Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Joe Paterno Fired! A Legacy Tarnished.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

View PostSkoodog, on 29 November 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

Not to get off topic, but are there any confirmed reports in the OU football program since the Bomar case?  I saw some things with the basketball program but nothing football related.  A little Longhorn animosity perhaps?  :)

Back OT, the subject matter of this inflammatory case (child molestation) makes everyone want to put someone on the altar for this, and it's always going to be the biggest name.  This man was essentially the face of not just Penn State but of Big Ten football - they were going to put his name on the new B1G Championship trophy and it was a lot more fitting than Stagg, whose team isn't even in the B1G.  And to imply that Paterno runs Penn State is just ridiculous.  His "coaching duties" have been little more than the University propping him up on the sidelines and having him babble incoherently at pep rallies for the past 15-20 years.  He's been an icon of the school but his power stops there.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a special hell for people like Sandusky and he'll get his in the end in prison, but I think it's a shame that we want to destroy all the careers of everyone involved with the program because of his transgressions because the crime was heinous and we think "more should have been done." The bigger shame is that oversigning (which directly affects the actual competition of the game via recruiting) is heavily supported by nearly every coach in the SEC, even though the practice is extremely unethical and has potentially ruined hundreds of talented athlete's futures.

OU has had problems in football and basketball.  My opinion is not exclusive to just their football program which has had multiple problems.  The Tiny Gallon/Taliaferro problems are consistent with the way that Sampson ran that basketball program.  Too Big to Fail is not exclusive to the banking industry.  It also applies to collegiate athletics.  Even the "big" sanctions against a school like USC are rather tame when you think about the level of hijinks going on.  Texas and Ohio State fall in the "Too Big to Fail" category as well, so I'm not claiming that Texas is above reproach.  They have their problems and some of them are pretty terrible (see Cleve Bryant), but they seemed to have conducted themselves a tad better historically then are neighbors to the North of the Red River.  I'll be the first person to call them out if they don't.....

Back on point.....Sandusky has been led away in handcuffs.  New charges pending.....

http://www.sportsgri...e-in-handcuffs/
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#62 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

RIP

#63 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hate to see it, although I thought there was a good likelihood that it could go this way.......RIP.  History will be much kinder to him than the current enviornment....

#64 Bravesfan155

Bravesfan155

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Such a tragic story. A great man who spent literally his entire adult life doing what he loved, and pushed aside like garbage for the universities failure. What really gets to me is seeing the ticker at the bottom of ESPN reporting his death and then Sandusky's comment on it immediately after. Joe Paterno was a great man and lived a life to be admired, Sandusky is a sick scum who doesn't deserve to be outside of a 4 by 4, let alone given a microphone to sound off on the passing of a great man. Those 2 people having nothing in common, and to let that imbred rapist talk about him as if he was one of his best pals...really got at me today. Bobby Bowden also needs to keep it shut.

Unfortunately, i think his legacy will be tarnished. This is a man who should be remembered as the best college football coach of all time, and instead he's going to be remembered by the lazy masses as "that coach who raped children". The media spent weeks talking about the scandal and how they didn't do enough, but he couldn't even get on ESPN the day of his death. The media needed a story, and stoked the fire for material. Had the story broke during the offseason when other things are going on, the story would've gotten 5 minutes on sportsnation and a kick in the ass on the way out.

I can't even imagine having enough passion for something to spend an entire lifetime doing it. But if i did, i certainly hope that at the end of it, i would be remembered for all the good i did as opposed to the mistakes of others. The fact that the story is about some idiot raping children instead of his lifetime work towards bettering the people around him and advancing the game of football is the real tragedy here.
forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=283533&st=20#entry2736207

forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=265147&st=500#entry2810860

#65 dodgerdog

dodgerdog

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Wow, they got nailed. I kind of like what the NCAA did in that the players can leave with no penalty, it discourages recruits and takes away bowls so that the program gets majorly hurt, but  it leaves gameday Saturdays so it doesn't devastate the community and ruin the local economy. The vacating of wins mean Joe Pa is no longer the winningest coach...ouch.

