oban14

Most valuable handcuffs

First, I'm excluding guys with genuine stand alone value or represent a genuine two headed monster.  No Ekeler, Coleman, James White, Royce Freeman, Miles Sanders, Singletary, etc.

Second, I'm looking for the best guys who will take over the back field with minimal drop off from the starter in the event of injury.  I don't care who Saquon or Fournette's backups are because I don't expect anything out of them close to what the starter was doing.

Third, I'm basing this on how injury prone I perceive the starter to be.  So this list is guys who would probably be a real RB1/high RB2 but only in the event of injury/absence of the starter.  It isn't a long list, but please add/rearrange based on this criteria:

1) Rashaad Penny (fringe stand alone value, but basically worthless unless Carson gets hurt.  I expect Carson to get hurt based on his running style/usage and history).

2) Alexander Matteson (pretty much same notes above, and a very close second).

3) Tony Pollard (If Zeke were more injury prone might be #1).

4) Kareem Hunt (once back on the team).

5) Gus Edwards (though this could turn into an RBBC if Ingram is hurt)

6) Jaylen Samuels (some RBBC concerns if Conner goes down)

Guys who didn't make the cut:

Wayne Gallman, he's close but no real replacement.

Malcolm Brown, stand alone value.

The reason for this thread is I'm sure a lot of us play in leagues with every viable starter gone, but some handcuffs still available.  Who would you most want to own if all of these backups were available in your league and the starter went down?

• Like 1

Mattison is the clear number one for me. Edmonds would be 2. Then probably Pollard next. Jamaal Williams would be right there as well assuming he's not owned. These are all RB1s should the starter go down. 

Brown is tempting but I think we see an even split with Henderson. 

Penny's worth rostering but apparently he's actually the more injury prone of the two. 

I'd include Darrel Williams as well. He wouldn't be a RB1 but he'd be a real solid RB2 with upside should Damien or McCoy go down. 

Good call above with Armstead. Average talent but if he gets the volume Fournette has he's a high-end RB2.

And word is Bonnafon gets used in practice just like CMC, so he might be worth a stash as well. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

The furry ones.

Oh sorry, Mattison, Pollard, and Edmonds. I'd say even Bonnafon.

Just now, BGDDYKWL said:

Mattison is the clear number one for me.

Agree.  Literally every check box for him - showing great in his limited PT, great OL, run oriented offense, injury prone starter, fantastic remaining schedule.

• Like 1

You literally missed the best and most important one which is Latavius Murray, who has no stand alone value now really, but if Kamara goes down he's an RB1 the way the Saints run the ball

• Thanks 1

I'd also argue Malcolm Brown doesn't have much stand alone value with Gurley in the lineup (he hasn't had a game over 60 yards and had less than 15 yards in his last 3 games where Gurley played) and is a true handcuff, but that's up for debate.

I think everyone else pretty much got all the other handcuffs that are out there. Ty Johnson and Dion Lewis are the only other ones I can think of. Jay Ajayi would be the sleeper if a team without a true handcuff losers their starting RB.

EDIT: I guess I'll add Ballage to the list, though I don't think any RB on that team will do much even with more volume.

Edited by Idoolittle

2 minutes ago, ciphasound said:

You literally missed the best and most important one which is Latavius Murray, who has no stand alone value now really, but if Kamara goes down he's an RB1 the way the Saints run the ball

I don't think people view Latavius as a handcuff, just the lesser part of a committee.  Sort of like Dion Lewis in Tenn.

17 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Chase Edmunds, Ty Montgomery, Gio Benard missing.

Where would you rank them?

Also, what about Armstead?

I would say Damien Williams.  If McCoy and Darrel Williams and Darwin Thompson all go down, Damien would be a pretty hot commodity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I don't know how valuable Penny is.  He hasn't looked great and now has a hamstring issue on top.

If Carson were to go down, I'm not sure Penny isn't splitting carries to some degree.

• Like 1

Re: this strategy in general I'd say the most valuable handcuff is the backup to the guy you own, particularly when the guy you own has had injuries in the past and the other guy is a clear cut backup with talent.

The handcuff acts as a hedge then instead of taking two separate bets.  Someone will have value.

