Sign in to follow this  
jdub576

Rajon Rondo 2019-2020 Outlook

No thread about this floor general yet.. What are we thinking from the vet this year as the backup playmaker with more capable scorers? Picked him up late round but now looking to possibly drop for someone like J. Culver or Fultz as a more season long prospect. What are expectations for the laker point guard?

What are the chances he plays 60+ games this season? As usual, that's the issue with a guy like Rondo who will always find a way to hoard AST and pickup some STL while he's on the court.

The Lakers aren't my team, so if you have a difference of opinion with this post I would love to hear your thoughts. 

To me, the Lakers need Rondo at point with the first unit. This feels a lot like Rondo's stint with the Kings, only he is 4-5 years older (which is a lot). I doubted Rondo heavily on that Kings roster saying some ignorant stuff like "spacing" and blah, blah, blah. Rondo crushed that year. I forget the RW member that was 100% backing Rondo that year and they tried to educate me/us....I forgot your name but I haven't forgotten your message. The starters were WCS, Boogie, Gay, and Ben McLemore. Bellinelli played a lot for McLemore as well. In terms of spacing, AD/Boogie are a wash. Gay/Lebron are a wash. Danny Green/McLemore/Belli is a wash. WCS/McGee is a wash. The spacing issue just seems like something that can be overcome....if the Lakers accept the fact that their roster isn't constructed with elite spacers. 

I see nothing holding Rondo back in terms of roster construction. After watching Lakers/Clips I thought they lacked consistent movement. Movement, even without "spacers", is going to be rewarded by Rondo because he did it in Sacramento not long ago. He just distributes and runs offenses at an elite level when healthy and engaged. I think Rondo is going to be a big part of unlocking the offensive upside for the Lakers and I think he fits best with the starters. Please share your thoughts, especially if they are different than mine. I don't know how many dimes rondo will get with 30 mpg because I think he gets a lot of hockey assists, but it will be enough to warrant taking a flyer on right now. 

• Like 1

It did seem to be a common thought on reddit and other places that the Lakers missed Rondo's ballhandling/distribution last night. I can't speak for myself since I didn't watch a single minute of the game, but it's out there.

Is he going to have value when he comes back? Even on this super team? 

• Like 1

is he a hold in 12 team leagues 9 cat? I'm hurting in the assists/steals right now.... what do yall think his projections will be?

1 hour ago, shiftysaj said:

I made a speculative add on rondo and dropped eric gordon, how do you guys think he'll do on the lakers?

22mpg 8.1ppg 3.2rpg, 7.8apg and 1.3 3ptm

he’s the only true playmaker in the roster besides lbj. His numbers will be similar to last season but with less mins since roster is deeper. now they have shooters & rondo to ad chemistry will be there. 

• Like 1

I follow the Lakers intently. Rondo is one of those guys who is not very good IRL, but can put up stats in a hurry. Unfortunately, the big two of LeBron and AD love Rondo, and that means Rondo will get playing time. They are completely bought into the idea they need more playmaking on the court, especially when LeBron is out and the offense gets very stagnant.

Don't forget that Rondo played with AD in NoLa. He was 5th in the league in assists and put up 8/8/4 with 1.1 steals and almost a 3pm. With more 3p shooters and overall more offensive options, he could post about the same with less overall minutes in LA.

6 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I follow the Lakers intently. Rondo is one of those guys who is not very good IRL, but can put up stats in a hurry. Unfortunately, the big two of LeBron and AD love Rondo, and that means Rondo will get playing time. They are completely bought into the idea they need more playmaking on the court, especially when LeBron is out and the offense gets very stagnant.

Don't forget that Rondo played with AD in NoLa. He was 5th in the league in assists and put up 8/8/4 with 1.1 steals and almost a 3pm. With more 3p shooters and overall more offensive options, he could post about the same with less overall minutes in LA.

Vogel has said it will be matchup based whether he starts or not. Lakers have so many guards, min and role will be inconsistent game to game, but well see tomorrow. It did seem like he improved his outside shooting more during the preseason.