Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

10/19 - GAME DAY THREAD

2 minutes ago, abachar said:

Boone did so many things wrong, it would be tough to list here (ex: not walking Altuve with JAKE MARISNICK ON DECK).  Great regular season manager though.

i do agree here.  

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

boone isnt the one who couldnt hit.  he did nothing wrong.  he won 105 games with a TON of injuries

EE is gone.  voit and andujar back.  Stanton is untradable and Sanchez isnt going anywhere unless we got back a Degrom or something.  and DiDi was coming back from tommy john.  id like to give him a 1 year 18 mil QO or something.

only question is will they fork up 35-40 mil a year for gerrit cole

No but the flaws of the players on offense were exposed.  Encarnacion, Sanchez are guess hitters that cannot hit good pitching generally.  Stanton can't stay on the field and is another guess hitter.  Add in Didi who has never seemed to get right after the injury and Judge who seems to have settled into a swing and miss on a curve low and away guy and everyone knows it though not everyone can execute against him in that respect.  Really the only guys you want up there that can grind out ABs and have solid approaches are DJL, Torres and Hicks (and Hicks has issues staying on the field).  

As to next year...EE is gone almost certainly imo (or the option will be picked up and he will be traded as part of it).  Didi might get a QO, but frankly, I do not know if I would even want to pay him 18M next season as he does not seem to be in the long term plans at this point (you want to give him a 3 year, 60M+ type of deal given what you have seen over the years, even if he has a decent year next year?).  Not only did his offense degrade, but so did his defense to a degree.  Voit and Andujar likely compete for 1b\dh with Tauchman and Frazier in the mix for DH\4th OF.  Can't see paying Gardner 10M+ to come back next year even if he had a decent year as it seems like a lot for a part time OF whose production likely was greatly helped by a juiced ball, though maybe he resigns on the cheap given that you really can't count on anyone in the OF to stay healthy all year, including Judge and Hicks.

As to trading Sanchez or Stanton...the former is unlikely to be moved given that there is not much to replace a C with these days. And Stanton is unmovable with his contract (maybe after 2020 if he has a decent year).

I think if Cole wants to leave Houston and is willing to come to NY (supposedly he wants to go the west coast), the Yanks will throw a boat load of money at him.  The bottom line is Houston has Cole and Verlander and we don't and shifting that kind of arm from them to us would be a major shift in the balance of power imo.  Of course Cashman's record on pitching signings is nothing short of horrendous and if Cole is signed, he might turn into another JA Happ lol.  The whole win with your bullpen strategy is fundamentally flawed imo with too many points of failure to succeed through the WS against teams that actually have good starters and hitters.  Eventually, one of them stinks it up and costs you a game or two.

Edited by secretagentman

40 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

No but the flaws of the players on offense were exposed.  Encarnacion, Sanchez are guess hitters that cannot hit good pitching generally.  Stanton can't stay on the field and is another guess hitter.  Add in Didi who has never seemed to get right after the injury and Judge who seems to have settled into a swing and miss on a curve low and away guy and everyone knows it though not everyone can execute against him in that respect.  Really the only guys you want up there that can grind out ABs and have solid approaches are DJL, Torres and Hicks (and Hicks has issues staying on the field).  

As to next year...EE is gone almost certainly imo (or the option will be picked up and he will be traded as part of it).  Didi might get a QO, but frankly, I do not know if I would even want to pay him 18M next season as he does not seem to be in the long term plans at this point (you want to give him a 3 year, 60M+ type of deal given what you have seen over the years, even if he has a decent year next year?).  Not only did his offense degrade, but so did his defense to a degree.  Voit and Andujar likely compete for 1b\dh with Tauchman and Frazier in the mix for DH\4th OF.  Can't see paying Gardner 10M+ to come back next year even if he had a decent year as it seems like a lot for a part time OF whose production likely was greatly helped by a juiced ball, though maybe he resigns on the cheap given that you really can't count on anyone in the OF to stay healthy all year, including Judge and Hicks.

As to trading Sanchez or Stanton...the former is unlikely to be moved given that there is not much to replace a C with these days. And Stanton is unmovable with his contract (maybe after 2020 if he has a decent year).

I think if Cole wants to leave Houston and is willing to come to NY (supposedly he wants to go the west coast), the Yanks will throw a boat load of money at him.  The bottom line is Houston has Cole and Verlander and we don't and shifting that kind of arm from them to us would be a major shift in the balance of power imo.  Of course Cashman's record on pitching signings is nothing short of horrendous and if Cole is signed, he might turn into another JA Happ lol.  The whole win with your bullpen strategy is fundamentally flawed imo with too many points of failure to succeed through the WS against teams that actually have good starters and hitters.  Eventually, one of them stinks it up and costs you a game or two.

our starters didnt lose this series. our offense did. and maybe a little bullpen blame. houston hitters were kept in check, except altuve.  its just when they got a hit it was a big 3 run homerun.   i think cole goes to the angels or padres.  just hope severino, paxton, tanaka are healthy all year.  i still think happ can be a fine number 4.  he was good down the stretch and in the playoffs.