Walk with me

2019-2020 DO NOT DRAFT!!!! LIST

Just now, StifleTower2 said:

Anything that adds up to 75+ Roto points in a 12 teamer, in any configuration.  

This post doesnt say for roto only, read my signature, H2H.

5 minutes ago, NBA_OG said:

This post doesnt say for roto only, read my signature, H2H.

Well then if it’s H2H then you should be even more inclined to punt threes.  

Well then if it’s H2H then you should be even more inclined to punt threes.  

Your logic behind that? 

Just now, NBA_OG said:

Your logic behind that? 

People don’t generally want to punt categories in roto but are generally more willing to do so in H2H.  Many people are just looking for 6 cats in H2H they are trying to win each week so punting threes is trivial.  Not to mention having one wing that doesn’t hit threes isn’t necessarily damning.  But if you’re playing H2H leagues and you don’t want to draft DeRozan bc you want to be strong in threes that’s your prerogative.  

People don’t generally want to punt categories in roto but are generally more willing to do so in H2H.  Many people are just looking for 6 cats in H2H they are trying to win each week so punting threes is trivial.  

Based on that, punting ANY 3 categories makes sense. Why punt 3s? You havent explained it at all. Play H2H once then come back and post, thanks.

1 minute ago, NBA_OG said:

Based on that, punting ANY 3 categories makes sense. Why punt 3s? You havent explained it at all. Play H2H once then come back and post, thanks.

Lol I made 7k net last year playing both H2H and roto.  I have a 60% match win rate in H2H in $500 buy in leagues.  60% isn’t that impressive except its in the highest stakes.  I wouldn’t post all that except I knew ad hominem was coming and it came.  For our next posts how about we both post our league safe accounts and yahoo profiles (names redacted). Ready?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Anyway your reasoning is completely backward.  You don’t come into a draft punting threes but if you pick BPA the first few picks yet don’t have threes by then you may as well give up threes (by your own reasoning).  Threes is the least scarce cat yet some of the best players don’t hit threes.  Suppose you drafted AD or Giannis first.  With AD you could go punt assists. With Giannis punt FT.  However you could also punt threes.  If you take AD you want to build around his strengths, which is basically anything except assists and threes.  So you took AD and the next two rounds you got Turner and LMA.  Now your team is killing efficiency, blocks, rebounds.  Then you take Shai bc you need his steals and he’s Pg eligible, which you’ll need even when punting assists.  Now you need a wing.  You’re too far behind in threes to make it up, in your own words bc you said if you don’t fill up in guards who hit threes you’re sunk.  But now DeRozan is available. You can take his 21/6/6 line with 1.2 steals and .4 blocks. Keep your points, rebounds up.  Get a cheap FT% anchor.  Maybe only be semi-punting assists if you can find some later.  At that point punting would be trivial.  The fact that I have to explain punting to you, the fact that you seem to think punting is more common in roto, and your trigger finger on ad hominem leads me to believe you have 0 roto experience and play 1 friends and family H2H league. 

• Like 7

I understand why some people want to avoid Westbrook, fg%, ft% and turnovers, but he's a walking triple double that gives you 2 steals a game and can get you over 1.5 3s a game. And if you like quality games, the Rockets have a ton of them this season.

Edited by driss lol

14 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Anyway your reasoning is completely backward.  You don’t come into a draft punting threes but if you pick BPA the first few picks yet don’t have threes by then you may as well give up threes (by your own reasoning).  Threes is the least scarce cat yet some of the best players don’t hit threes.  Suppose you drafted AD or Giannis first.  With AD you could go punt assists. With Giannis punt FT.  However you could also punt threes.  If you take AD you want to build around his strengths, which is basically anything except assists and threes.  So you took AD and the next two rounds you got Turner and LMA.  Now your team is killing efficiency, blocks, rebounds.  Then you take Shai bc you need his steals and he’s Pg eligible, which you’ll need even when punting assists.  Now you need a wing.  You’re too far behind in threes to make it up, in your own words bc you said if you don’t fill up in guards who hit threes you’re sunk.  But now DeRozan is available. You can take his 21/6/6 line with 1.2 steals and .4 blocks. Keep your points, rebounds up.  Get a cheap FT% anchor.  Maybe only be semi-punting assists if you can find some later.  At that point punting would be trivial.  The fact that I have to explain punting to you, the fact that you seem to think punting is more common in roto, and your trigger finger on ad hominem leads me to believe you have 0 roto experience and play 1 friends and family H2H league. 

