Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popcorn Light

Who's the Best Future Fantasy Players

If you were in a keeper league and could add 2 players to your roster from this list who would they be? Looking at highest upside potential...

Top Hitters

Logan Morrison, 1B, Florida Marlins

Mike Carp, 1B, New York Mets

Chris Coghlan, 2B, Florida Marlins

Greg Halman, OF, Seattle Mariners

Sean Doolittle, 1B, Oakland Athletics

Nate Schierholtz, OF, San Francisco Giants

Pete Kozma, SS, St. Louis Cardinals

Jon Jay, OF, St. Louis Cardinal

Pablo Sandoval, 3B-C, San Francisco Giants

Top Pitchers

Jhoulys Chacin, RHP, Colorado Rockies

Ryan Tucker, RHP, Florida Marlins

Jake Arrieta, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

James McDonald, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

Collin Balester, RHP, Washington Nationals

Carlos Rosa, RHP, Kansas City Royals

Daryl Thompson, RHP, Cincinnati Reds

Antonio Bastardo, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies

Jose Ceda, RHP, Chicago Cubs

Jess Todd, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals

Charlie Morton, RHP, Atlanta Braves

David Hernandez, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Tyler Robertson, LHP, Minnesota Twins

Josh Outman, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies

Zach McAllister, RHP, New York Yankees

Matthew Maloney, LHP, Cincinnati Reds

Lance Broadway, RHP, Chicago White Sox

I like the pitchers more than the hitters.

Arrieta

McDonald

Todd

Chacin (I'd have him higher, but he does pitch for the Rockies).

As for the hitters, Doolittle is probably the cream of the crop in that list. Halman's intriguing fantasy-wise given his tools (speed/power) and the fact K/BB rate isnt exactly a fantasy category in roto. He could turn into a Chris Young/Mike Cameron in his prime type guy. Coghlan and Morrison could be solid regulars soon for the Marlins, especially if they move Uggla to 3rd or trade him.

Crap, i didnt really answer your question. If you put a gun to my head and said "pick two" I'd take Arrieta and Doolittle. But as a whole, the pitching list is deeper.

I dont know if ETA matters at all in terms of your preference.

I like the pitchers more than the hitters.

Arrieta

McDonald

Todd

Chacin (I'd have him higher, but he does pitch for the Rockies).

As for the hitters, Doolittle is probably the cream of the crop in that list. Halman's intriguing fantasy-wise given his tools (speed/power) and the fact K/BB rate isnt exactly a fantasy category in roto. He could turn into a Chris Young/Mike Cameron in his prime type guy. Coghlan and Morrison could be solid regulars soon for the Marlins, especially if they move Uggla to 3rd or trade him.

Crap, i didnt really answer your question. If you put a gun to my head and said "pick two" I'd take Arrieta and Doolittle. But as a whole, the pitching list is deeper.

I dont know if ETA matters at all in terms of your preference.

2010-2012 is probably the best. I'll leave my signature up this time. I acquired Hanley Ramirez and Joey Votto today at the expense of Mariano Rivera, Scott Kazmir, Alex Gordon, Stephen Drew, Chris Tillman, and Anthony Swarzyk. So I have 2 open spots on my roster I'm trying to figure who to go with.

to be honest, im not all that impressed by that list...but, if i had to take two players...

thats the best hitter, and pitcher on the list in my opinion....and both are putting up monster numbers in the minors to back up thier talent and potential...

2010-2012 is probably the best. I'll leave my signature up this time. I acquired Hanley Ramirez and Joey Votto today at the expense of Mariano Rivera, Scott Kazmir, Alex Gordon, Stephen Drew, Chris Tillman, and Anthony Swarzyk. So I have 2 open spots on my roster I'm trying to figure who to go with.

wow, that is an awsome trade!!....hanley is the best player in baseball!!

i like tyler robertson, but hes someone ur gonna have to sit on for a while...

I've always found it more fruitful to go for hitting prospects than pitching prospects. When a top pitching prospect makes it they can be a rare commodity, but their chances of reaching that potential are much slimmer. I don't mind nabbing a top pitcher if I already have a good foundation of hitters, but all things being equal, a position player will nearly always be the better investment.

