Hyperize

Luke Kennard 2019-2020 Outlook

Probably the biggest chip on his shoulder in the NBA being picked just before Donovan Mitchell. Coaches benched him for two season's, barely gave him any chance at all. Apparently he has the green light, obviously he's already earned his starting spot over Bruce Brown Jr. in the running for the wettest jumper in the league, can go absolutely lights out, a must add with Detroit desperately needing a talented wing. Finally Kennard gets his shot at minutes. Don't sleep.

12 minutes ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Probably the biggest chip on his shoulder in the NBA being picked just before Donovan Mitchell. Coaches benched him for two season's, barely gave him any chance at all. Apparently he has the green light, obviously he's already earned his starting spot over Bruce Brown Jr. in the running for the wettest jumper in the league, can go absolutely lights out, a must add with Detroit desperately needing a talented wing. Finally Kennard gets his shot at minutes. Don't sleep.

His shot is so smooth man... for a guy whose on the wing and known for his shot if you watch he has pretty good handles too. 

He's super young - only 23 this year. I reckon his floor could be a poor man's Eric Gordon, but his shot is way better than I thought (and I already thought it was good), which means the ceiling could be higher than everyone thought going into the year.

12 minutes ago, Stallion said:

He's super young - only 23 this year. I reckon his floor could be a poor man's Eric Gordon, but his shot is way better than I thought (and I already thought it was good), which means the ceiling could be higher than everyone thought going into the year.

It wouldn't hurt to take a flyer on him for the next few weeks since BG is out till November anyways

3 minutes ago, Monkeyking69 said:

It wouldn't hurt to take a flyer on him for the next few weeks since BG is out till November anyways

Luke over Mikal or Bojan? I'm honestly just hoping he can finally have a solid role and play his game. He really should be starting, I don't understand Casey starting Bruce Brown over a shooter and scorer like Kennard.

6 minutes ago, lilremix328 said:

Luke over Mikal or Bojan? I'm honestly just hoping he can finally have a solid role and play his game. He really should be starting, I don't understand Casey starting Bruce Brown over a shooter and scorer like Kennard.

Mikael offers something completely different from Kennard (steals) so that depends on a team fit. Bojan is tough, he was a monster last year but he's gonna be the 3 option in Utah behind Mitchell and Conley.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2019/10/23/20928000/detroit-pistons-luke-kennard-player-preview

Fyi guys, note his performance during playoffs and also his efficiency as a shooter at almost 40% from 3pt range in the past two years.

I agree with u above for the most part and have added him. Based on this team roster, Casey would be hard pressed not to put him as the 3rd option as the worst case behind drum and BG. Drose can score but he needs a shooter for spacing so that he can drive. 

It's not crazy to think he can be this year's Buddy Hield. He just need the opportunity. Already proved it once again tonight!

Dropped Bertans for him (I need more points), looking good so far! Might have to stream him when Blake comes back though, but hopefully he keeps his green light.

Why isnt he starting? Quite puzzling to see snell and brown struggling so much on offense while benching kennard

6 minutes ago, Hyperize said:

Dropped Bertans for him (I need more points), looking good so far! Might have to stream him when Blake comes back though, but hopefully he keeps his green light.

I have seen this take in a few places. And I am confused. Is Blake playing the SG position? Is Blake playing in the 2nd unit? I don’t see the correlation between Blake injured to Kennard hot start. If anything, Morris is the direct player that Blake injury have any influences. 

16 minutes ago, ginocan said:

I have seen this take in a few places. And I am confused. Is Blake playing the SG position? Is Blake playing in the 2nd unit? I don’t see the correlation between Blake injured to Kennard hot start. If anything, Morris is the direct player that Blake injury have any influences. 

As per Rotoworld: Last season, Kennard was almost twice as productive as a scorer when BG was on the bench

Might be to do with usage possibly, not sure but the stats are there to see from last season.

30 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Blake has huge usage on this team. Everybody's numbers suffer when he comes back.

Which leads to my question is this breakout for real or is he back to an end to bench guy once Blake is back?

30 minutes ago, ginocan said:

It spreads the ball for other means of scoring. Since Blake is the main scorer along with Drummond, it makes room for wing players like Luke. If the guy can be consistent, they’ll run the ball to him for more scoring opportunity. It’s pretty much up in the air for any one in Detroit to carry workload with Drummond. It’s not based purely on each position. While Marcus Morris will for sure benefit, there’s hopes that coach will trust Luke with scoring load 

Thoughts on Kennard after he cooled down tonight? Not expecting much this year other then a few good shooting nights and bad FG percentage. Sure he can put up 20 plus on a random night but he doesn’t offer much else. Derrick Rose is eating away at his usage too. Reggie Jackson is injured again though so is he worth a keep or pick up? 

Why is Luke not starting?

They prefer the defense Brown and Snell bring to the table against opponents starters. Rather bring Luke off the bench with his instant offense. It also makes sense to stagger his minutes not playing with Blake. They don't seem to have much of a chemistry together.

Is Blake affecting Kennard?

For sure he affects him, have you seen the guy play? He absolutely dominates the game, sometimes to a standstill. I'm certainly not a big fan of Blake Griffins play, although I accept the fact that every team in this league needs guys who can create offense.

If Kennard is to play high 20's off the bench or starting with +30 minutes he has to play minutes with Blake, there is no way around it. 

How has he looked thus far compared to last year?

2 games, short period for valuation. I didn't look too closely to his stuff second game, but in the first one he was goin inside. Something that he really didn't do too well last season. If he can go in and create his shot (not necessarily around the basket, but midrange) more consistently there... It would open things up. I do believe he is good shooter and will be better and more reliable than he was last year. He already has shown the glimpses of being very useful player (in our fantasy setting at least) and I'm now banking on him to continue making strides this season.

• Like 1

Not much discussion on this guy for someone in the top 40-50 so far. I think he really has potential to be a great waiver pickup for efficient 3s and PTS and even a flash of some assist numbers. What is really intriguing me is how highly the players think of him which bodes well.

"Luke still doesn't know how good he is," Derrick Rose said. "I just got to keep feeding him and building his confidence."

Given Reggies injury and Roses injury history, there exists a pathway where he is the primary/secondary ballhandler for major minutes even when Blake is back.

What do you guys think? Is he a 12 team guy?

1 minute ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Is Reggie Jackson being out the only reason he started?

I don't think so as Kennard's minutes have been more or less steady even while Reggie was there. But if it did have an impact on how many touches he got, then that may still be an opportunity since apparently they are examining his low back further for injury in coming days.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Is Reggie Jackson being out the only reason he started?

Luke Kennard and Tim Frazier will be in the starting lineup for Monday's game against the Pacers.

Kennard is replacing Bruce Brown in the starting unit, and Frazier is getting the start with Reggie Jackson (back) unavailable. Joining Kennard and Fraizer in the starting five will be Tony Snell, Markieff Morris and Andre Drummond.

• Thanks 1