Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MustacheToes

2008 Disappointments

Who are some other guys who just flopped this year? I think 2 of the bigger ones have to be the highly sought out MI prospects in Antonelli and Brignac, they have been just terrible this year.

Any other disappointments that you guys think are done? Or maybe some to buy low and take a chance on for 09?

Homer Bailey continued to dissapoint, but i still got faith in him for 2010

Homer Bailey continued to dissapoint, but i still got faith in him for 2010

Yeah, forgot about him. I had my eye on him this year, watched him in the bigs, and have given up just about all hope.

2010 eh? All of 09 in the minors shaping up with a late call up maybe?

Add Pie to this list as well, he looked terrible. Starting to hit a lot better of late in AAA though.

Some other names, with different outcomes:

1. Desmond Jennings - out for the year with surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Since he should recover, this would make him an ideal buy-low guy, if he's available - should fly under the radar in most leagues. In my league format, I actually get rewarded, since our minors guys start @ $10 if they get called up & lose rookie status their 1st year, $5 if they do it in their 2nd year, and $1 if they do it in their 3rd year & beyond. Since the injury won't affect his wheels or his batting eye, and *shouldn't* affect his power (which only ends up being 15-20 HR in most scouts' opinions), I'm still a believer, albeit for a mid-2010 debut. VERDICT: Buy low, for sure (not in my league, though - I'm keeping him, LOL).

2. Jose Tabata - still a boatload of talent, but the speed is gone, and as others have touched on, issues about his makeup. Still so very young, so time for development, but the lustre has fallen off in a big way. Can't say I'm optimistic with the move to Pittsburgh, although he does get to go to an easier league IMO to learn on the job when he gets the call. VERDICT: Pass, except if it's a really late round minors pick

3. Wade Davis - didn't do badly at all, just didn't dominate as many expected. In his case, I believe he's a perfect post-hype sleeper, since Hellickson & Price are getting more press. In Hellickson's case, I love what he's done, but Davis still surpasses him ceiling-wise - something to keep in mind for the future. VERDICT: Buy low

4. Billy Rowell - like Tabata, so young, but man, has he been pretty ordinary the past 2 seasons. Still time to turn things around, but unless the light comes on soon, not going to amount to the potential star a top 10 draft position targets. VERDICT: Stay far, far away.

5. Mike Moustakas - here, I think the high draft position and the false impression that he could be a SS hurts him perception-wise. His power spike is promising in the 2nd half, so long as people realize the best-case scenario is 2B, but more likely corner OF (3B will be filled by Gordon for years to come, have faith). Still, the post-hype criticism would identify him as a good guy to target with a perceived off-year. VERDICT: Buy low.

Ian Kennedy, Buchholz, Schaefer, Bailey, McCutchen, W Davis, Morales, Rasmus, Adenhart, Marrero, Clement, Detwiler, Antonelli, Hurley, Towles, Nelson, Burgess, Jones, Walker, and Reynolds.

Jacob McGee. I had high hopes for him this season and he disappointed. Then he gets injured and needed TJ surgery. I still like McGee in the future, just thought he'd do alot more this season.

Jacob McGee. I had high hopes for him this season and he disappointed. Then he gets injured and needed TJ surgery. I still like McGee in the future, just thought he'd do alot more this season.

Not really a disappointment, but a guy who had TJ surgery that had a lot of talent is Fautino De Los Santos.

I agree with RRF about Desmond Jennings being #1 as far as disappointing. I disagree with some of you that list Rasmus since he was starting what is becoming his norm mid season bust out until he got hurt.

I agree with RRF about Desmond Jennings being #1 as far as disappointing. I disagree with some of you that list Rasmus since he was starting what is becoming his norm mid season bust out until he got hurt.

Also agree with Jennings, and don't think the injury will linger at all for 09 and but maybe effect him this year.

Rasmus worries me, especially with how upset he was with the Cardinals organization that was in more then 1 article. Not only that, but I also thought he was quite a bit overrated and not a future STUD.

