Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toucans of Whoopass

Craig Brazell

They aren't building minor league ballparks big enough to keep the ball in play when Royals 1B prospect Craig Brazell steps to the dish. Brazell, who started the year in Double-A, has been tearing the cover off the ball since his promotion to Triple-A Omaha. In 16 games, he has 13 homers, 24 RBI and a .397 average. He has eight homers in his last five games, which included two-homer outings in four of those contests. He leads all of the minor leagues in homers.

Need I say more?

Nope. You said it all. He's a Royals prospect.

Isn't he, like, 27 years old? I think I remember him being one of those old "prospects," if you can really call him that. My apologies if I'm thinking of the wrong guy.

Being a Royal's fan, I have to be honest and say that this is the first time I've ever heard of him. You always hear about other prospects that they have (Billy Butler, Chris Lubanski, Luke Hochevar etc) so this guy must be a FA signing or something. Last I heard, I thought that Justin Huber was playing 1st base for Omaha.

dude is pretty old. I remember having a franchise with the mets on mvp 05 and he was on my AAA team. I think he was 25 or 26 in that game.

He's on a tear no doubt...but he's hardly a prospect. I would know because he had been in the Mets system for about 8 years, he has a lot of pop in his swing, but also a lot of holes. He had a cup of tea for the team in 2004 in late September, but was never really considered to play the position full-time for them.

He's probably one of those classic AAAA type players, a free swinger who will hit a ton of homers in the minors but has difficulty getting on base regularly.

Jack Cust is 10x better. He can draw walks at least and get on base.

Could be talking about Jack Cust... or even Calvin Pickering. Any other career minor league mashers we are missing out on?

Thats the kid the Mets traded to Boston for Doug MeintK a few years ago. He's a decent bat and does well in the minors, but I dont think he'll be much in the bigs, unless he's gotten better then when we had him. I dont see him much more then either a decent bench guy or a AAAA type player.