Cook, DJ, Chubb, even Gurley (although unlikely) could all stay healthy the whole year and render all of these guys to single digit status, or any if them could get hurt Sunday.  So I would make that the priority personally.

I don’t want this to happen but if cmc went down Reggie bonnafon would be a great add. I don’t usually like handcuffing tho. I rather use my extra pic on someone else that actually sees the field 

2 hours ago, HOF12 said:

I don’t want this to happen but if cmc went down Reggie bonnafon would be a great add. I don’t usually like handcuffing tho. I rather use my extra pic on someone else that actually sees the field 

Having mattison when I own cook helps me not have a heart attack every time cook gets up slowly.  That's worth it to me.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 2:15 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

Re: this strategy in general I'd say the most valuable handcuff is the backup to the guy you own, particularly when the guy you own has had injuries in the past and the other guy is a clear cut backup with talent.

The handcuff acts as a hedge then instead of taking two separate bets.  Someone will have value.

Cook, DJ, Chubb, even Gurley (although unlikely) could all stay healthy the whole year and render all of these guys to single digit status, or any if them could get hurt Sunday.  So I would make that the priority personally.

While I agree with this sentiment and the safety it provides, I would argue that the most valuable handcuff is one for a stud who you don’t own. This way your upside is higher because if the handcuff takes the job you’re not just playing him as a replacement player but he’s a whole new piece for your team to rely on. Currently have mattison and Edmonds on my main squad and holding onto them tight.  

3 minutes ago, aapox said:

While I agree with this sentiment and the safety it provides, I would argue that the most valuable handcuff is one for a stud who you don’t own. This way your upside is higher because if the handcuff takes the job you’re not just playing him as a replacement player but he’s a whole new piece for your team to rely on. Currently have mattison and Edmonds on my main squad and holding onto them tight.  

I think both strategies have merit, but holding your own cuff (where it makes sense) at least gives you the security to not be scrambling to fill holes in your starting lineup if something happens to your RB1 and you don't own your cuff.  I know for this week I'm really glad i've been holding Murray since drafting him now that Kamara is out.

• Like 1

Mattison bc of Cook injury history

Bonaffon with CMC usage so high

Ryquell- high usage/ injury history of Fournette

Snell/Samuels- Conner already injured this year and last year at the end of the season 

William- Bc of his usage already 

Edmonds- Dj injury history 

Murray- first time Kamara has been used as Bellcow and he gets injured. Knee and ankle 

4 minutes ago, TheINC said:

I think both strategies have merit, but holding your own cuff (where it makes sense) at least gives you the security to not be scrambling to fill holes in your starting lineup if something happens to your RB1 and you don't own your cuff.  I know for this week I'm really glad i've been holding Murray since drafting him now that Kamara is out.

I hear you. I co-own a team with Kamara and we drafted Murray. Decided to hold him after a couple tough add/drop calls and it’s certainly nice to plug and play.

• Like 1

Well just from pure talent wise I’d say Kareem hunt , if Chubb ever goes down Hunt will eat a lot. I own both just in case something happens to my boi Chubb 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brye said:

Kareem Hunt. I own both just in case.

This is refreshing to see. Everywhere I look people seem to be convinced this  Chubb kid is made from stone or something... I'm not convinced..

Hell of a runner. Not sure how he will be feeling by week 10 with damn near every snap played, blocking, near 180 rushes, passing work... I think Hunt is coming back at the right time for the browns to gear up for next year. 

18 minutes ago, BarbaricEric said:

This is refreshing to see. Everywhere I look people seem to be convinced this  Chubb kid is made from stone or something... I'm not convinced..

Hell of a runner. Not sure how he will be feeling by week 10 with damn near every snap played, blocking, near 180 rushes, passing work... I think Hunt is coming back at the right time for the browns to gear up for next year. 

Yeah I mean they could give Chubb a week off later on in the season at any given time or like you said anything could happen and he could get hurt , if you own Chubb and your not cuffing him then that’s just Dam right ludicrous.  I should make the playoffs and my team is stacked so I’m covering all loose ends now b4 it happens and Hunt is on someone else’s team

Edited by Brye