The NCAA cited lack of institutional control which, based on the Freeh report, seems like occurred. It is a tough gig I'm sure being a president at an institution where the coach is a living god as I don't know how you assert control over such a person and retain your job.

Edited by dodgerdog, 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#66 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Slammed.  The NCAA was strong and swift.  Penn State football won't rebound for this for at least a decade and probably won't ever regain the prominence it had during it's glory decades of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  I feel a bit bad for the current coaches, players and support staff that weren't a part of the disgusting lack of integrity that happened in previous decades, but they do have choices and that is good.  The current coaching staff took their positions knowing that they would most likely get crushed by sanctions and they did.  It's not SMU caliber but it had teeth.

As far as Paterno?  History will be kinder after time than the current environment but make not mistake that this will be the first thing that folks think about when they hear his name for the next few decades.  There's an old saying that says "we truly understand a man's nature in his worst hours" and if these are the tests we must face as men or women, then Paterno failed his biggest challenge in epic fashion.  His name will now by synonymous with the Sandusky scandal and it will be a stain that will fade but never truly go away, specifically for those that reside outside the state of Pennsylvania.  He could have acted; he should have acted; yet he didn't and we may never know if he didn't act out of cowardice or something much, much uglier.....Terrible situation all around and my hope is that the victims can overcome this tragedy to lead full and productive lives....

#67 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

As a Penn State alum, I gotta say I think the punishments are fair minus the wins being taken away. You can't take away something that happened already, just like the victims can't take away the fact that they were molested. Personally, I think even JoePa was a victim in some ways. No one should have to deal with this heinous crap, especially not an 86 year old man on his last few years of life.

#68 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Actually, a news report today made me kinda mad when I saw it.

I think everything that was done has been justified, but here is what got me mad about the news report.

without actually hearing what the commentators were saying (I was at the gym) the headline read; "Does JoePa's legacy deserve such a harsh punishment because he forget to follow up on an incident?"

Really?

Calling an employee to see why he's been calling in sick the past few days is an example of following up.

Checking in with a students grades who needed improvement is an example of following up.

Making sure your assistant coach get turned into the police for raping children isn't an example of following up.  That needs to be something done immediatly and without hesitation.
Demaryius Targaryen's Army - 12 Team .5 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Andrew Luck
RB-Matt Forte, Danny Woodhead, Darren Sproles, Steven Jackson, Andre Brown, Shane Vareen, Michael Bush, Chris Ivory
WR-Demaryius Thomas, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Reggie Wayne (IR)
TE-Greg Olsen
D-Cardinals (Stream)
K-Mason Crosby

Hernandez's Killer Offseason - 12 Team Standard Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Cam Newton, Nick Foles
RB-LeSean McCoy, Darren Sproles, DeAngelo Williams, Le'Veon Bell, Chris Ivory, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings
WR-DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Marvin Jones
TE-Martellus Bennett
D-Giants
K-Nick Novak

#69 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,019 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostHolben, on 23 July 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

Actually, a news report today made me kinda mad when I saw it.

I think everything that was done has been justified, but here is what got me mad about the news report.

without actually hearing what the commentators were saying (I was at the gym) the headline read; "Does JoePa's legacy deserve such a harsh punishment because he forget to follow up on an incident?"

Really?

Calling an employee to see why he's been calling in sick the past few days is an example of following up.

Checking in with a students grades who needed improvement is an example of following up.

Making sure your assistant coach get turned into the police for raping children isn't an example of following up.  That needs to be something done immediatly and without hesitation.

It's not just raping children (if that wasn't enough), but having it done under you nose while providing access is what is truly disturbing.  It happened in his locker room.  In his showers.  In his sanctum.  But he preferred not to think about what was happening or possibly happening while this monster prowled the weight room, the parking lots, the weight room, the hallways.  It's so troubling.....so, so troubling.