hornrimmed_rambis

Frank Ntilikina 2019-2020 Outlook

leads all PG's in blks. just saying. very strong hold. last game was not his fault at all. 

39 minutes ago, pdids911 said:

last game was not his fault at all. 

I don't know how you can say that.  Ntilikina against the Cavs was so timid on offense that he was total non-factor i.e. the Cavs didn't even have to guard him hard because Ntilikina took himself out of the game on O.

When you have a guard that is one or two of the following:

A) indecisive initiating offense

B.) hesitant to shoot

C) timid attacking the paint and opposition bigs

then for all intents and purposes that guard is useless.  Frank isn't just one or two of those he's all 3.  Maybe it's to do with the coaching or whatever but I think it's 99% on Ntilikina and there's no way you can survive with a deficient player like that in the NBA unless the offensive system the team is running is good.  The Knicks are not good. 

Ntilikina is currently the guard version of Roberson but worse on O which is actually mind boggling.

32 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

I don't know how you can say that.  Ntilikina against the Cavs was so timid on offense that he was total non-factor i.e. the Cavs didn't even have to guard him hard because Ntilikina took himself out of the game on O.

When you have a guard that is one or two of the following:

A) indecisive initiating offense

B.) hesitant to shoot

C) timid attacking the paint and opposition bigs

then for all intents and purposes that guard is useless.  Frank isn't just one or two of those he's all 3.  Maybe it's to do with the coaching or whatever but I think it's 99% on Ntilikina and there's no way you can survive with a deficient player like that in the NBA unless the offensive system the team is running is good.  The Knicks are not good. 

Ntilikina is currently the guard version of Roberson but worse on O which is actually mind boggling.

Dude, hyperbole? Worse than Roberson on offense? A guard who demonstrates good ball handling ability and a decent ability to make plays for others is worse than Roberson? Ok. 

If your analysis rests on the issue that his passiveness on offense is the reason they were blown out vs the Cavs, then we're going to have to revisit every single NBA team and and highlight each perimeter player that is a poor to non factor with regards to shooting. FYI, Knicks came into last night's game with the worst team fg% in the NBA and in the bottom half of scoring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tremixt said:

is the reason they were blown out vs the Cavs,

Did I say he was the sole reason for the Knicks getting blown out?  No.  The team obviously has many issues but the person I responded to said Ntilikina had no blame in the Cavs loss and that's not right.  His non-existent point guard play and lack of threat on offense absolutely is a part of the problem the Knicks have including against the Cavs.

50 minutes ago, tremixt said:

Dude, hyperbole? Worse than Roberson on offense? A guard who demonstrates good ball handling ability and a decent ability to make plays for others is worse than Roberson? Ok.

How often does Ntilikina demonstrate all that?  Once every other offensive possession?  A few times every other game?  Once a month?  He can have all the potential in the world but if it doesn't translate to actual consistent play on the court then it's close to meaningless especially if the rest of the team is struggling on O.  Roberson was an inconsistent and limited offensive player but made up for it with his defense.  You can for the most part get away with that on the wing.  Ntilikina is an extremely inconsistent and so far offensively limited player who is meant to be point guard.  You don't get away with that at that position even if your defense is great unless you have a system which negates that.  Which is what I said above and again, the Knicks don't have that. 

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam

33 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

Did I say he was the sole reason for the Knicks getting blown out?  No.  The team obviously has many issues but the person I responded to said Ntilikina had no blame in the Cavs loss and that's not right.  His non-existent point guard play and lack of threat on offense absolutely is a part of the problem the Knicks have including against the Cavs.

How often does Ntilikina demonstrate all that?  Once every other offensive possession?  A few times every other game?  Once a month?  He can have all the potential in the world but if it doesn't translate to actual consistent play on the court then it's close to meaningless especially if the rest of the team is struggling on O.  Roberson was an inconsistent and limited offensive player but made up for it with his defense.  You can for the most part get away with that on the wing.  Ntilikina is an extremely inconsistent and so far offensively limited player who is meant to be point guard.  You don't get away with that at that position even if your defense is great unless you have a system which negates that.  Which is what I said above and again, the Knicks don't have that. 

Worse than Roberson? I'm sure you have some salient points hidden somewhere in there, but I can't take it serious when you write down that he's worse than Roberson on offense. Roberson can't dribble, let alone shoot the ball. Stop. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, tremixt said:

Worse than Roberson? I'm sure you have some salient points hidden somewhere in there, but I can't take it serious when you write down that he's worse than Roberson on offense. Roberson can't dribble, let alone shoot the ball. Stop. 

I'll clarify then.  Does Ntilikina do specific things better than Roberson?  Sure.  He's a guard.  He should be able to dribble the ball better and (potentially) shoot the ball better.  Does it show on the court?  Rarely if ever.  The comparison was regarding overall offensive impact and in that case Ntilikina is like Roberson i.e. sweet FA impact to the point where it's detrimental.

why did i get sucked into picking up this bum?  most passive scared to shoot beta PG in the NBA

Passed on a couple FAs that got poached because I wanted to see another game from Frank before letting go.  Major regret.

Knicks offense right now is literally Frank bringing the ball up and as soon as he gets the ball passed mid court he gives it to either Morris or Randle and then Frank starts moving but never gets the ball back even when he is wide open w his hands up. This is literally every single play 

The only time the Knicks offense looked halfway decent was when Elfrid ran the offense so when he gets back I could easily see Fiz going back to him 

I’m still holding but only bc there isn’t anything on my wire 

Edited by kilslo
  • Like 1

What do people think will happen with Frank when Fiz is fired? Woj says it's inevitable so I'm curious what y'all think.

