Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Statement Of Reassurance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 smoldering

smoldering

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Like many, I'm relieved to see the forums are back online. However, the lack of communication from anyone at rotoworld about the downtime is disconcerting. It would be nice if there could be a message placed somewhere that details why the forums went down (I've read elsewhere that they were hacked), and most importantly if our data was kept safe from hackers hands. I won't provide any outside links, in case its a violation of the forum, but a quick google search reveals that the hackers that took down the forums also claim to have obtained usernames and passwords. Obviously I'm not going to take a hacker at face value, but it would be nice to get statement of reassurance that our personal information was/is safe and the hacker never obtained access to it. On the other hand, if this assurance cannot be provided, it seems like rotoworld is doing a disservice to its users for not warning us about a potential security issue, especially if the email addresses associated with our accounts were also potentially obtained by the hacker (as many people use the same password for multiple different websites - which is of course a terrible practice but happens nonetheless).

I'm not sure if this is the best place to lodge this question/complaint, but hopefully someone who reads this can talk to the right people who could issue such a statement either within these forums or through emails to the addresses associated with our rotoworld accounts.

#2 Spike11

Spike11

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

bump, great question, read my mind.

#3 k.k.

k.k.

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I wouldn't have thought much about no communication from Rotoworld if the down time from the hack was a day or two, but it stretched on for quite a long time. That to me deserved some kind of message letting us know what was going on and about our personal info.

#4 Baseball Jonze

Baseball Jonze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

The boards seem to by dying. The forum switch seemed to lose a lot of folks and now the unexplained 2 week down time - not even anything mentioned on the rotoworld mainsite about why it was down and a time frame - you clicked on a forum link and it brought you to the NBC Sports main page without any explanation.
I don't care who is on your fantasy team.

#5 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,326 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

The boards seem to by dying. The forum switch seemed to lose a lot of folks and now the unexplained 2 week down time - not even anything mentioned on the rotoworld mainsite about why it was down and a time frame - you clicked on a forum link and it brought you to the NBC Sports main page without any explanation.

On any given evening (peak time), we average around 3,400 users online.

As of now, there are 3,000 online - and the board's only been back for three days.

As for assuaging everyone's fears: While admins are the ones who can confirm for sure, my understanding is that the sole intent of the hacker activity was to target and bring down as many NBCUniversal-owned sites (as well as others) as possible. It was definitely an algorithm-based attack that targeted multiple fronts, because it is impractical to think that even a few dozen people coordinating could bring down as many large domains as they did within such a short time span. I don't think there was any manual extraction of personal information; in fact, I don't think it was even looked at. Getting your e-mail is the best they can do, which isn't much - and I severely doubt it's come to that. Such is the worth of information stored in the database of a free forum.

I will pass along your concerns to an admin and attempt to get confirmation.

How can you not get romantic about baseball?

#6 smoldering

smoldering

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Harsh, I appreciate it!

#7 budman

budman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Harsh you eased my mind quite a bit since I was wondering the same thing.