Sign in to follow this  
kdpat15

Josh Oliver 2019 Outlook

Very athletic and this offense has TE friendly depth chart. Just about only TE left in Jax. Bengals suck, but tanked 11th vs TE. 

Immediate add in dynasty, wait and see in redraft imho... if you got an easy drop, give it a shot. 

Josh Oliver was pick 69th overall. sup Gronk.

Edited by tekashi26ix
  • Like 1

I’d this guy an immediate start over guys like Eric Ebron and the middle level TE. The Jaguars offence seems to like the TE. 

Oliver is immediately the Jaguars top pass-catching TE if healthy. My main concern would just be with him being a rookie as they tend to take time to get into any kind of groove if at all their rookie season. Also, he's just starting to learn how to block so his reps may still be limited compared to Swaim who is an accomplished blocker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. Good work guys. I'm thinking I'm going to pick him up in dynasty to pair with Mark Andrews going forward. Does anyone else have details on his college career and what his skills are like? Is he just big and fast in a straight line? Does he have some quickness in his steps to get open and do more than middle seem routes? Thanks for the intel. 

Yea people were speculating pre-season that he would play over Swaim even in week one.  Definite stash given the TE landscape.

Great/oustanding dynasty grab (if you hadn't already).

Due to the current TE land scape, I understand the desperation to start him immediately but do temper expectations (rookie TE), and beware as "he starts week 7 as long as there are no set backs," so stay tuned in come "inactive designation" time.

Edited by FollowTheLeader

So Swaim's been ruled out making Oliver the primary TE. [...] I might be rolling with the Jags only TE option this weekend. Anybody else?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

I really like the talent, I would just really temper expectations here with a rookie TE that has missed a huge chunk of dev time. He might not play all that many snaps, even with the teams sorry state at the position.

Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

I really like the talent, I would just really temper expectations here with a rookie TE that has missed a huge chunk of dev time. He might not play all that many snaps, even with the teams sorry state at the position.

Jags might not have a choice. He could possibly be the only TE rostered come Sunday 

Seth DeValve is the other TE on the roster I believe. He did play a season high 24 snaps last Sunday when Swaim exited with the concussion. So we could potentially see more of DeValve on Sunday.

• Like 1

I’m honestly thinking about starting him this weekend over Ebron... cinch game should be a blowout and he should get some opportunities maybe around 5-6 targets 

4 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

Jags might not have a choice. He could possibly be the only TE rostered come Sunday 

Yeah, I doubt he'd be the only TE. They have DeValve and blocker Koyack already on the roster and another kid on the PS.

Found this on their team site:

Oliver, a third-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft from San Jose State, missed the entire preseason and the first six regular-season games with a hamstring injury. He practiced full on Thursday, his first full practice since the injury.

“He’s going to play and we’ll see how it goes,” Marrone said of Oliver as the Jaguars (2-4) prepared to play the Cincinnati Bengals (0-6) at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio, Sunday at 1 p.m.

“I feel good,” Oliver said. “I’m ready to go out and compete. It’s up to the coaches how much I play. Whatever the situation I’m always going to come out and compete. It’s been tremendously hard. It’s the first major injury I’ve really had in my career.

So what everyone is saying is this guy is startable and could see decent volume given the lack of TE’s alive on the roster ?

I can understand a speculative add in deep leagues, but I just watched a video of his college "highlights", and there literally wasn't one. Not a single jump ball or box out type throw that he hauled in, literally not one broken tackle, and looked MUCH slower than his combine speed. 

20 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I can understand a speculative add in deep leagues, but I just watched a video of his college "highlights", and there literally wasn't one. Not a single jump ball or box out type throw that he hauled in, literally not one broken tackle, and looked MUCH slower than his combine speed. 

Just need that big and long frame, and huge hands in the redzone buddy.

55 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Just need that big and long frame, and huge hands in the redzone buddy.

You're describing Chark to a tee right there.  I'd like to see what this kid does but there hasn't been a productive TE in Jax this season yet, not sure how much the rook makes an impact in his first start as the primary TE but i'm curious nonetheless.

19 minutes ago, TheINC said:

You're describing Chark to a tee right there.  

Except Chark’s speed and athleticism jumped off the screen. 

6 hours ago, volcomstone said:

Seth DeValve is the other TE on the roster I believe. He did play a season high 24 snaps last Sunday when Swaim exited with the concussion. So we could potentially see more of DeValve on Sunday.

They also resigned Koyack, however, he's primarily a blocking TE.

3 for 37 1st game... def dynasty stash but dont get crazy sitting regulars for a dude's 1st start...