Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J. Cyrus

Rotoworld Forums Vegas Pick'em Leaderboard/Results

I'd like to request that this thread only be used to update the weekly standings of our Rotoworld Forums Vegas Pick'em game. We will be beginning with Week 3. Is it possible to Pin this thread, mods?

CURRENT PLAYERS:

J. Cyrus

LinceArmStrong

Hawks

MiggyManCrush

RestoreTheRoar

cizastro

King Ding Aling

giggity

#1Stunna

Spike11

Will be updated as members join. Deadline for JOINING will be FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 26TH @ MIDNIGHT EST. You will be at a disadvantage to those who played in Week 3, but oh well. Those who miss 2 consecutive weeks will be removed from the game, but please try not to miss any. This way it stays entertaining for everyone.

I'd like to request that this thread only be used to update the weekly standings of our Rotoworld Forums Vegas Pick'em game. We will be beginning with Week 3. Is it possible to Pin this thread, mods?

It will be moved to the "Your Leagues" Forum.

It will be moved to the "Your Leagues" Forum.

^Sweet, thanks. Is it possible I could be given permission to edit all posts in this thread? This way I could update the league roster without making multiple posts. Either that, or if you guys could merge my roster updates/standings updates into the same post when necessary that would be nice.

Lemme know!

CURRENT PLAYERS:

J. Cyrus

LinceArmStrong

Hawks

MiggyManCrush

RestoreTheRoar

cizastro

King Ding Aling

giggity

#1Stunna

Spike11

sLim

Will be updated as members join. Deadline for JOINING will be FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 26TH @ MIDNIGHT EST. You will be at a disadvantage to those who played in Week 3, but oh well. Those who miss 2 consecutive weeks will be removed from the game, but please try not to miss any. This way it stays entertaining for everyone.

IF YOU JOIN, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO PARTICIPATE FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON. IF YOU ARE INFREQUENT AT THESE FORUMS OR ARE A WISHY-WASHY PERSON IN GENERAL, DO NOT BOTHER TO JOIN! THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN THESE TYPE OF GAMES FIZZLING OUT AFTER A MONTH BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE UNRELIABLE.

Is it free or for cash money?

Is it free or for cash money?

Free... the wager thread is in the main forum.

ATS O/U

1. giggity* 3/4 = 75% 2/4 = 50%

2. RestoreTheRoar* 3/4 = 75% 1/4 = 25%

3. Hawks 3/5 = 60% 0/5 = 0%

4. J. Cyrus 3/6 = 50% 3/6 = 50%

5. Spike 11* 2/4 = 50% 1/4 = 25%

6. sLim 2/5 = 40% 5/5 = 100%

7. #1Stunna 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

8. MiggyManCrush 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

9. cizastro 2/5 = 40% 3/5 = 60%

10. whiskeyriver 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

11. LinceArmStrong ---------- ---------

12. King Ding Aling ---------- ---------

*Pending the results of Monday Night Football.

ATS O/U

1. giggity* 3/4 = 75% 2/4 = 50%

2. RestoreTheRoar* 3/4 = 75% 1/4 = 25%

5. Spike 11* 2/4 = 50% 1/4 = 25%

6. sLim 2/5 = 40% 5/5 = 100%

7. #1Stunna 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

8. MiggyManCrush 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

9. cizastro 2/5 = 40% 3/5 = 60%

10. whiskeyriver 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

*Pending the results of Monday Night Football.

So the over/under doesn't count? If it does, Hawks and Spike should be below me.

is it fair for some ppl to be picking only 4, and some ppl picking 6??

much harder imo to go 3 for 5 than to go 2 for 4. also easier to go 3 for 6 than 3 for 5.

we need to fix this error. i was of the understanding we'd all pick exactly 5 and the corresponding O/U's...i was also under the impression you ONLY GET POINTS for hitting both the spread AND the over unders...did we change that somewhere along the way?

...in short...i should be higher in the standings and i'm upset!! lol but seriously rules are rules. if u picked 6..ur last pick shouldnt count imo. and if u picked 4...it should be graded out of 5. also we should only be getting points on hitting both spread and O/U if thats what the rules were. unless they were changed then my bad

EDIT: my bad...he 4 ppl are probably cuz they picked the MNF game

but cyrus no offense ur last pick u made shouldnt count imho. and still confused at how we're scoring them if we need to get both or not anymore

is it fair for some ppl to be picking only 4, and some ppl picking 6??

much harder imo to go 3 for 5 than to go 2 for 4. also easier to go 3 for 6 than 3 for 5.

we need to fix this error. i was of the understanding we'd all pick exactly 5 and the corresponding O/U's...i was also under the impression you ONLY GET POINTS for hitting both the spread AND the over unders...did we change that somewhere along the way?