Dat Ether.....😲

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Lol I made 7k net last year playing both H2H and roto.  I have a 60% match win rate in H2H in $500 buy in leagues.  60% isn’t that impressive except its in the highest stakes.  I wouldn’t post all that except I knew ad hominem was coming and it came.  For our next posts how about we both post our league safe accounts and yahoo profiles (names redacted). Ready?

lmao don't poke the bear

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rando said:

This is why I specified in the post that it is a roto list. Wiggins is another important one, and I've never drafted John Wall even if this year nobody is. I also usually avoid higher ranked guys who are either inconsistent year to year, like Brook Lopez, or are difficult fits with a balanced roto team like Draymond (not everyone will agree he is a tough fit).

WFK DeRozan was the last guy to make that list... he's an example of a player who is always overdrafted and I never end up with so I don't really give them a lot of thought. But he is a pretty good fit and his FT impact is nice and underappreciated.

I totally agree with the overdrafted part; I've only ended up with DeRozan on one of my squads once throughout the years, because he's generally drafted way too early for my liking (or too expensive in auction). But at the right price I'd definitely take him without a doubt, so I wouldn't put him on my DND-list (or else it would include a lot of players whose price is too high for my liking). The others (Wiggins is another solid mention) on that list I wouldn't touch with 10 ft pole.

Draymond I'm okay with, although his ridiculously low PPG combined with his pretty bad efficiency don't make him too big of a target of mine.

BroLo I actually like in roto; his unique skillset (basically a SG with 2bpg) make him a great fit with more traditional rebounding big men. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cats Roto leagues, some DND guys at their ADPs:

The Brow - Unless he falls to 6 overall. Every trip to the locker room he takes, and he will take many, has you feeling stomach-sick.

Westy - A drag in both FG% and FT%

Mitch Rob - Elite BLKs, pretty mediocre elsewhere and plays for the Knicks, not enough value where he is being taken IMO 

Porzingis - He is going to rest a lot, and that´s if he manages to stay healthy.

As being pointed out, at some point EVERYONE has value, so a hard DND player doesn´t exist on my board.

5 hours ago, chaiway said:

Horford? I always thought of him as a perfect roto guy... contributions across the board with high percentages and out of position assists. Perfect glue guy

Because in my eyes he is def set to decline, massively. Ive loved Horford for roto every year except this year. Playing with the sixers is not a good fit for him and it will hurt him. Some peoples argument that he will be fine is because Embiid will miss 20 games. So thats the hope for him to be good, is to pray someone else gets injured? Man come on, i dont draft guys to hope someone else gets hurt for them to produce.

34 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

Because in my eyes he is def set to decline, massively. Ive loved Horford for roto every year except this year. Playing with the sixers is not a good fit for him and it will hurt him. Some peoples argument that he will be fine is because Embiid will miss 20 games. So thats the hope for him to be good, is to pray someone else gets injured? Man come on, i dont draft guys to hope someone else gets hurt for them to produce.

wow. I have exactly the opposite opinion. With Sixers Horford is great fit.

Lots of things indicating he will have a good year:

1. Embiid factor (great player and load management risk)
  2. very thin bench
  3. his ability to hit 3s makes him great fit with Simmons

What makes you thing he is going to decline and that he is a bad fit?   Too old at 33?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I came in here to point this out but you went in dry on him already LOL.

