Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thezing1

Max Scherzer

Max Scherezer signed with the D-Backs yesterday and i was wondering if anyone can give me any info on him. I picked him up in my dynasty league since he was a first round pick last year and was projected to go higher in the draft this year. Anyone know anything about him.....

Max Scherezer signed with the D-Backs yesterday and i was wondering if anyone can give me any info on him. I picked him up in my dynasty league since he was a first round pick last year and was projected to go higher in the draft this year. Anyone know anything about him.....

hard throwing righty who did touch high 90s in college but has had arm problems recently and is now throwing in the lower/mid 90s.

hes a high effort guy with a violent delivery which could be the cause of his arm problems. doesnt really have great 2ndary pitches yet. his best is probably his slider, which is above average.

he worked on a change and a 2 seamer but he mainly relied on his fastball slider combo.

cuz hes such a high effort guy (see violent delivery) he could be a closer in the future. hopefully arm troubles dont dog him.

if he avoids injury i could see him up sometime next summer as a reliever. he needs serious work on his 2ndary pitches to become a starter though. reminds me a bit of pelfrey.

Yes.

If he were to have gone in this years draft he'd have probably been the best RHP in it. He was rated , headed into last year, as the top RHP in last years draft but his stock fell a little. He missed six starts last year in college, one for hurting his middle finger slamming his hand against a door, and five more with biceps tendinitis. He can hit the up 90s with his fastball but usually pitches in the the 92-94 range,usually peaking at 95. He doesnt really have a consistent second 'plus' pitch, though his slider is nice and can hit 88-89 at times, even if he is inconsistent with it.

if he fails at starting or scuffles, he would easily be able to come a closer since he has two plus pitches, and that's all a closer needs.

And he is definately worth owning in a dynasty or a league where you have a deep minor league system.

My league has 40 man rosters so I feel pretty happy getting him on my team especially since my team really lacks pitching upside.

Thanks for the reports Gargz and Achtung.....the main follow up question I have is does Scherzer have good movement on his fastball? I feel without good movement he is really going to have to work on a 2 seamer or make his change-up a big league pitch. If his fastball misses a lot of bats I suppose he can get away with the fastball/slider combo, but pitching to college kids is very, very different than pitching to high minor league and major league hitters.

Seeing as how he was a starter and projects as a relief pitcher, are there any comparisons that can be made with Brandon Morrow. It seems like Scherzer has an easier time keeping his walks in check, but it seems like it would be tough to better Morrow's stuff.

He added a two seam fast ball last year, but hasn't mastered it yet. Presumably, it has movement because it's a two seamer.