COBBLEPOT

Demar Derozan 2019-2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

he had an incredible first half of last season and then fell off post asb..

 

this may just be a retribution year for him .. and he’s supposedly going to be taking more threes this season, as well.

 

i took him in the 5th round (52nd overall), which i believe is a round later than where he should be going. 

Edited by COBBLEPOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has his usefulness. Elite points, good assist, a FT anchor. Eh... As a player not my cup of tea though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes great to offset a bad ft% player. Theres very few high ftm ft% helpers that can be found past the 3rd, its pretty much LMA DeRozan, Lou Williams, Middleton. Stops there unless I'm missing someone else with high ftm. Conley maybe? 

Just wish he took some damn 3s already... same with LMA. I find it hard to believe these guys are such good mid range shooters and can't be successful a few ft further back if they trained for it. It blows my mind. The same way lonzo can shoot 3s and not make fts... makes no sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Hes great to offset a bad ft% player. Theres very few high ftm ft% helpers that can be found past the 3rd, its pretty much LMA DeRozan, Lou Williams, Middleton. Stops there unless I'm missing someone else with high ftm. Conley maybe? 

Just wish he took some damn 3s already... same with LMA. I find it hard to believe these guys are such good mid range shooters and can't be successful a few ft further back if they trained for it. It blows my mind. The same way lonzo can shoot 3s and not make fts... makes no sense to me

 

Middleton is not a FT anchor. Nor is Conley. It's about volume / attempts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarmStrong said:

Given the build I have him in, I'd prefer he did not take threes. Not what I signed up for. 

 

youre gunna be disappointed then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

 

Middleton is not a FT anchor. Nor is Conley. It's about volume / attempts.

Conley is a better FT anchor than DeRozan.  Conley=.845 of 5.8 attempts.  DeRozan is .831 of 5.7 attempts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johnval1362 said:

Hes great to offset a bad ft% player. Theres very few high ftm ft% helpers that can be found past the 3rd, its pretty much LMA DeRozan, Lou Williams, Middleton. Stops there unless I'm missing someone else with high ftm. Conley maybe? 

Just wish he took some damn 3s already... same with LMA. I find it hard to believe these guys are such good mid range shooters and can't be successful a few ft further back if they trained for it. It blows my mind. The same way lonzo can shoot 3s and not make fts... makes no sense to me. 

Don’t forget about Gallo

90% on 6 attempts 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, COBBLEPOT said:

 

youre gunna be disappointed then 

 

This wouldn't be his first time claiming he's going to take more threes... 

 

Unless you're Pop, I'd wait and see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HarmStrong said:

 

This wouldn't be his first time claiming he's going to take more threes... 

 

Unless you're Pop, I'd wait and see. 

 

Pop is the one who said it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

 

Pop is the one who said it 


And I'm not surprised at all. Someone has to provide spacing for them.... or at least try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a Derozan guy but if I was I sure wouldn’t want him jacking up 3’s with that 28.3% career clip. 

Edited by HK-47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

I’m not a Derozan guy but if I was I sure wouldn’t want him jacking up 3’s with that 28.3% career clip. 

 

 

if he’s back at 30-34%, that’s fine with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been seeing a lot of "hate" on DeRozan for some reason in other threads, naming him as a "Do Not Draft" kind of guy...

I can maybe see it from a "Don't draft him at his current ADP", but I don't think he should be left off peoples draft boards completely.

 

He feels like a guy who, if he falls to you at Pick 60 or better, you gotta consider taking him. It's hard to find 20-5-5 with good FG/FT% past ADP 50.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Been seeing a lot of "hate" on DeRozan for some reason in other threads, naming him as a "Do Not Draft" kind of guy...

I can maybe see it from a "Don't draft him at his current ADP", but I don't think he should be left off peoples draft boards completely.

 

He feels like a guy who, if he falls to you at Pick 60 or better, you gotta consider taking him. It's hard to find 20-5-5 with good FG/FT% past ADP 50.