...in short...i should be higher in the standings and i'm upset!! lol but seriously rules are rules. if u picked 6..ur last pick shouldnt count imo. and if u picked 4...it should be graded out of 5. also we should only be getting points on hitting both spread and O/U if thats what the rules were. unless they were changed then my bad

EDIT: my bad...he 4 ppl are probably cuz they picked the MNF game

but cyrus no offense ur last pick u made shouldnt count imho. and still confused at how we're scoring them if we need to get both or not anymore

^To address everyone's questions and clear up misunderstandings:

-5 Games was a MINIMUM, to establish a baseline. You can pick more if you want, and it has an equal chance of working for or against you. My general impression was that some ppl even thought 5 picks was too many, so folks going over would be rare.

-O/U only serves as a tiebreaker between ties in ATS performance. I conceived this game with the idea that choosing ATS was (in my opinion) the truest form of football prognostication, with O/U being important but secondary to ATS. For this reason I included O/U as simply a tiebreaker/interesting side-stat rather than a crucial part of the scoring system.

I wanted to keep this game simple, straightforward, and entertaining, without an overabundance of wrinkles. ATS is the MAIN determiner of rank, with O/U breaking percentage ties when the amount of games is also equal. Everyone's focus should be on choosing games they're confident they can predict the outcome ATS, then worrying about O/U once they've decided on their 5(+?) Games.

I'm going to update the standings now, and you're right Miggy, the ppl who chose 4 were pending the results of MNF. If you look carefully you'll notice the ASTERISK next to each player who's rank was pending MNF results.

ATS O/U

1. giggity 3/5 = 60% 2/5 = 40%

2. RestoreTheRoar 3/5 = 60% 2/5 = 40%

5. sLim 2/5 = 40% 5/5 = 100%

6. #1Stunna 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

7. MiggyManCrush 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

8. cizastro 2/5 = 40% 3/5 = 60%

9. whiskeyriver 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

10. Spike 11 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

^To address everyone's questions and clear up misunderstandings:

-5 Games was a MINIMUM, to establish a baseline. You can pick more if you want, and it has an equal chance of working for or against you. My general impression was that some ppl even thought 5 picks was too many, so folks going over would be rare.

-O/U only serves as a tiebreaker between ties in ATS performance. I conceived this game with the idea that choosing ATS was (in my opinion) the truest form of football prognostication, with O/U being important but secondary to ATS. For this reason I included O/U as simply a tiebreaker/interesting side-stat rather than a crucial part of the scoring system.

I wanted to keep this game simple, straightforward, and entertaining, without an overabundance of wrinkles. ATS is the MAIN determiner of rank, with O/U breaking percentage ties when the amount of games is also equal. Everyone's focus should be on choosing games they're confident they can predict the outcome ATS, then worrying about O/U once they've decided on their 5(+?) Games.

I'm going to update the standings now, and you're right Miggy, the ppl who chose 4 were pending the results of MNF. If you look carefully you'll notice the ASTERISK next to each player who's rank was pending MNF results.

i personally think we should all be picking the SAME number of games. why dont we just make 5 the number of spreads that will be included in the standings. ur top 5 spreads.

-and i could of sworn in the first thread, it was you saying that you thought the mark of the truest football knowledge was predicting the spread AND over/under. maybe i got u mixed up with someone else. anyway i'm fine how it is...but think it would be just more organized if everyone was picking the same number of spreads.

ATS O/U

1. giggity 3/5 = 60% 2/5 = 40%

2. RestoreTheRoar 3/5 = 60% 2/5 = 40%

5. sLim 2/5 = 40% 5/5 = 100%

6. #1Stunna 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

7. MiggyManCrush 2/5 = 40% 4/5 = 80%

8. cizastro 2/5 = 40% 3/5 = 60%

9. whiskeyriver 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

10. Spike 11 2/5 = 40% 2/5 = 40%

It doesn't make ANY sense if Hawks was correct on 3/10 picks, he should be in third. No sense at all.

It doesn't make ANY sense if Hawks was correct on 3/10 picks, he should be in third. No sense at all.

^Look...I came up with this, organized it, and do all the work. I already explained that "Against The Spread" is way more important than Over/Under, and that Over/Under was a late addition to the game (that somebody, I forget who, suggested) as a way to [A] Break Ties, and Add another element to the game and give ppl credit for getting score predictions right too.

So I will repeat, ATS PICKS ARE WEIGHTED MORE HEAVILY THAN O/U PICKS. Not everyone is going to enjoy every facet and detail of the game as it's set up. The idea is to have something that everyone can enjoy for the most part, since it is obviously impossible to please everybody completely.

And I understand what you're getting at Miggy, but like I said earlier...Making more than 5 picks on any given week gives you a completely even shot at helping OR hurting yourself. It's a discretionary move, and it's not like you're gaining an advantage by doing it (unless of course you think you're infallible and making more picks helps you up your percentage lol).

Let's say I have 5 picks, and if I would'a stopped there then I'd have gotten say 3 out of 5 correct. Before I submit, I decide there's 2 other games I'm sure about and take them both; AND I'm wrong about both. This obviously hurts my score since I go from a 3/5 = 60% to a 3/7 = 43%. OR it could go the other way and give me a 5/7 = 71%. OR I could split the extra 2 and lose out by getting a 4/7 = 57%.

