Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_nemesis

Matt Laporta 2009

Is Laporta definitely making it to the bigs this year? What is the projected date? I wanna grab this guy in my one year league B)

From everything I’ve read it is likely he could get the call by June 1st. A couple of things need to happen IMO, Francisco needs to continue to suck and LaPorta need to continue to Mash. Also, perhaps it will be whether the Indians feel they will compete or not. I could see them moving Hafner at the deadline to a competitor and that would certainly open up a spot for LaPorta.

From everything I've read it is likely he could get the call by June 1st. A couple of things need to happen IMO, Francisco needs to continue to suck and LaPorta need to continue to Mash. Also, perhaps it will be whether the Indians feel they will compete or not. I could see them moving Hafner at the deadline to a competitor and that would certainly open up a spot for LaPorta.

I think the Indian's outlook on the 2009 season is the most important X-factor - if they feel they can go for the AL Central crown, he'll provide a much-needed power boost over Francisco, for sure.

From everything I've read it is likely he could get the call by June 1st. A couple of things need to happen IMO, Francisco needs to continue to suck and LaPorta need to continue to Mash. Also, perhaps it will be whether the Indians feel they will compete or not. I could see them moving Hafner at the deadline to a competitor and that would certainly open up a spot for LaPorta.

I think it will be hard to move Hafner to anyone with his ridiculous contract. He'll have to continue hitting for another couple of months for teams to even be interested. And if he is hitting well, do the they want to give him up? If they are competing, then no. If they aren't competing, I still think it will be hard to move Hafner because of his contract.

And Francisco is not the only one in LaPorta's way. David Delluci and his $4 Million contract are there too. Four mil may not seem like a lot, but it is to the owner and GM. Both players will have to play very poorly before LaPorta gets a shot.

That being said, I can't wait until he gets up to the show. I don't see him becoming into a productive fantasy player yet unless you are in a deeper league, but its still exciting.

Mash hit his 4th-HR of the year his current '09 line reads as follows;

.370/3-2B/4-HR/11-RBI (15-games)

Mash hit his 4th-HR of the year his current '09 line reads as follows;

.370/3-2B/4-HR/11-RBI (15-games)

3-3 tonight with a 1b/3b/HR and a BB Average up to .404 5 HR's 13 RBI's 3 2B's 2 3B's 6 BB's 5 K's.

I am getting this kid now where I can. Especailly in keeper leagues.

Per Rotoworld:

Indians placed designated hitter Travis Hafner on the 15-day disabled list with soreness in his right shoulder.

It's somewhat disconcerting that Hafner is reportedly headed for a visit with Dr. James Andrews, but manager Eric Wedge told MLB.com that "We don't think it's anything serious" and added, "Hopefully it's just a two-week thing." The Indians have called up Rich Rundles to take Hafner's place, but are expected to add a hitter prior to Friday's game. Possible options to join the team include David Dellucci (currently rehabbing in Columbus) and Matt LaPorta, who's hitting a scalding .368 at Triple-A.

Per Rotoworld:

Indians placed designated hitter Travis Hafner on the 15-day disabled list with soreness in his right shoulder.

It's somewhat disconcerting that Hafner is reportedly headed for a visit with Dr. James Andrews, but manager Eric Wedge told MLB.com that "We don't think it's anything serious" and added, "Hopefully it's just a two-week thing." The Indians have called up Rich Rundles to take Hafner's place, but are expected to add a hitter prior to Friday's game. Possible options to join the team include David Dellucci (currently rehabbing in Columbus) and Matt LaPorta, who's hitting a scalding .368 at Triple-A.

Let's go dammit...just added him in my roto league too.....

i own laporta but it would not suprise me to see them activate the ever avg. delluci instead...one of the things that bothers me is the blurb floating around quoting eric wedge saying something like yeah its great laporta is doing good but we have a core group of guys here that we are trying to work with and build with and he is young(24?) and still has a lot to learn in the minors....call me confused but it seems a good place to build a solid core around is a solid catcher(martinez) a solid center fielder(sizemore) an ace(lee?) and a masher in the middle(LAPORTA)....why would he not view laporta as one of his core group to build on? the guy is going to mash for the next 15 years why not get him started and see if he can't go all braun on the league?

i own laporta but it would not suprise me to see them activate the ever avg. delluci instead...

I agree with this. I seem them calling up Delucci as well..David Dellucci is nearing his return from a strained left calf muscle.