Well, the dislike is unwarranted.  As you said 21/6/6 is difficult to find in the 5th round.  No one else in that round produces similar popcorn stats except for maybe Lowry (punt FG) and LaVine (punt TO).  Either way you have to make concessions somewhere to get his production in the midrounds.  His stocks are actually ok, 1.1 steals/.5 blocks.  He is efficient, his FG is higher than other SGs bc he doesn't shoot twos, that's the trade off.  Top 25 in FT% impact.  48/83 (on high volume).  The only thing people don't like are a lack of threes, which you can punt, or make them up elsewhere bc they're not scarce.  Not to mention if you've overdrafted threes with someone like Curry he's a way to get your other counting stats up.  He's 39th if you punt TO or 27th if you punt threes.  Punt both and he's 25th.  It shouldn't be too difficult to find a use for him.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bold prediction, he’ll be back with his 16-17’ Raptors days number and carry the spurs to the 8th seed

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 7:44 PM, HK-47 said:

I’m not a Derozan guy but if I was I sure wouldn’t want him jacking up 3’s with that 28.3% career clip. 

Why do people care what his 3's percentage is?   Is it a category in your league?

As long as he gives me 20+ pts on 45% or better FG% I don't care if his 3's percentage is 2%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Why do people care what his 3's percentage is?   Is it a category in your league?

As long as he gives me 20+ pts on 45% or better FG% I don't care if his 3's percentage is 2%.

 

it’s a category in my league but i think most cats are worried that the threes at a low percentage will bring down the overall percentage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Why do people care what his 3's percentage is?   Is it a category in your league?

As long as he gives me 20+ pts on 45% or better FG% I don't care if his 3's percentage is 2%.

Simple math. Based on his career mark from deep he won’t hit enough to justify the drop in FG% it would cause. That’s why his percentage matters and why talk him shooting more of them matters. It would have a negative effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Simple math. Based on his career mark from deep he won’t hit enough to justify the drop in FG% it would cause. That’s why his percentage matters and why talk him shooting more of them matters. It would have a negative effect.  I cannot predict the future , but I can look at the past data.  Last  four years should be big enough sample.

FG%/3PTA/3PT%

18/19  - 48.1/0.6/15.6

17/18  - 45.6/3.6/31

16/17 - 46.7/1.7/26.6

15/16 - 44.6/1.8/33.8

I don't see significant  drop.   Would you mind  to elaborate that simple math you are talking about?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

FG%/3PTA/3PT%

18/19  - 48.1/0.6/15.6

17/18  - 45.6/3.6/31

16/17 - 46.7/1.7/26.6

15/16 - 44.6/1.8/33.8

I don't see significant  drop.   Would you mind  to elaborate that simple math you are talking about?

 

Did you miss why I even posted my original comment? It's because it was mentioned that there is talk of him shooting more 3's. If he takes 3-4 a game the 45% is highly unlikely. He's at 45.1% at only 1.6 attempts per game for his career. Also, there is nothing good about 0.4 threes a game made for your career at that FG%. You have guys out there shooting at that clip who make way more per game....because they are good from deep. It's not his game...it's not why he is drafted. He is 7.2% below league average from deep. Him shooting more 3's isn't good. Math. 

Edited by HK-47
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

 

Did you miss why I even posted my original comment? It's because it was mentioned that there is talk of him shooting more 3's. If he takes 3-4 a game the 45% is highly unlikely. He's at 45.1% at only 1.6 attempts per game for his career. Also, there is nothing good about 0.4 threes a game made for your career at that FG%. You have guys out there shooting at that clip who make way more per game....because they are good from deep. It's not his game...it's not why he is drafted. He is 7.2% below league average from deep. Him shooting more 3's isn't good. Math. 

in 2017/18 he attempted 3.6   3s for 23pts/ 45.6 FG%.  Will it happen again, we will see ( I believe it will). 

So math (good or bad) is not really applicable here. 

Will he be  sharpshooter like Curry"  Of course not. Can he  have 1+ 3pm for the season  at 45+ fg%?   Yes, he can

   
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.