone else...

Many said the same thing about Pena. Anybody who's doing as well as they are now in AAA has to get some attention.

And to a lesser extent...Ankiel

There is absolutely no reason for the Indians to wait on LaPorta with the way the season is going now. Why? So they can keep playing David Dellucci?

Dynasty/Keeper/NL/Mixed Leagues, I'd have no problem using a top priority on this kid....he's going to see the bigs soon enough.

They need to get LaPorta into Triple A before bringing him into the majors. Let him dominate Triple A pitching (if he even can). He has slowed down as of late, hitting only .257 slugging .428 with only 1 HR over his last 10 games and hitting only .207 in his last 8 games.... As well as a dwindling contact rate in June striking out every 4.32 ABs in June compared to striking out every 4.79 AB on the season. Let him find his swing in Triple A for a month or so to get really comfortable then let him get some major league ABs if he shows good AAA success. The Indians have no need to rush him, the Indians are obviously throwing up the white flag in the AL Central and why not? They are 14 games out and have less wins than The Royals.

They need to get LaPorta into Triple A before bringing him into the majors. Let him dominate Triple A pitching (if he even can). He has slowed down as of late, hitting only .257 slugging .428 with only 1 HR over his last 10 games and hitting only .207 in his last 8 games.... As well as a dwindling contact rate in June striking out every 4.32 ABs in June compared to striking out every 4.79 AB on the season. Let him find his swing in Triple A for a month or so to get really comfortable then let him get some major league ABs if he shows good AAA success. The Indians have no need to rush him, the Indians are obviously throwing up the white flag in the AL Central and why not? They are 14 games out and have less wins than The Royals.

People are getting excited about those numbers???

People are getting excited about those numbers???

Those are numbers over his last 10 games through a slump.

What he's not batting 1.000 on the year, f'that, definetly not interested in keeping him in my dynasty then.

Here's the MILB link

Matt LaPorta - MILB Numbers

M

Overrated

Wouldn't you rather have these numbers nice

Overrated

Wouldn't you rather have these numbers nice

No. His back will give out before he knocks a HR out in the majors.

I think the real relevent fantasy question is which pitcher fills CC's spot in the Indians rotation?

Unfortunately, the Tribe signed Jeff Weaver a couple days ago to a minor league deal.

Unfortunately, the Tribe signed Jeff Weaver a couple days ago to a minor league deal.

Carmona will take his spot when healthy

Carmona will take his spot when healthy

We know you love McPherson, but he's the Crash Davis of Baseball. If he was so good the Marlins would have called him up. Believe me, there IS a lot to like and I understand why you lioke him, but he's been to the show a few times and he hasn't stuck yet. If anyone can make him into something special though it would be the Marlins since they always seem to find gold with former prospects...COUGH....Jorge Cantu.

LaPorta should be called up immediately. Why let him waste away OR at least promote to Triple A and give him a week or two. If he's dominating then bring him up.

Dropped Wieters for him in my dynasty league. Got Fausto and Dallas in my other farm spots...

I wouldn't have done that. Wieters in a dynasty league is a lot more valuable than LaPorta.

I wouldn't have done that. Wieters in a dynasty league is a lot more valuable than LaPorta.

As a LaPorta owner, I agree 100%, C-are far more valuable, I 2nd this, very bad move.

So lets say LaPorta gets the call and is going to see some good time...do I take a shot with him over anyone I have now?

LaPorta is a natural 1B.... He was moved because of Prince Fielder, who the Brew-crew might have trouble resigning to a long term deal.... I believe that if you bring him up right away he will have a very long learning curve adjusting to MLB pitching.... It seems that people are expecting Ryan Braun type numbers from him, but that probably won't happen.... There has been a lot of talk who is the best young long term power hitter.... LaPorta is special in that aspect, but so is Chris Davis and he already has produced at AAA and has started his learning curve in the majors (not to mention that he is a year younger than LaPorta).... The Brewers got a steal in this deal because power is a dime a dozen, but a bonafide ace is very hard to find....

So lets say LaPorta gets the call and is going to see some good time...do I take a shot with him over anyone I have now?

Try that out in Bench Forum, sorry.

I think LaPorta or any other rookie is more of a big deal in keeper/dynasty formats. Not sure why those in annual leagues go so crazy, most of these rookie do not perform right away or are fairly inconsistent.

For the record, I own LaPorta in my dynasty & could not be happier.

Sorry about that, I just figured I would get the quick answer here, thanks for the advice anyways.