In six rehab games at Triple-A Columbus, Dellucci is 11-for-24 with a double, triple, two RBIs and seven runs scored. He's started one game in the outfield and the rest at designated hitter. Dellucci's rehab can last through May 10, but manager Eric Wedge said the veteran will probably be back before then.

If any Indians fans hear anything, updates would be appreciated. I sort of hope Dellucci gets the call, since I missed on LaPorta in a few leagues. If this turns out to be a false alarm, he'll get dropped again and I'll have a chance to get him later. This whole Hafner DL thing caught me off guard.

If any Indians fans hear anything, updates would be appreciated. I sort of hope Dellucci gets the call, since I missed on LaPorta in a few leagues. If this turns out to be a false alarm, he'll get dropped again and I'll have a chance to get him later. This whole Hafner DL thing caught me off guard.

If the Indians want to win, it's got to be LaPorta. He has been playing great so far this year which is a pleasant site after much of last year. I think LaPorta should get the call and stick if he plays well. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

If the Indians want to win, it's got to be LaPorta. He has been playing great so far this year which is a pleasant site after much of last year. I think LaPorta should get the call and stick if he plays well. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Geez...even if the Indians s*ck, bring him up, he is a large piece of the future.

Geez...even if the Indians s*ck, bring him up, he is a large piece of the future.

Do they stand to benefit financially if they leave him down there until June, like with the Orioles and Wieters? Super 2 and whatnot?

Do they stand to benefit financially if they leave him down there until June, like with the Orioles and Wieters? Super 2 and whatnot?

I was asking myself the same question, anyone know...?

I was asking myself the same question, anyone know...?

*Exact same situation service-time wise* - I'd expect Garko to get FT AB's, V-Mart goes DH a lot of the time and then mid-to-late May, the experiment ends if it isn't working out.

On the other hand, if CLE thinks they have a real shot to win the AL Central...they could call him up. Keep in mind that since Laporta doesn't have the same potential impact as Wieters (no other bat does), the money the Tribe would be saving is far less, albeit still substantial. Given the struggles he had last year, the Tribe FO could easily say they want to see sustained success before calling him up.

So I assume they'll be making a move some time before tomorrow's game (Friday), correct?

Yes, they can avoid Super-2 status, but it might cost them the playoffs, which would also cost them financially. Sometimes teams can shoot themselves in the foot. Last year the Twins kept Liriano down to avoid Super-2 status, and ended up missing the playoffs in a tiebreaker. Two years ago the Brewers kept down Braun for nearly two months and missed the playoffs by two games.

I can't say the teams cost themselves the playoffs, but I'm sure there is some regret and some thought that they did. Cleveland's in a similar situation right now. The AL Central is wide open, and an extra month of LaPorta COULD be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Yes, they can avoid Super-2 status, but it might cost them the playoffs, which would also cost them financially. Sometimes teams can shoot themselves in the foot. Last year the Twins kept Liriano down to avoid Super-2 status, and ended up missing the playoffs in a tiebreaker. Two years ago the Brewers kept down Braun for nearly two months and missed the playoffs by two games.

I can't say the teams cost themselves the playoffs, but I'm sure there is some regret and some thought that they did. Cleveland's in a similar situation right now. The AL Central is wide open, and an extra month of LaPorta COULD be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Liriano was coming off of TJ surgery, there was no Super 2 involved. he had already started 16 games the year before and appeared in 28

Liriano was coming off of TJ surgery, there was no Super 2 involved. he had already started 16 games the year before and appeared in 28

So very, very wrong. Liriano already had plenty of Major League service time, but how much earned this season was dictated by how much service time he got last year. Remember the Twins optioned him to the minors, so he spent several months NOT earning service time. Had he gotten about 3.5 months or service time, he would have been a Super 2 player. He finished last season with 2 years, 104 days of service time, i.e. safely short of Super-2 status. The Twins kept him down long after he was dominanting AAA (which started in June), even while they employed Livan "instant offense" Hernandez.

