PlayTheWaivers

Tanking Strategies - Playing Chess instead of Checkers

What are your thoughts on taking an intentional L when you have a decent record, numerous bye players, and going against a team that has great matchups and full-strength across the board?

Would you find it acceptable to pick up players that were dropped on bye, trade for players on bye, and take the L knowing that you will be set up for success year-to-go?

Football's a week to week sport, but there is comfort in knowing all of your byes are done and that you have flexibility.

• Like 3

If you're taking the loss to make your team better and not compromising any other team in your league, go for it. 

Example: I wouldnt take a loss if it meant that a team in my division got bumped out of the playoffs.

Ie. I would take a trade like CMC for DJ and Kirk if the owner of that game needed a win, and I could afford a loss. Making that trade would pretty much gurantee a loss for me this week....they would also have to be willing to give you CMC though... so...

Edited by BarbaricEric

I've traded starters down to get a hot player on their bye week in the past. It has caused me to lose matchups... but win championships. 

Got Caff last year for Gurley straight up. We know how that ended. 

6 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

What are your thoughts on taking an intentional L when you have a decent record, numerous bye players, and going against a team that has great matchups and full-strength across the board?

Would you find it acceptable to pick up players that were dropped on bye, trade for players on bye, and take the L knowing that you will be set up for success year-to-go?

Football's a week to week sport, but there is comfort in knowing all of your byes are done and that you have flexibility.

There's definitely situations out there where that could be a great move. Don't hesitate to be the first to pull off unconventional moves, it will either inspire others to copy you because they see the benefits of the new strategy, or they won't understand, but the only thing the others can do is to vote for an official rule against it next season.

Edited by AJx88x

No, I strive to humiliate my league mates like that jerk team from the mighty ducks movie. That means winning every week and winning big

• Thanks 1

Similar, but not the same...I traded A Jones, Eckeler, and Scarry Terry two weeks ago for Barkley. Figured that would give me - couple L’s while setting me up for the playoffs. I was 4-0 when I made the trade, 5-1 now.

7 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

If you still can field a valid lineup, meaning you have players in your starting lineup that are actually playing that week, then I don't see any issue with this.

But if you cannot field a valid lineup, and are keeping all the bye week players in your starting lineup, I believe that is out of bounds. 

7 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I have no problem with it-  it’s your team.   If a bye week opens up a buy low window on a stud...and your record is good enough to take the L...absolutely do it.    

On the flipside If you’re 1-5 and clinging to playoff hopes...you might need to deal an injured or bye week stud for 2 good players with great matchups.    There is no tomorrow for a 1-6 team.   

All that said-  don’t drop good players for worse ones simply because of when their bye weeks fall.  That’s just bad roster management and won’t help you field the strongest team down the stretch.  

• Like 4

Always play to win. 

Accepting an L you didn't necessarily need to can be the difference between playoffs and not. We're not even half way yet. It doesn't matter if you're 6-0, there's still far too long to go before you can be truly confident of anything. 

I have traded for players on a bye when I can afford a loss for sure. You get good value 

however, intentionally losing to gain a better spot or to play an easier opponent shouldn’t be done. i have thought about it several times in the past but have never done it the last week. I then proceeded to win the league 2 years in a row, which tells me not to do it in the future. Just a good faith move with league mates imo. 

1 hour ago, ArtistPain said:

So far I’ve taken 6 intentional losses to set myself up for the second half. The train is rolling!  Choo choo. Winter is coming. Beware

4D level chess

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe I interpreted the OP's post differently than everyone else.

Was the main question whether you would take a loss if you have a lot of guys on bye one week?  So week 10 when 6 teams are on bye, if you have 6 of your players on bye, instead of trying to blow up your entire lineup, just take the loss so you'll be stronger for the rest of the season?  I don't see anything wrong with that strategy.

• Like 4

He might even be picking up good bye-week guys who were dropped, and thus not having enough active players to fill a lineup in a game he is likely to lose anyway.  That strikes me as an extremely sensible and valid strategic move in redraft.  Dynasty maybe is more complicated.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CooL said:

Maybe I interpreted the OP's post differently than everyone else.

Was the main question whether you would take a loss if you have a lot of guys on bye one week?  So week 10 when 6 teams are on bye, if you have 6 of your players on bye, instead of trying to blow up your entire lineup, just take the loss so you'll be stronger for the rest of the season?  I don't see anything wrong with that strategy.

What I did was analyze the matchup I had and also looked at what replacement value would be over my 4 bye week players- nearly not enough...

Players like Olsen-value were dropped, and this strategy even enabled me to land someone in a bad matchup for 80 cents on the dollar (Kerryon.)

So, yes, I have numerous players on bye, I picked up / snagged players on bye or in bad matchups, and the biggest reason for it is that you just know when you look at your opponents roster and matchups...

Well you had me going until you mentioned Greg Olsen.  Lol.

Anyway the big picture is clear to me.  I think it is perfectly fine.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Well you had me going until you mentioned Greg Olsen.  Lol.

Anyway the big picture is clear to me.  I think it is perfectly fine.

In the TE landscape and in my league, you could do a lot worse considering I have no one lol

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Similar, but not the same...I traded A Jones, Eckeler, and Scarry Terry two weeks ago for Barkley. 

That's not really a "tanking strategy."  That's just you taking advantage of a mentally challenged person, and then bragging about it.  Have you no shame?  

• Haha 3

I’ve done it before. If you’ve got three or more key players on a bye, sometimes it’s better to just take an L for one week, then your team will be stronger than everyone else’s during the other bye weeks. Aside from QBs (I’m in a 2 QB league), I don’t really pay attention to byes during the draft, I just get the players I want.

If you can have enough depth to make it through all the byes, great, but I don’t drop good players or do anything crazy in order to do so. This year, week 12 is looking dicey for me with several key players on a bye, so I might just punt that week and live to fight another day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

You play to win at the end of the season. I see nothing wrong with taking a loss to strengthen your team come playoff time. 

Or to avoid dropping someone you won't get back who may be a key to long-term success.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyShackleford said:

You play to win at the end of the season. I see nothing wrong with taking a loss to strengthen your team come playoff time. 

So far it’s been the right decision. All the waiver players I considered are a disaster lol

take it from me kids- do this if you are down a bunch of players 

• Like 1