Sign in to follow this  
KingJoffrey

Has anyone ever tried Fantasy Baseball in the playoffs?

Hear me out.  In hockey there is such a thing, I don’t really do fantasy hockey but I get the idea.  You draft players in the playoff rounds only.  Can’t be a huge league.  You have 10 teams to choose from😞 Sure some teams will get eliminated and therefore some players then unavailable.  You account for that.  Do you draft Yelich even though the Brewers aren’t so good?

The problem is that everything would be done by hand and spreadsheet like 30 years ago.  I doubt Yahoo would implement this or there’s any software for it.

just a crazy idea.🤔 but I’m wondering if some fantasy could be done in October by die hard fans like us😄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Hear me out.  In hockey there is such a thing, I don’t really do fantasy hockey but I get the idea.  You draft players in the playoff rounds only.  Can’t be a huge league.  You have 10 teams to choose from😞 Sure some teams will get eliminated and therefore some players then unavailable.  You account for that.  Do you draft Yelich even though the Brewers aren’t so good?

The problem is that everything would be done by hand and spreadsheet like 30 years ago.  I doubt Yahoo would implement this or there’s any software for it.

just a crazy idea.🤔 but I’m wondering if some fantasy could be done in October by die hard fans like us😄

Yes you end up having to have to track your own and your opponents stats.  It's not impossible but a lot of work since platforms don't offer this.  Any discrepancy and the commissioner would have to double check the matchup. 

When I did it was with 6 teams and we redrafted for each series we did not include the wild card games.  It was fun but a lot of work but google sheets will make it so much easier.  Also we decided against benches and only drafted starters.  Lineup was locked in for that series with no free agent adds.  So Divisional, League, and World Series.  We used a points based system from a keeper league we all were from as most thought roto would be unfair with saves a category the other suggestion was combine holds and saves but ultimately we went with a scoring system as the guy who started the league already had an insane spreadsheet made up to calculate a players score.  But come the World Series even in 6 man teams (and redrafting) you end up getting very minimal production out of the bottom half of their lineup as they are all backups.

It almost may be better if you did less positions than what we did (9 hitters catcher thru DH).  But if you went with just C, MI, CI, OF, DH or something along those lines it makes it so that there are less blank spots as the playoffs get thinner.

• Like 1

Hockey is perfect for playoffs because there are only 2 things to record, goals and assists. There’s also 16 teams.  No way anyoneone is gonna make a spreadsheet for things like .whip.

If you get a small number of people, like 4 or 5, to make sure veryone gets a cut of each team and make sure teams are huge, like 15 players, I suppose you could make things somewhat interesting by counting ONLY homeruns and steals (no pitching.) not even close to regular season, but it could work.

Edited by Cesare13

2 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Hockey is perfect for playoffs because there are only 2 things to record, goals and assists. There’s also 16 teams.  No way anyoneone is gonna make a spreadsheet for things like .whip.

If you get a small number of people, like 4 or 5, to make sure veryone gets a cut of each team and make sure teams are huge, like 15 players, I suppose you could make things somewhat interesting by counting ONLY homeruns and steals (no pitching.) not even close to regular season, but it could work.

The are a ton of different stats in hockey, including blocked shots, Faceoffs wins, plus minus, shots on net, hits ect

5 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

The are a ton of different stats in hockey, including blocked shots, Faceoffs wins, plus minus, shots on net, hits ect

Not for playoff pools....that would throw things totally off because of the large number of guys that would be eliminated. Same would happen in baseball.  Maybe goalie wins or shutouts are counted.

10 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Not for playoff pools....that would throw things totally off because of the large number of guys that would be eliminated. Same would happen in baseball.  Maybe goalie wins or shutouts are counted.

Good point: makes more sense

On 10/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, KingJoffrey said:

Its 100% being done - one of the pods I listened to one of the hosts in passing mentioned his post-season league.  Ive seen it for football quite a bit.  Football it fits, do by round is easy, every team has 1 game.  In baseball even doing by round, some teams might play more games, more at bats, etc.  So there is some randomness to that component and its not even like football where you are obviously seeing who will win and move on, but its like who will win in 5 or 7 games versus sweeping someone?    

Edited by parrothead

We've done a side playoff pool the past couple years in a couple of different formats. First format is a traditional snake draft, and the second, each owner individually selects a maximum of two players from each MLB playoff team(and ownership of players overlaps across teams). Drafts are done prior to the WC games, and rosters do not reset after each round. The second format works a little better since a snake draft can really only be done the Monday night after the season ends. 

You do have to manually track stats, but google sheets' useful "importhtml" function, along with a couple lookups, makes it fairly easy. 

On 10/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, KingJoffrey said:

I’ve done it a few times and enjoyed it. Drafted on the last wild card game night. Obviously the goal is to pick guys who you think will make it to WS and/or guys that are just really good who only need a few games to rack up stats. Standard 5x5 and Total points after WS wins regardless of when your players’ teams stopped playing.