Some other names, with different outcomes:

1. Desmond Jennings - out for the year with surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. Since he should recover, this would make him an ideal buy-low guy, if he's available - should fly under the radar in most leagues. In my league format, I actually get rewarded, since our minors guys start @ $10 if they get called up & lose rookie status their 1st year, $5 if they do it in their 2nd year, and $1 if they do it in their 3rd year & beyond. Since the injury won't affect his wheels or his batting eye, and *shouldn't* affect his power (which only ends up being 15-20 HR in most scouts' opinions), I'm still a believer, albeit for a mid-2010 debut. VERDICT: Buy low, for sure (not in my league, though - I'm keeping him, LOL).

2. Jose Tabata - still a boatload of talent, but the speed is gone, and as others have touched on, issues about his makeup. Still so very young, so time for development, but the lustre has fallen off in a big way. Can't say I'm optimistic with the move to Pittsburgh, although he does get to go to an easier league IMO to learn on the job when he gets the call. VERDICT: Pass, except if it's a really late round minors pick

3. Wade Davis - didn't do badly at all, just didn't dominate as many expected. In his case, I believe he's a perfect post-hype sleeper, since Hellickson & Price are getting more press. In Hellickson's case, I love what he's done, but Davis still surpasses him ceiling-wise - something to keep in mind for the future. VERDICT: Buy low

4. Billy Rowell - like Tabata, so young, but man, has he been pretty ordinary the past 2 seasons. Still time to turn things around, but unless the light comes on soon, not going to amount to the potential star a top 10 draft position targets. VERDICT: Stay far, far away.

5. Mike Moustakas - here, I think the high draft position and the false impression that he could be a SS hurts him perception-wise. His power spike is promising in the 2nd half, so long as people realize the best-case scenario is 2B, but more likely corner OF (3B will be filled by Gordon for years to come, have faith). Still, the post-hype criticism would identify him as a good guy to target with a perceived off-year. VERDICT: Buy low.

You sure about Mous, kid has been on fire after a terrible start. He also has been mentioned on BA-Hot Sheet multiple times.

You sure about Mous, kid has been on fire after a terrible start. He also has been mentioned on BA-Hot Sheet multiple times.

I believe a lot of people *view him* as a disappointment (BA notwithstanding), but I agree that is more about perception and misguided projections about his future position. And yes, he's had a very good 2nd half, which is why I suggest he *might* be had from owners who aren't paying close attention (or who don't read BA, LOL).

I still love Rasmus and see him as the next Grady Sizemore, but he dissapointed me this year. I thought he would take home the NL ROY honors quite easily.

My entire MILB roster

Pitchers I thought would take a step forward, and contribute to the MLB team this year:

Alan Horne (Dead Arm): He has the stuff to be good, and he had an opportunity this year to take a shot that majors. He comes up with a dead arm, and hasn't been good all year. He will most likely get shut down for the year soon.

Homer Bailey: I thought he would put it together and be atleast decent. I'm starting to lose faith in him, because his control really doesn't seem to be improving, and playing in that bandbox means that if he has to serve up pitches down the middle behind in the count, its not going to be fielded.

Adam Miller: He's always had the stuff, but always goes down to injuries. And this year was no different, goes down with some weird hand injury. I figured he'd be healthy one of these years, and he probably would've gotten a decent chance at the rotation this year with Cleveland struggling.

Jacob McGee: Was doing decent, although I expected better from him. Then goes down with TJ surgery.

Nick Adenhart: He wasn't thought of as an ace potential, but he's been pretty bad this year, and it looks more and more like he'll be a back end starter.

This is on top of the MLB rookie flops in Hughes, Kennedy, Bucholz, and Morales.

In terms of hitters:

JR Towles: A lot of prospect sites had him near or even ahead of Soto at the start of the year. He's been just brutal this year, and a major disappointment.

Chin-Lung Hu: Everyone knew defense was his strong side, but scouts thought he had made the adjustment with that bat to be decent. Didn't impress.

Carlos Gonzalez: The injury probably didn't help, but I thought he'd be a better hitter by now. He could be someone going through growing pains like Quinten did in Arizona though.

Daric Barton: Was supposed to be a good average guy, with good OBP, but he was a major disapointment.

Jose Tabata: This was the year he was supposed to break out and show people that he was really the same player that scouts labeled as a future star quality player, but he regressed this year. Part of it may have to do with the hamate bone surgery, so he could rebound next year.

Desmond Jennings: as RRF pointed out.