I'm very high on Halman. I love his tools and love the energy he brings to every bat and every play in the field. He's very young, especially for AA, but he's a fine prospect and one who will make one of the biggest jumps in terms of rankings from 2008 to 2009.

Now I'm mostly an AL guy so I can't speak at as much depth about NL guys, but I have seen Sandoval play on numerous occasions and I absolutely love the kid. He's patient, has a quick bat, and makes big plays in high-pressure situations. Being a catcher adds to his value, although with the drafting of Posey, he's likely to either face some hefty competition, switch positions, or be traded. Still, this kid can hit.

If you do want to take a pitcher, Arrieta is the easy choice out of that group. He's shown this year just how good he is, and he will be another player who makes a huge jump in the rankings from 2008 to 2009.

I personally don't think the best are even on that list. Where are kids like Jennings and Cardenas, just to name two?

If you were in a keeper league and could add 2 players to your roster from this list who would they be? Looking at highest upside potential...

Top Hitters

Logan Morrison, 1B, Florida Marlins

Mike Carp, 1B, New York Mets

Chris Coghlan, 2B, Florida Marlins

Sean Doolittle, 1B, Oakland Athletics

Nate Schierholtz, OF, San Francisco Giants

Pete Kozma, SS, St. Louis Cardinals

Jon Jay, OF, St. Louis Cardinal

Pablo Sandoval, 3B-C, San Francisco Giants

Top Pitchers

Ryan Tucker, RHP, Florida Marlins

Jake Arrieta, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

James McDonald, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

Collin Balester, RHP, Washington Nationals

Carlos Rosa, RHP, Kansas City Royals

Daryl Thompson, RHP, Cincinnati Reds

Antonio Bastardo, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies

Jose Ceda, RHP, Chicago Cubs

Jess Todd, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals

Charlie Morton, RHP, Atlanta Braves

David Hernandez, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Tyler Robertson, LHP, Minnesota Twins

Josh Outman, LHP, Philadelphia Phillies

Zach McAllister, RHP, New York Yankees

Matthew Maloney, LHP, Cincinnati Reds

Lance Broadway, RHP, Chicago White Sox

Two words....

Jake Arrieta

Can you pick recently drafted players?

Just a point - almost all of early 1st-round draft talents are better than any of the guys you mentioned. Wouldn't want you to choose among that list while the Rule IV guys are head & shoulders ahead of that group.

I personally don't think the best are even on that list. Where are kids like Jennings and Cardenas, just to name two?

If everyone has full rosters we have 216 minor leaguers (increasing to 240 next season), so you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find guys. The list I have above is a few players from John Sickels updated 50/50 list that aren't on teams in my league. Jennings was the #1 overall pick this past preseason (our minor league rosters are locked in terms of adds after August 1st), even in front of Fukudome. Cardenas was on a roster I think since early '07.

Scoutingbook's top available guys right now would be Sean Rodriguez, Jason Windsor, Adam Ottavino, umm yeah... That's not a real good list (just did it at a glance) but yeah..

Two drops today: The guy I traded Chris Tillman to dropped Adam Miller to make room, and a guy who I traded Jake Mcgee (along with Delmon Young and Tulo for Miggy) dropped him today with his TJ surgery. For the time being I added Arrieta as I felt he was the best personally before posting. I added McDonald for the time being, but I'm not sold on him completely. Having 2 Dodger pitchers (along with Elbert) and neither of them being Kershaw sucks.

Can you pick recently drafted players?

Just a point - almost all of early 1st-round draft talents are better than any of the guys you mentioned. Wouldn't want you to choose among that list while the Rule IV guys are head & shoulders ahead of that group.

We had a 60 player draft already the Monday after the draft. I got Tim Beckham #3, Kyle Skipworth #8 (Probably should have taken Alonso but wanted a catcher), Shooter Hunt #20, Jake Ordorrizi #32, Tyler Ladendorf #44

This is how our fantasy draft went of Rule IV draft picks if anyone cares... I had the 8th pick in each round courtesy of my 4th place in the standings as of June 1st.