But yeah, punting in roto is a surefire way to lose because you're gonna have an EXTREMELY difficult uphill battle everywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

wow. I have exactly the opposite opinion. With Sixers Horford is great fit.

Lots of things indicating he will have a good year:

1. Embiid factor (great player and load management risk)
  2. very thin bench
  3. his ability to hit 3s makes him great fit with Simmons

What makes you thing he is going to decline and that he is a bad fit?   Too old at 33?  

Massive decline = Horford averaging 7pts/4rbs a game 😂

4 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Derrick Favors; In relation to where he’s getting picked.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

Massive decline = Horford averaging 7pts/4rbs a game 😂

what is your reasoning to expect his decline?

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

what is your reasoning to expect his decline?

I was the guy who said he was gonna decline. Massive decline was an exaggeration ok, but he will still decline. Ive already talked about it in the Horford thread, but ill mention it again.

Hes been playing center for about 8 years now, and hes been relied upon to be the guy who they can occasionally run the offense through, which is why his assists are always good. Sixers already have a good passing big in Embiid, and several others who pass well. Now that hes moving to PF, hes basically gonna be the guy who spreads the floor for Embiid. Once teams go into small ball lineups, they will notice his 33 yr old legs wont be able to keep with the quickness, which will effect his minutes. To basically combat that, they will have to use Horford off the bench for Embiid. But Embiid plays 34 mins, even if they were to cut that down to 31, Horford would have to play all 17 mins that hes not on the floor to increase his production. Then you also have to hope Embiid misses a ton of games. Too many things you have to hope to go right for him to produce. 

Im expecting 11, 6 rebs, 3 asts, .6 stls, .9 blks, 1 three, solid percentages and tos. Thats decent, but not enough for me to target him for his price. I could be totally wrong about this, but id rather not even take the chance.

I kind of avoid him as well. There are more exciting options in the middle rounds. And he will sit out some games too.

8 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

I was the guy who said he was gonna decline. Massive decline was an exaggeration ok, but he will still decline. Ive already talked about it in the Horford thread, but ill mention it again.

Hes been playing center for about 8 years now, and hes been relied upon to be the guy who they can occasionally run the offense through, which is why his assists are always good. Sixers already have a good passing big in Embiid, and several others who pass well. Now that hes moving to PF, hes basically gonna be the guy who spreads the floor for Embiid. Once teams go into small ball lineups, they will notice his 33 yr old legs wont be able to keep with the quickness, which will effect his minutes. To basically combat that, they will have to use Horford off the bench for Embiid. But Embiid plays 34 mins, even if they were to cut that down to 31, Horford would have to play all 17 mins that hes not on the floor to increase his production. Then you also have to hope Embiid misses a ton of games. Too many things you have to hope to go right for him to produce. 

Im expecting 11, 6 rebs, 3 asts, .6 stls, .9 blks, 1 three, solid percentages and tos. Thats decent, but not enough for me to target him for his price. I could be totally wrong about this, but id rather not even take the chance.

Edited by Chrizz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

all right then, we will agree to disagree. I still expect top-50 finish  (per game), so I will happily draft him in 6th and later

• Like 1

I also expect Horford's line to decline slightly re the popcorn stats, especially assists if you look at the preseason.  However, that wasn't why you drafted him anyway.  You draft him for an efficient source of blocks/threes, the assists were a bonus.  No matter what team he has been on, regardless of usage, he has always been 1.1 blocks or above and his threes have has been either 1.1 or 1.3.  Given that he is going to be more of a stretch four, I think his rebounds and FG will drop a little, but threes will go up.  I think this is more likely: 12/6/3 with 1.3 blocks, 1.3 threes, and .8 steals .500/.820/1.5 TO.    If you're going strictly off BBM that will still be a top 50 player, any player who can get a block and a three, and shoot 50/80+ will always finish high on the player rater due to scarcity of blocks and efficiency.  Now if you personally don't appreciate that skillset for whatever reason, that's fine.  He will be top 50 in 9 cat roto.