heyitsmattdelly

PJ Washington 2019-2020 Outlook

13 minutes ago, TheBoondocks said:

Quite rash lol. I'm in a 12 reamer and considering chopping Gay for him

If Gay is the worst player on your team, you should definitely do that just for upside only

I feel my excitement for him rising. Seeing him play this preseason has been very impressive. Im between him and looney at the moment and slightly leaning towards him because of his SF/ PF eligibility on Yahoo.

Id go PJ. Looney is nice but I dont think an old school big man will ever put up very useful stats in GS' system. PJ could providr across the board value.

3 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Id go PJ. Looney is nice but I dont think an old school big man will ever put up very useful stats in GS' system. PJ could providr across the board value.

I like your thinking.

Looney is really overrated. He's a better real life player than a fantasy one. Low end double doubles? He won't have Powell's FT% or 3 point shooting, why is he being hyped so much?

The other part is that the Warriors system doesn't use their Centers for production, it's a guard oriented system, their bigs are used for high elbow hand offs, screens, rolls, alley oops, and high post passing. Draymond barely even scores, he's utilized quite similarly. Now, one could make the argument this year they'll need more across the roster production, but I personally don't see the appeal. 

I'm much more intrigued by Centers who give me 1/1/1 appeal while also being good in other areas. 

PJ is potentially giving you 12/7/3/1/1 and 1 lines all year on fantastic %'s, that is a much greater value than a 10/8 guy with 60% FG and 60% FT and a block+. Looney won't have his dimes or 3's, I'm not really interested, and if I'm going that route I'll take Powell. 

I'm seeing Looney drafted 9th - 10th consistently, he seems way more like a 12th-13th rounder to me. In my second league draft yesterday I took Washington 10th, I'm not taking any chances.

3 hours ago, perkinsfor3 said:

Looney is adding three point range. The Warriors have WCS and Chriss (who crushed preseason). I'd be more worried about that.

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

Looney is adding three point range. The Warriors have WCS and Chriss (who crushed preseason). I'd be more worried about that.

there is really nothing to suggest Looney is going to start hitting threes - we haven’t seen him at all; not to say he isn’t capable, but so far he’s playing a glorified garbage big man role. Maybe they want him to eventually cede Draymond and be that multi contributor, but PJ is already showing us those skills, so why would I take a guy who could “theoretically” do it instead of the guy who’s actually doing it? 

34 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

PJ is potentially giving you 12/7/3/1/1 and 1 lines all year on fantastic %'s, that is a much greater value than a 10/8 guy with 60% FG and 60% FT and a block+. Looney won't have his dimes or 3's, I'm not really interested, and if I'm going that route I'll take Powell. 

He only hit seven boards in one game during preseason. If he starts he should be a lock for double digit points and a some stats right across the board. Based on preseason around five boards seems more likely early on anyway.

3 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

there is really nothing to suggest Looney is going to start hitting threes - we haven’t seen him at all; not to say he isn’t capable, but so far he’s playing a glorified garbage big man role. Maybe they want him to eventually cede Draymond and be that multi contributor, but PJ is already showing us those skills, so why would I take a guy who could “theoretically” do it instead of the guy who’s actually doing it? 

Glorified garbage man on one of the best teams in the league at 30 MPG means a solid fantasy glue guy to me.

15 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Glorified garbage man on one of the best teams in the league at 30 MPG means a solid fantasy glue guy to me.

the argument isn’t whether you or anyone will roster him, it’s whether he should go over Washington, and that’s a resounding no.

I'm not arguing anything. I'm making a comment. If it's a resounding no then no exaggeration should be needed. Truth would be a sufficient salesman.

11 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I'm not arguing anything. I'm making a comment. If it's a resounding no then no exaggeration should be needed. Truth would be a sufficient salesman.

what are you talking about? This is is a Washington thread right? Why are we discussing looney in the first place?

57 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

He only hit seven boards in one game during preseason. If he starts he should be a lock for double digit points and a some stats right across the board. Based on preseason around five boards seems more likely early on anyway.

In three of those games he played 23, 20, and 16 minutes. He averaged 5 in 25 mpg.

per 36 he averaged 7.5, so high 20s/low 30s is likely inbetween yours and mine. 

Edited by Lifschitz

In my opinion it’s still too early to tell what value he’d produce. There’s still MKG, Marvin, Bridges on their depth chart. I’d take a wait n’ see. 

14 minutes ago, sickrookie said:

In my opinion it’s still too early to tell what value he’d produce. There’s still MKG, Marvin, Bridges on their depth chart. I’d take a wait n’ see. 

Mkg is terrible. You can’t fix such a broke jumpshot, Marvin is 33 years old, he’s done and he’ll likely get shipped to a contender, ditto for Batum who looks disinterested playing for this team.