I'm sure you get the point right now...the option does not provide an intrinsic competitive advantage and I'd like ppl to have the option of picking more than the minimum if they think they're that good. It just adds another fun element to the game for everyone to choose.

..and i could of sworn in the first thread, it was you saying that you thought the mark of the truest football knowledge was predicting the spread AND over/under.

^I did say that, I just think ATS takes priority over O/U, and I don't think they should be weighted equally in the standings if one if more indicative of aptitude in making picks than the other is.

I know it's your game and all and you're doing all the work, but I agree with Miggy that we should be picking the same amount of games. This isn't about how many total you can get right, it's about picking and choosing your best games to "bet" on. Everyone should be picking the same amount, IMO.

^I did say that, I just think ATS takes priority over O/U, and I don't think they should be weighted equally in the standings if one if more indicative of aptitude in making picks than the other is.

well when u said that i assumed u meant we were only getting credit for games u won BOTH. pretty sure that was the original plan, and somehow got changed along the way...which i just didnt see thats all.

and yeah i get ur point about the %s...it could hurt or help u....BUT i was only referring to our first week..where u were the only one who seemed to know or pick 6 spreads. imo that extra game changes a lot. when u pick 5 games, u dont have the opportunity to go 50% on ur picks. lemme try to simplify it with maybe 3 games. so 3 games vs. 6 games. the margin of difference from winning 1 game out of 3, to 2 games out of 3...is so massive. 33% or 66% winning pct. whereas if u win 2 out of 6...or 3 out of 6...obv the margin of difference aint that big...33% or 50%. i dont even know if this is making sense.

basically i just think its more OFFICIAL, and organized if we all count the same number of games for each week. so like our best 5 spreads. i personally pick spreads for ALL games every week, and maybe we can have it where u can inlcude some other spreads for fun just to see how u do. but only ur top 5 that u hilight should count.

and i DO appreciate all the hard work bro, and ultimately it IS your league and can do whatever u want with it. just really trying to fine tune a couple things so it's as fair as possible. and considering the %'s change depending on how many games u pick...it's a lot better if we're all on level playing field.

I know it's your game and all and you're doing all the work, but I agree with Miggy that we should be picking the same amount of games. This isn't about how many total you can get right, it's about picking and choosing your best games to "bet" on. Everyone should be picking the same amount, IMO.

^I know it's not about how many total you can get right, that's why I organize the standings by PERCENTAGE and not total right or wrong. You can pick 57 games right out of 80 on the year, and if I pick 60 right out of 90 then you win. That's why I keep saying there's no competitive edge by choosing more games on any given week.

And you're right, it's also about choosing the best games to bet on. I think we'd all agree there are always quite a few games during any given week we really wouldn't trust our money on. If someone thinks there are more than 5 games worth risking a "wager" on, then I want them to have the OPTION of doing so. If you or anybody else wants to just do 5, that's fine and you don't have any disadvantage in doing so. Any times you get screwed by only pickin' 5 when somebody else gets like 6 out of 7 right will be negated by the times they get 2 out of 7 right, or something similar.

This is based on PERCENTAGE, and I believe I said from the beginning that when we came up with a number of games to bet on, that this number would serve as a MINIMUM so ppl couldn't cop out and pick like 2 per week and win this thing goin' 26 out of 32 for the season.

I think we'd all agree it's easier to hit .300 when you only do it for 100 at bats. Sustained excellence is difficult and one could argue that the more games you pick the more accurate the result reflects your skill.

Having said all that, if 2 or 3 more ppl really feel strongly about this, then I'm willing to change to 5 mandatory. I won't believe it's right or the best thing to do, but everybody needs to enjoy the game and I'm willing to acquiesce to a strong majority.

I think we'd all agree it's easier to hit .300 when you only do it for 100 at bats. Sustained excellence is difficult and one could argue that the more games you pick the more accurate the result reflects your skill.

No doubt, and that's exactly why I think we should have a uniform system. If everyone is picking the same number of games, there isn't much that can be left to interpretation. If Guy A wins the group with a 75% success rate picking 60 games but there's Guy B with a 70% success rate picking 120 games, there isn't really a clear cut winner.

Everyone on the same playing field will lead to one true winner, imo.

No doubt, and that's exactly why I think we should have a uniform system. If everyone is picking the same number of games, there isn't much that can be left to interpretation. If Guy A wins the group with a 75% success rate picking 60 games but there's Guy B with a 70% success rate picking 120 games, there isn't really a clear cut winner.

Everyone on the same playing field will lead to one true winner, imo.

^That's fine then. If you guys feel strongly about it then we will have 5 mandatory games.

As far as my 6 picks during Week 3, there's no way to determine which one is fair for me to drop off of my score, since I chose them all as a group, simultaneously. So what I'll do is chose 4 games during one week before the end of the season so I'm in line with everyone else.