So very, very wrong. Liriano already had plenty of Major League service time, but how much earned this season was dictated by how much service time he got last year. Remember the Twins optioned him to the minors, so he spent several months NOT earning service time. Had he gotten about 3.5 months or service time, he would have been a Super 2 player. He finished last season with 2 years, 104 days of service time, i.e. safely short of Super-2 status. The Twins kept him down long after he was dominanting AAA (which started in June), even while they employed Livan "instant offense" Hernandez.

what are you talking about, it is a well known fact he had TJ surgery 2 years ago, after starting 16 games and dominating, had he not been injured he would have been starting the last 2 years in the majors not the minors. and it is almost pretty much an accepted fact that it takes close to 2 years to fully recover from surgery, so he missed all of 2007 and came back part way into 2008, which some thought was still a bit early and that he would struggle and we wouldn't see him come back to form till this year. so it is not unreasonable for the twins to have left him in the minors at the start of last season 1 year removed from a surgery that historically takes longer than 1 year to fully recover from

that they are able to save a year of arbitration for him is just frosting on top, to say that was the main motivation is a bit short sighted, considering the guy had been pitching since 2005 and had it not been for an injury in 2006 would have been well over his super 2 last year

i don't think anyone accused the cardinals of holding back Carpenter after TJ surgery, it is just part of the recovery time, the fact that liriano wanted to recover on the mlb roster is irrelevant, no team is going to let that happen when they don't have to, but make no mistake, if he wasn't hurt he would have been the majors not in the minors so the twins could save money

Is LaPorta getting called up today? Anyone know?

Is LaPorta getting called up today? Anyone know?

the gm of the indians was sleeping on it so we'll see odds are in favor of DD instead.... but wedge said multiple moves could come today so to me that means not just dellucci is getting activated....

what are you talking about, it is a well known fact he had TJ surgery 2 years ago, after starting 16 games and dominating, had he not been injured he would have been starting the last 2 years in the majors not the minors. and it is almost pretty much an accepted fact that it takes close to 2 years to fully recover from surgery, so he missed all of 2007 and came back part way into 2008, which some thought was still a bit early and that he would struggle and we wouldn't see him come back to form till this year. so it is not unreasonable for the twins to have left him in the minors at the start of last season 1 year removed from a surgery that historically takes longer than 1 year to fully recover from

that they are able to save a year of arbitration for him is just frosting on top, to say that was the main motivation is a bit short sighted, considering the guy had been pitching since 2005 and had it not been for an injury in 2006 would have been well over his super 2 last year

i don't think anyone accused the cardinals of holding back Carpenter after TJ surgery, it is just part of the recovery time, the fact that liriano wanted to recover on the mlb roster is irrelevant, no team is going to let that happen when they don't have to, but make no mistake, if he wasn't hurt he would have been the majors not in the minors so the twins could save money

I like you enthusiasm, but you numbers and statistics on the subject are just off. Most pitchers come back from Tommy John surgery in about 12 months. Josh Johnson, the guy on the Marlins who's currently tearing it up, came back last year about that time. BJ Ryan was the starting closer last season only 11 months removed from the surgery. It's typical for players to at least appear in games at that point.

However, the general timetable to regain 100% effectiveness is 18 months. So it often takes several months to get back into the groove. It can be less for relief pitchers, but there's still a bit of a learning curve there too. At the beginning of last season, Liriano was 17 months removed from surgery. So it wasn't unreasonable to see him pitching in games. As I stated above, Josh Johnson was doing it at 12 months post operation. In fact Liriano should have been close to 100%. The one ctach is that Liriano's recovery involved zero in-game action. Coming back midseason is easier because you canget into rehab games in the minors. Liriano could not do that.

For whatever reason, in spring training his control was terrible. The Twins sent him to the minors briefly, recalled him, and then watched him suck for a couple of starts before sending him back down. By May, Liriano had his control back (right around the magical 18 month mark), and by June he was dominanting hitters in AAA. At that point he should have been recalled. He looked ready, his timetable for recovery was right on schedule, and the Twins were not only employing the sucktastic Livan Hernandez in the rotation, but they were in a dogfight for the AL Central.

But the Twins did not recall Liriano. He continued to make great starts at AAA, while the Twins continued to watch Livan suck. Weeks went by and nothing happened. July rolled around and still no Liriano. It was getting ridiculous. But there was a reason for all the madness. If the Twins kept Liriano in the minors until the all-star break, they'd avoid Super-2 status on him. All of a sudden the weeks he spent dominanting in AAA began to make sense. It might have cost them a win here and there, but at least there was a plan.

It was no surprise then, that Liriano was called up shortly after the all-star break and Livan was finally sent out to pasture. The Twins had avoided the Super-2 issue and Liriano was "magically" ready to replace Livan. When they finished the season tied for the AL Central title, that extra time they gave Livan while keeping down Liriano might have cost them a playoff spot. But at least they saved a few bucks.

the gm of the indians was sleeping on it so we'll see odds are in favor of DD instead.... but wedge said multiple moves could come today so to me that means not just dellucci is getting activated....

if LaPorta gets the call, he'll play.