doomz

Mario Hezonja 2019-2020 Outlook

Super Mario has been impressive so far. Great production across the board. Has he finally figured it out?

2 minutes ago, doomz said:

Super Mario has been impressive so far. Great production across the board. Has he finally figured it out?

Bigger opportunity in Portland with lack of depth at the 4 and a coach who is entrusting him with the ball and playmaking duties.

An injury to Whiteside (who's got an ankle issue at the moment) will push Zach Collins to the 5 and open up more minutes.

Also, there have been multiple stories about how Portland wanted to get him in the past

• Like 1

Hezonja says he and the Blazers envision him being a point-forward this season. Says that's the role he's been in during the pickup games this month at the PF. @RipCityRadio620

As Hezonja evolves into his new role as a point-forward, he’s focused on distributing rather than scoring.

“I told (Bazemore) and Rodney, ‘When I’m playing with you guys, you’re going to eat a lot,’” Hezonja said. “I’ll be targeting those shooters, because we need them. I can finish the game with zero points, I don’t give a damn. Whatever it takes to impact winning and to bring the championship to this team. I’m doing all the little things and all the dirty stuff for us to be successful.”

1 hour ago, brickcitymamba said:

What's his playstyle like, as in what stats is he likely to contribute when in a good role/situation?

He contributes across the board with Pts/3s/rbs/stls and if he's playing more of a point forward role there could be some more assists in there

• Thanks 1

Is this dude even starting? 

4 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Don't think he'll start unless Collins or Whiteside are injured or they choose to go small with Collins at the 5.

They could also start Hood/Skal/Tolliver at the 4.

Could still be productive even if coming of the bench though

On 10/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, Code of Hammurabi said:

No, he's a point forward on the second unit. He doesn't need to start to have value. Also don't discredits he's likely to be going in your last round.

Worth the pick if he starts since zach collins is out. 

Picked this man up ASAP. Good opportunity here for super Mario. Hope he can get it together.

• Like 1

Tolliver has been starting so far, I think Hezonja needs also Whiteside or Hood to miss time in order to offer some value.

• Like 2

Mario has the advantage of versatility on his side. He can play three or four different positions on the court depending on what they need. He's going to have value in deep leagues for sure and (big) if he can get some consistency going he could have a shot to bump a guy like Hood out of the starting five. Hood has been scoring well as of late but that's all he really does and he's not been the most consistent player in his career. He's not safe.

• Like 1

Mario has opportunity and motivation (he signed lower than his market value to better his shot at a career reboot) on his side. If he doesn't do it this season he's unlikely to ever do it and so in the very least we'll get some closure here. I'm rooting for him though.

• Like 1

Is he worth the pickup? Who else would the Blazers start at the 4 with Collins out of the picture for a while, Tolliver?

This dudes skillet is so damn fantasy friendly.

Every yr, every diff team, I’m always waiting for that “chance/opportunity”...but never quite materialize....and here we are again at this same junction: Hood/Collins out

Streaming for the wk...secretly hoping for more lol

If I had a burner roster spot I'd add him because he might be able to be flipped for a profit after this week.

5 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

If I had a burner roster spot I'd add him because he might be able to be flipped for a profit after this week.

Damn it’s easy like that in your league? If you don’t mind me asking how deep is your league?

In my leagues, It’s always so tough trying to flip hot waiver wire guys, there’s a weird stigma it seems, it doesn’t even matter if they balling out, ppl always hit ya with the “u just picked him up WW last wk...why u offering him to me?!” 

Edited by IDatDude
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 4:42 PM, Spyplane said:

Mario has the advantage of versatility on his side. He can play three or four different positions on the court depending on what they need. He's going to have value in deep leagues for sure and (big) if he can get some consistency going he could have a shot to bump a guy like Hood out of the starting five. Hood has been scoring well as of late but that's all he really does and he's not been the most consistent player in his career. He's not safe.

Hood is very very safe. Not only is he a better player, but they really like the fit with Dame and CJ + he can actually shoot the ball. And he was probably promised the starting job to sign this contract, this is what was being said in Blazers' forums.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Damn it’s easy like that in your league? If you don’t mind me asking how deep is your league?

In my leagues, It’s always so tough trying to flip hot waiver wire guys, there’s a weird stigma it seems, it doesn’t even matter if they balling out, ppl always hit ya with the “u just picked him up WW last wk...why u offering him to me?!” 

A deep 16 team dynasty. I'm just assuming there might be a chance to flip. I'm not saying its a sure deal. It depends on the league, the other players and the person pitching the trade. I received an offer for him plus a pick in exchange a top 80 vet. I turned it down and I'm gonna hang on to him to see what he does this week. I've had him since pre-season and I believe I will find a good window to flip him for something of value to my particular team at some point this season.

• Like 1

I scooped him he’s a spec add for me last game With 36 mins I think that was fortunate because whiteside was out. I thought he would be the direct winner for the collins injury but it looks like stotts wants to run a committee at the 4 spot with Tolliver next to whiteside. As of right now for this week both whiteside and hood are probable with collins shoulder surgery probably going to keep him out for an extended time. I’m very curious what Mario’s mins will be i think he needs 30 to be relevant 

3 hours ago, IDatDude said:

Same here dude but sometimes you can get away with a package deal 2 for 1 otherwise you gotta ride that WW pick up for a few weeks and hope they are given the opportunity to perform before you flip em 

39 minutes ago, Bluo said:

Same here dude but sometimes you can get away with a package deal 2 for 1 otherwise you gotta ride that WW pick up for a few weeks and hope they are given the opportunity to perform before you flip em 

Agreed my league is the same that whole “waiver wire guy” is a huge loss of value even if he’s killing it