16 hours ago, kilslo said:

Knicks offense right now is literally Frank bringing the ball up and as soon as he gets the ball passed mid court he gives it to either Morris or Randle and then Frank starts moving but never gets the ball back even when he is wide open w his hands up. This is literally every single play 

The only time the Knicks offense looked halfway decent was when Elfrid ran the offense so when he gets back I could easily see Fiz going back to him 

I’m still holding but only bc there isn’t anything on my wire 

I noticed this too.  he gets paid millions for dribbling a ball 50 ft. up the floor.

32 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

What do people think will happen with Frank when Fiz is fired? Woj says it's inevitable so I'm curious what y'all think.

Just swooped him off FA after an impatient owner dropped him, also think the Fiz firing is coming very soon.

Am hoping that the new coach revitalizes the offense and instills some confidence in Frank to let him run the show. Hopefully the Knicks realize what they have in him. However, if he still plays as timid as ever then it’s probably Payton’s job to lose.

What people don’t realize is that Mills and Perry want to at least win - they’re not going all in into player development. That’s why Randle, Taj, Portis, MM were all signed. Ntilikina has to show he can consistently contribute to winning basketball before he locks up the starting job.

Edited by Espoiral

3 hours ago, Espoiral said:

What people don’t realize is that Mills and Perry want to at least win - they’re not going all in into player development. That’s why Randle, Taj, Portis, MM were all signed. Ntilikina has to show he can consistently contribute to winning basketball before he locks up the starting job.

Wait, so your theory is those players were signed to win and have proven they can? At 2-9 im skeptical.

Have you seen knicks basketball? They should be doing nothing but trying to developer players and plan for the future.

35 minutes ago, itslarry said:

Wait, so your theory is those players were signed to win and have proven they can? At 2-9 im skeptical.

Have you seen knicks basketball? They should be doing nothing but trying to developer players and plan for the future.

Well, they sure as hell weren't signed in order to develop their young players. 2-9 is obviously what happened but they definitely didn't plan to go 2-9 at the start.

Knicks basketball being bad is a combination of bad coaching and bad signings which makes a bad fit on the team (think constant ISOs with Randle - you're just encouraging his bad habits). If you thought that Knicks basketball was bad, the Knicks organization is even worse. They have zero direction and are not making any logical moves to do what's right - which is to develop their young players. They think they can stand a chance in the East with these set of guys with Fiz at the helm.

Which is why I'm afraid of Payton's return if Frank continues to play so timid even with a new coach. Payton is Perry's guy.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/shwinnypooh/status/1194650728339574785?s=21

Had the Knicks not signed Julius Randle they would be much improved in reality and in fantasy

He does that s--- multiple times a game. He really thinks he’s the PG

I’m blaming coaching for this but Frank is not without fault. He did the same s--- he doing now when he was playing in the French opening thing. Just brings the ball up and wait 5 feet away from the 3pt line til someone comes and gets it from him

Edited by kilslo

8 hours ago, kilslo said:

https://twitter.com/shwinnypooh/status/1194650728339574785?s=21

Had the Knicks not signed Julius Randle they would be much improved in reality and in fantasy

He does that s--- multiple times a game. He really thinks he’s the PG

I’m blaming coaching for this but Frank is not without fault. He did the same s--- he doing now when he was playing in the French opening thing. Just brings the ball up and wait 5 feet away from the 3pt line til someone comes and gets it from him

Lots at fault. Mills and Perry for putting this poor roster together (and for hiring Fizdale in the first place). Fizdale for how he's handled his rotations. Randle for pounding the ball away. Ntilikina for having no ball-handling and playmaking skills and thus no confidence, etc. Dolan for throwing a tantrum and catalyzing the recent PR drama. Mills and Perry for throwing Fizdale under the bus. Knicks are currently an overall trash organization, and I was fooled yet again this season by the allure of Ntilikina's defense stats.

Side note, but I have Payton stashed in my IR in the likely event he immediately jumps into the starting role again. But then Fiz will probably get fired, and they might decide to devote development time to Ntilikina and/or DSJ. Yeah...probably not worth it to involve yourself w/ Knicks players.

• Like 1

My boy Frankie Smokes out here ballin’ against the Mavs.(in real life, not fantasy) sorry. 

Damn, why did I drop him?!  Those 2 clutch free throws ... lol.

I don't get why hyped this dude?His game just not fantasy friendly

10 minutes ago, Cozie said:

My boy Frankie Smokes out here ballin’ against the Mavs.(in real life, not fantasy) sorry. 

It's fantasy relevant, any positive impact on the Knicks ownership & coaching that will increase his long-term chance at starting is good. 

12 minutes ago, Cozie said:

Yeah, but only on the defensive side, right? I saw the game too. The dichotomy between DSJ and Ntilikina was evident. The offense flowed SO much better w/ DSJ. Night and day. Yet, Ntilikina is clearly the better defender and made key defensive plays down the stretch.

Then we throw Payton into the mix. This may not be fun

• Like 3

I think he's useful for stocks in a 12 team league, not really much else.   If ur punting FG all the better but yea borderline rosterable at best.