heero78

Carmelo Anthony 2019-2020 Outlook

Oh ya'll quiet now huh ... LMAOOOOOO nah jk i'm not gonna get hype over this cause there is still a whole other qtr left ūüėā

1 minute ago, shiftysaj said:

Oh ya'll quiet now huh ... LMAOOOOOO nah jk i'm not gonna get hype over this cause there is still a whole other qtr left ūüėā

This is not the vent/rant thread.

Watching Giannis vs. Melo is literally like watching past and future. Giannis is 6'11", compared to 6'8" Melo. Giannis is a beast in every aspect of the game. Melo was a 2-dimensional classic PF from the 00s, Giannis is what the best at the same position looks like today.

Obvious?

• Like 1

own 0 stocks of melo but its good to see him playing well out there. 

Damn bruh.. only 2nd game back after a year off.

no one here said this would be the second coming of Jesus for melo... but the disrespect for a future hall of famer from so many espn analyst here is disturbing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

Accept the fact that he’s no longer much of an athlete and have some awareness? Not try to take Giannis to the basket because Giannis will steal the ball or block it?.... which Giannis did... Melo needs to go full Vince Carter and just shoot 3s

https://streamable.com/uh8g0

Last play of the first half...he actually waved off CJ and tried to take it to the rim against Giannis and Brolo...jumped about 3 inches off the ground...and got swatted away like a little kid.

This is what is infuriating about Melo. He can obviously still shoot the open 3. But he refuses to adapt like VC and Kidd did at the end of their careers and still trys to iso and shoot elbow jumpers like it's 2008. And he wonders why no team wants to sign him?  He may end up with a decent line tonight but this mindset is what is going to lead to him not sticking around. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

https://streamable.com/uh8g0

Last play of the first half...he actually waved off CJ and tried to take it to the rim against Giannis and Brolo...jumped about 3 inches off the ground...and got swatted away like a little kid.

This is what is infuriating about Melo. He can obviously still shoot the open 3. But he refuses to adapt like VC and Kidd did at the end of their careers and still trys to iso and shoot elbow jumpers like it's 2008. And he wonders why no team wants to sign him?  He may end up with a decent line tonight but this mindset is what is going to lead to him not sticking around. 

Exactly this. He’s been saying all the right things about how he’s willing to accept playing within a scheme but he’s still doing all the same things that got him booted from the league. But he can still score to an extent and will likely chuck away for the Blazers until they call it quits 

Edited by Bringthesonicsback
  • Like 1

No Dame yet. Wanna see how he goes as the third option(?) and with a better playmaker before fìnal judgement. Unless they dump him sooner than that...

Edited by fantasick

di vicenzo run in front¬†of him and ez 2ūüėā

good stats for punt fg.. like me

one kuzma, but more oldūüėĀ

Edited by Rejects
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Watching Giannis vs. Melo is literally like watching past and future. Giannis is 6'11", compared to 6'8" Melo. Giannis is a beast in every aspect of the game. Melo was a 2-dimensional classic PF from the 00s, Giannis is what the best at the same position looks like today.

Obvious?

Well to be fair Melo only played PF for like 2 seasons, if that. The majority of his career was at SF.

• Like 1

That last middy? Thing of beauty if you a basketball fan

I wish I can get excited off of 6 out of 15 shooting and nothing else lol.

7 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

Nice but he waved cj off a few times like its his team lmaoo

And to think a few months ago they stared down a depleted Warriors team at a chance at the Finals. Smh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

And to think a few months ago they stared down a depleted Warriors team at a chance at the Finals. Smh.

Olshey's always been a bit of a riverboat gambler but this may be the year it finally catches up to him.

The blurb from RW for Melo: 

Carmelo Anthony hogs ball, scores 18. 

Hahaha 

• Haha 4

I give it about another 4-5 games before POR pulls the plug on Melo in the starting lineup.

Portland is 5-11, and looks absolutely horrible on defense. allowing 111 points per game to opponents. Not only that, they have the lowest AST% in the entire league.

The last thing POR needs is a sharp-shooter who finishes 5-of-14 from the field on most nights and who doesn't pass.

And at this rate, all it's going to take is a couple more losses before Stotts is forced to make some roster decisions. They're already 5-11, and you better believe that if that number gets to 5-14 or 6-13, that Melo's going to be one of the first guys' they look at when analyzing their roster.

I'll give him credit, he looks like he's in great shape, much better shape than he was with HOU last year...

But in the end...it all feels forced. Watching his game kind of reminds me of the BIG 3 Tournament...

Feels like a guy whose retired...can still hoop a little and can get up a few jumpers...but ultimately lacks the ability to compete at the highest level anymore.

Big improvement. One thing working against him is that they're losing... A lot. They need to win 55% of their games just to finish .500.

6 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

The main point here is he's an upgrade over Mario, who they were trotting out there as their starting 4. 

Is he really though?  I don't see Super Mario waving off CJ or Lillard to iso drive against the league MVP in Giannis and take a horrible shot. Having a strong negative taking shots away from your best players is often worse than someone that does nothing at all. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Is he really though?  I don't see Super Mario waving off CJ or Lillard to iso drive against the league MVP in Giannis and take a horrible shot. Having a strong negative taking shots away from your best players is often worse than someone that does nothing at all. 

Mario is a garbage NBA baller. Well established. I'm not a Melo fan but he's better.

• Like 1

Anyone sorta wondering how/if Dame's return does anything to Melo?

Just a theory, but I wonder if Stotts is encouraging Melo to attack the rim/shoot because Dame's out, and other than CJM, there's nobody to put the ball into the basket (which is a main reason why Melo's on the Blazers in the first place).  And sure, Melo's driven into the lane against superior defenses last game (like his ill-fated dunk attempt on Hayes), but it could also be that Whiteside was out and Melo had a better floor spacer with Tolliver at C.  So perhaps Dame's return may allow him to return to the Olympic Melo, who simply stays at the 3-point line to nail kickouts, and occasionally posts up smaller defenders in iso.

Of course, this is a HUGE IF, since Melo's obviously not shy about demanding the ball anyway (e.g. waving off CJM), so it could just be him being typical Melo.  And yeah, Dame's return will probably lower his shot attempts too, especially since (according to the blurb), the Blazers aren't much of a passing team.  So yeah, I'm only just suggesting this idea.  It's possible, if not probable, that Dame's return turns Melo into a 12/4/2 guy with 1.5 treys a night, which is barely rosterable in 12-teams considering the load management/rest factor.

But I guess my point is that I'd love to see Dame play alongside Melo (not because it'll help Melo, but because it'll answer some questions for ROS).  And I mean, last game was actually much better than I expected, considering he's playing against one of the better defenses in the league, and against the best player at his position (who shot 9/27 last night), so I'm slightly surprised so many are actually using his last game to criticize him.

3 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

Having more fouls than points and rebounds is also a negative.