1 Pedro Alvarez

2 Buster Posey

3 Tim Beckham

4 Justin Smoak

5 Eric Hosmer

6 Brian Matusz

7 Aaron Crow

8 Kyle Skipworth

9 Jemile Weeks

10 Gordan Beckham

11 Yonder Alonso

12 Brett Wallace

13 Aaron Hicks

14 Brett Lawrie

15 Ethan Martin

16 Josh Fields

17 Ike Davis

18 Andrew Cashner

19 Gerritt Cole

20 Shooter Hunt

21 Anthony Hewitt

22 Tanner Scheppers

23 Conor Gillaspie

24 Christian Friedrich

25 Jason Castro

26 Kyle Lobstein

27 Allan Dykstra

28 Casey Kelly

29 Tim Melville

30 David Cooper

31 Logan Forsythe

32 Jake Odorizzi

33 Ryan Perry

34 Daniel Schlereth

35 Anthony Gose

36 Carlos Gutierez

37 Zach Collier

38 Jaff Decker

39 Reese Havens

40 Lonnie Chisenhall

41 Roger Kieschnick

42 Isaac Galloway

43 Brad Holt

44 Tyler Ladendorf

45 Dennis Raben

46 Chris Carpenter

47 Brett Hunter

48 Evan Frederikson

49 Brett DeVall

50 Mike Montgomery

51 Ross Seaton

52 declined

53 Blake Tekotle

54 Destin Hood

55 Cody Adams

56 James Darnell

57 Petey Paramore

58 Jordan Lyles

59 Zach Cox

60 declined

We had a 60 player draft already the Monday after the draft. I got Tim Beckham #3, Kyle Skipworth #8 (Probably should have taken Alonso), Shooter Hunt #20, Jake Ordorrizi #32, Tyler Ladendorf #44

Fair enough, I had to ask.

Arrieta & Halman, for the reasons already cited - their FBB ceilings are as high as anyone on the list, and they have a little more projectibility than the others IMO.

(grumble) Looks like I started something today. Wilmer Flores was just picked up tonight. Not a big fan of people holding on to 16 year old kids, but I guess the Latin 16 year olds are comparable to the 18 year old USA kids we're drafting. Was hoping to target him later in our February draft next season when I have some free spots with some of my minor leaguers graduating to my major league team (and getting 4 free keeper seasons). Should have seen this coming after someone picked up Inoa 10-15 days ago.

Flores has been amazing in SS so far. I'm pretty high on Chacin. He might move quickly next year on up. They brought up Morales & Jimenez pretty quickly. I was always under the impression taht Jacobs would be dealt soon & Cantu moved to 1st, Uggla to 3rd & Coughlin called up. Need to see what Doolittle can do in AA before I commit on him. If you go ceilings, I'd go Halman & Arrieta closely followed by Chacin.

If everyone has full rosters we have 216 minor leaguers (increasing to 240 next season), so you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find guys. The list I have above is a few players from John Sickels updated 50/50 list that aren't on teams in my league. Jennings was the #1 overall pick this past preseason (our minor league rosters are locked in terms of adds after August 1st), even in front of Fukudome. Cardenas was on a roster I think since early '07.

Scoutingbook's top available guys right now would be Sean Rodriguez, Jason Windsor, Adam Ottavino, umm yeah... That's not a real good list (just did it at a glance) but yeah..

Two drops today: The guy I traded Chris Tillman to dropped Adam Miller to make room, and a guy who I traded Jake Mcgee (along with Delmon Young and Tulo for Miggy) dropped him today with his TJ surgery. For the time being I added Arrieta as I felt he was the best personally before posting. I added McDonald for the time being, but I'm not sold on him completely. Having 2 Dodger pitchers (along with Elbert) and neither of them being Kershaw sucks.

Sounds like a league after my own heart - deep in minor league farm players. I recently included McDonald in a trade in my NL only league to acquire Victorino since I need steals. One of the reasons I traded him is because I'm pretty sure he'll be included in any trade the Dodgers might make before the deadline. I love his upside a ton more if he's pitching half of his games at the Ravine.