Borrego said he loves PJ and plans to play him at multiple spots.

Ive repeated this ad nauseam, borrego said it’s full on with the youth movement. Bridges plays sf and maybe some small ball 4, Washington slots in at two spots (sf pf), and said he prefers to play center, so we could potentially see him with 3 pos elig down the line.

Washington is a pretty safe bet for mid 20s minutes on a horrible team, and even more so after the first month.

this team is desperately searching for a star and has flopped in their drafts for several seasons outside of kemba. They have every reason to find a star to build around.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input. I can’t argue against your analysis, but my point is preseason = too small a sample size. Nobody can judge his value fairly at this point. Even if he gets starters minutes, he may not truly produce for fantasy teams. A lot of rookies have a monster preseason and struggle in regular. I’ll put him on my watch list. Good luck!!

7 minutes ago, sickrookie said:

Thanks for the input. I can’t argue against your analysis, but my point is preseason = too small a sample size. Nobody can judge his value fairly at this point. Even if he gets starters minutes, he may not truly produce for fantasy teams. A lot of rookies have a monster preseason and struggle in regular. I’ll put him on my watch list. Good luck!!

It depends on the size of your league. In any competitive money league 12 man and beyond I presume he's gone. 

It depends on the draft class, also think about how many rookies off the wire end up as top picks within just a season or within the same season.

Markkanen, Tatum, and Donovan were all pickups in my money league. So let's say hypothetically you drafted 3 bums in the last 3 rounds, why wouldn't you just take 3 hyped up rookies who were all top 10 picks (which all 3 above were) throw them at the wall and see which one sticks? Heck, if you drafted all 3 of the above guys, you just ended up with 3 players who ended up in top 6 round valuation within their FIRST season.. 

You'd way rather take upside rookies/young players late, worse case scenario you drop them, you can replace dewayne bacon or norman powell or whatever garbage at the end of your roster with any replacement level player and it won't make an ounce of difference. 

This past year's draft class is heralded as one of the deepest since LeBron/Melo.

Here's just a list of all the talent this year, it's ******** insane:

Brandon Clarke

Coby White

NWA

RJ Barrett

Zion 

Morant

Reddish

Herro

Hachimura

Jaxson Hayes (looked amazing in summer league)

Jarrett Culver

Darius Garland

Hunter

Thybulle

Washington

Cameron Johnson (shot lights out for phoenix in preseason)

Jordan Poole

Goga Bitadze (very talented big man for the Pacers)

Carsen Edwards (was in the 2nd round! and was one of the best scorers in the NCAA)

You even have players who will show up on the radar later like the Spurs Samanic, and Keldon Johnson, and possibly Darius Bazley for OKC. 

I mean out of all the players I listed, 13 of them are being rostered in competitive standard leagues.. I don't think I've ever seen that, even in preseason. No one takes that many rookies, but every year these guys are getting better and better because the college system is translating directly to the NBA in recent years with program changes, so the players coming out are more talented and more NBA ready than ever. It's also why we're seeing way fewer busts compared to the past, a decade or two ago you could count multiple busts in one draft, it's getting rarer now. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 4

^ I erroneously said Mitchell was top 10, he was 13th, but you get the point.

Edited by Lifschitz

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

what are you talking about? This is is a Washington thread right? Why are we discussing looney in the first place?

Champ, someone brought him up. Sorry, Champ. Won't happen again, Champ.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Kupchak said he was impressed with PJ Washington's play during the preseason and he expects him to be a rotation player right away.

After the Hornets took Washington with the No. 12 overall selection in the 2019 NBA Draft, Kupchak hinted that Washington could spend some time in the G-League, but he has changed his tune on that after an impressive preseason run. Kupchak wouldn't divulge if he expects Washington to start, but did say he's anticipating PJ to earn at least 15-22 minutes a night. Head coach James Borrego also flirted with the idea of starting Washington, and with the focus being player development this season, it should only be a matter of time until that happens.

42 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Champ, someone brought him up. Sorry, Champ. Won't happen again, Champ.

yeah they literally asked who should I take Washington or looney.. Christ..

So Kupchak says PJ Washington will play in the rotation around 15-22 mins then a report comes out that Batum said its better if the starters remain the same and that he is fine coming off the bench....soooooooooooooooooo????????

12 minutes ago, dfstout said:

So Kupchak says PJ Washington will play in the rotation around 15-22 mins then a report comes out that Batum said its better if the starters remain the same and that he is fine coming off the bench....soooooooooooooooooo????????

I'm sure Batum has made it clear that he'd probably want to contend, or otherwise just sit there and let the young guns develop. We saw that last year towards the end of the season with Deandre Jordan telling FIzdale to let Robinson play.

Do we have time to wait until tomorrow to pick him up? Wanna work the waiver wires but I'm not sure if there's time for that