Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JMarlins

Clay Buchholz

Clay Buchholz allowed one run in seven innings and matched his season high with 11 strikeouts Saturday for Double-A Portland.

Buchholz has settled in as one of the game's best pitching prospects by opening this year with a 1.70 ERA. He's allowed 37 hits, walked 13 and struck out 80 in 58 1/3 innings. Depending on what happens with Jon Lester, the possibility exists that Buchholz could get a look from the Red Sox in the second half of the season.

--Rotoworld

If any of the Red Sox starting pitchers gets hurt he's going to be a must pickup in all formats-correct?

Don't you think they would try out Lester first and get Clay to triple A.

I'd be surprised if he were more than a September call up that gets a taste in relief action for this season. He hasn't pitched in AAA yet but I expect him to before the season is out. I can't expect that they would want to start up his service clock this year though. They have Lester and more than likely still have options remaining on Hansack, Gabbard and Snyder to work with. They also have Pineiro who could spot start.

As a Sox fan I eagerly anticipate this kid's arrival but I don't think it's happening this year. And frankly, I don't want him to be rushed a la DelCamren, Hansen and Meredith.

I'd be surprised if he were more than a September call up that gets a taste in relief action for this season. He hasn't pitched in AAA yet but I expect him to before the season is out. I can't expect that they would want to start up his service clock this year though. They have Lester and more than likely still have options remaining on Hansack, Gabbard and Snyder to work with. They also have Pineiro who could spot start.

As a Sox fan I eagerly anticipate this kid's arrival but I don't think it's happening this year. And frankly, I don't want him to be rushed a la DelCamren, Hansen and Meredith.

Except for the "Sox fan" part, I second everything Dewey says.

I think they Buchholz will start the season next year in the rotation with Schilling possibly leaving via FA and Wakefield likely to ponder retirement. With that they will only have Beckett, Dice-K and three empty spots with one likely to be filled thru the FA market. With at least one of those spots, Lester will certainly get one spot and the other will be decided through Buchholz (my pick), Hansack, or Gabbard.

Don't expect to see him this season as a starting pitcher but don't be surprised to see him out of the pen in September. The guy is the real deal though and he's got to have some of the best numbers in all of the minors. His K/BB is amazing.

In 2008 I can see numbers in his rookie season that come close to - 14-10, 3.44 ERA, 196 K - that's just me though.