I've had Elbert on my farm team in two leagues for the past couple of years. I wouldn't be too discouraged if I were you. He was the man before anyone even had Kershaw on their Radar. Give him some time to get his post surgery arm strength back. The kid is not yet 23 and I still love his upside. He's the one guy I look forward to keeping an eye on the most next spring when the Dodgers start training in the Cactus League.

I read that someone in your league dropped McGee or Miller. Honestly, I'd pick up one of them (actually have both in my dynasty league.......grrrr). TJ surgeries aren't as bad as they used to be, and they usually come back the same and/or even a bit better than the time before most of the the times. Now once they come back it usually takes about 4-5 months to recover their control.

McGee was already at AA, and would've ended the year at AAA. So you will have to wait 2 years on him, before he's back. The Rest of this year, and most of next year. And since he'll be back for less than a full season he won't make the Rays next year. But he has a very good chance of making the team the next year. And you already know he's an elite talent. Instead of waiting say 3-4 years on someone who may or maynot become an elite talent, wait 2 years on someone to recover from injury, and get back to their elite talent.

From the Hitters, I think Halman has probably the best tools there, although Doolittle has some upside as well. For the pitchers I like Arrieta and Tucker. Arrieta has some nice stuff and is doing very well in the minors. Tucker has a great arm with an upper 90's fastball and nifty slider. The Marlins just got desperate and promoted him, and obviously he wasn't ready. He needs to fine tune his 3rd pitch. And for fantasy values, he'll play in the NL East, and have that stadium as him home park. The Braves, Mets, Nats all play in pitchers park, although the Phillies do play in a hitters park.

On McAllister, nice prospect. He was more of a control pitcher when drafted, that put on velocity afterwards. He knows the game well, and is doing pretty well in the minors. Only caution is that when and if he gets promoted, he'll be in the AL East. His stuff is nice, although not out of this world type stuff, but nice. I'd keep an eye on him as far as trades go.

In regards to drafting, and this is just my personal philosophy, draft hitters early that have good tools and projections. Then draft high upside pitchers. Scouting on someone like Nick Adenhart (who went pretty early in drafts) and someone like Trevor Cahill (who went late in drafts this year) are similar. While more pitchers may get hurt and pitchers are generally dangerous, you also have a better chance to find a hidden gem there. Since most people are used to the numerical values, you can evaluate a pitcher based on talent. You may read that a hitter has great bat speed, but you have no numerical value to it. With pitchers you can look at their stuff, AND numbers, and attempt to find aces. IMO, you are more likely to find an ace late in the draft than you are to find a stud hitter.

Totally not proven, at all, yet...but it Juan Duran available? Could be something special.

This is my current minor league team.  I'd love to add Jake McGee, Adam Miller, Sean Rodriguez (Would love thoughts on him), James McDonald, and a few other players mentioned in this thread.  Looking at this roster I really don't have the ability to do so unless I start making some trades of the "name guys."  Was disappointed I had to trade Chris Tillman, but I wasn't going to bother arguing what prospect was included with Stephen Drew, Alex Gordon, and Scott Kazmir for Hanley Ramirez.  I'm also going to need to remove Chris Davis from my minor league team in the next 2 weeks or I'll lose a free keeper year on him in 2012.  I'm hoping I can move Adenhart to someone who hasn't followed his progress since being moved down.  Moving Morales would make me happy as I hate having the Colorado pitchers.  Bailey's control scares the hell out of me and I don't know how "great" he'll be in Cincy.  This the worst my minor league team has been in about 4 years, but mainly because other team managers are starting to get a bit more involved (which is a good thing imo).  

Pitching:

Clay Bucholz

Homer Bailey

Nick Adenhart

Franklin Morales

Carlos Carrasco

Brett Anderson

Scott Elbert

Jake Arrieta

Shooter Hunt*

Jake Ordorrizi*

Hitting:

Jay Bruce

Todd Frazier

Ben Revere

Greg Halman

Bryan Anderson

Tim Beckham*

Kyle Skipworth*

Tyler Ladendorf*

*2008 Draftee - May only replace with another 2008 Rule IV player.