My entire MILB roster

Pitchers I thought would take a step forward, and contribute to the MLB team this year:

Alan Horne (Dead Arm): He has the stuff to be good, and he had an opportunity this year to take a shot that majors. He comes up with a dead arm, and hasn't been good all year. He will most likely get shut down for the year soon.

Homer Bailey: I thought he would put it together and be atleast decent. I'm starting to lose faith in him, because his control really doesn't seem to be improving, and playing in that bandbox means that if he has to serve up pitches down the middle behind in the count, its not going to be fielded.

Adam Miller: He's always had the stuff, but always goes down to injuries. And this year was no different, goes down with some weird hand injury. I figured he'd be healthy one of these years, and he probably would've gotten a decent chance at the rotation this year with Cleveland struggling.

Jacob McGee: Was doing decent, although I expected better from him. Then goes down with TJ surgery.

Nick Adenhart: He wasn't thought of as an ace potential, but he's been pretty bad this year, and it looks more and more like he'll be a back end starter.

This is on top of the MLB rookie flops in Hughes, Kennedy, Bucholz, and Morales.

In terms of hitters:

JR Towles: A lot of prospect sites had him near or even ahead of Soto at the start of the year. He's been just brutal this year, and a major disappointment.

Chin-Lung Hu: Everyone knew defense was his strong side, but scouts thought he had made the adjustment with that bat to be decent. Didn't impress.

Carlos Gonzalez: The injury probably didn't help, but I thought he'd be a better hitter by now. He could be someone going through growing pains like Quinten did in Arizona though.

Daric Barton: Was supposed to be a good average guy, with good OBP, but he was a major disapointment.

Jose Tabata: This was the year he was supposed to break out and show people that he was really the same player that scouts labeled as a future star quality player, but he regressed this year. Part of it may have to do with the hamate bone surgery, so he could rebound next year.

Desmond Jennings: as RRF pointed out.

This is a great list. A lot of guys on here that I was going to mention.

Others:

Brent Lillibridge

Steven Pearce

Neil Walker (is his time as a "prospect" over?)

Franklin Morales (what happened to the velocity? He was 97 and wicked last year.)

What do you guys think of Jennings next year? I own him in my dynasty and refused to trade him because I love his upside. Was really dissapointing to see him injured all year.

What do you guys think of Jennings next year? I own him in my dynasty and refused to trade him because I love his upside. Was really dissapointing to see him injured all year.

I own him in a couple of leagues also and am concerned that A) he will always be injury prone due to his slight build B) that he is unwilling to play through injuries C) That his injury is more severe than the team has let on. I hate to speculate on injuries, especially on minor leaguers where there is very little information available. But this was a huge year for Jennings to miss as far as his escalated rise to the bigs, so concern is warranted in my opinion.

All that being said I am going to hold onto him through next spring and see if he appears healthy or plays winter ball. He still is a 5 tool talent but if he isn't 100% healthy next spring I will release him and let him take up a spot on someone elses roster.

I own him in a couple of leagues also and am concerned that A) he will always be injury prone due to his slight build B) that he is unwilling to play through injuries C) That his injury is more severe than the team has let on. I hate to speculate on injuries, especially on minor leaguers where there is very little information available. But this was a huge year for Jennings to miss as far as his escalated rise to the bigs, so concern is warranted in my opinion.

All that being said I am going to hold onto him through next spring and see if he appears healthy or plays winter ball. He still is a 5 tool talent but if he isn't 100% healthy next spring I will release him and let him take up a spot on someone elses roster.

Ya I can't drop him until I see another year of injuries or bad play. From everything i've heard he could be what everyone was expecting of Crawford. Plus he has alot better plate discipline.

Neil Walker (is his time as a "prospect" over?)

He's actually having his best HR season of his career, but he's definitely not what I drafted him for several years ago. The Scouting Notebook (Stats, Inc. and Sporting News collaboration) had tabbed him as a player who would stay at catcher and hit 40 HR a season. B) Looking back on that claim and seeing where he is now, I can't help but laugh at myself for drafting him. He was moved to 3B so he could have a faster track to the majors, but then they drafted Pedro Alvarez and traded for Andy LaRoche. I'd say Neil needs a trade if he ever wants to see the big leagues in his career.