Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_nemesis

Matt Laporta 2009

Thoughts?

LaPorta is batting .368 with five homers and 14 RBI in 19 games at Columbus. His biggest competition for Hafner's roster spot after Rundles is sent back down to the minors is David Dellucci, who has been on the DL all season with a calf injury. Dellucci is on a minor league rehabilitation assignment at Triple-A Columbus, but clearly LaPorta has a brighter future and has waited patiently in the minors. If you have the room on your roster, consider taking a flier on LaPorta, who could be an impact rookie if he does get the call.

Already on my roster in the dynasty league.

does he have any speed? I read they will prolly bring him up around june.

if anyone has seen him play who would you compare him too? thanks

The Indians beat reporter for MLB.com, Anthony Castrovince, said he's pretty sure Delucci gets the call instead of LaPorta.

"If I had to guess (and I don't, really, but at least it makes good blog fodder if I do), I'd say David Dellucci replaces Travis Hafner/Rich Rundles in a straight swap before Friday's game. Dellucci was going to be back by the middle of next week anyway, and the Indians are facing three right-handed starters in Motown.

I doubt it's going to be Matt LaPorta. I could be wrong, but I'm just not getting a LaPorta vibe around here."

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/

I like you enthusiasm, but you numbers and statistics on the subject are just off. Most pitchers come back from Tommy John surgery in about 12 months. Josh Johnson, the guy on the Marlins who's currently tearing it up, came back last year about that time. BJ Ryan was the starting closer last season only 11 months removed from the surgery. It's typical for players to at least appear in games at that point.

However, the general timetable to regain 100% effectiveness is 18 months. So it often takes several months to get back into the groove. It can be less for relief pitchers, but there's still a bit of a learning curve there too. At the beginning of last season, Liriano was 17 months removed from surgery. So it wasn't unreasonable to see him pitching in games. As I stated above, Josh Johnson was doing it at 12 months post operation. In fact Liriano should have been close to 100%. The one ctach is that Liriano's recovery involved zero in-game action. Coming back midseason is easier because you canget into rehab games in the minors. Liriano could not do that.

For whatever reason, in spring training his control was terrible. The Twins sent him to the minors briefly, recalled him, and then watched him suck for a couple of starts before sending him back down. By May, Liriano had his control back (right around the magical 18 month mark), and by June he was dominanting hitters in AAA. At that point he should have been recalled. He looked ready, his timetable for recovery was right on schedule, and the Twins were not only employing the sucktastic Livan Hernandez in the rotation, but they were in a dogfight for the AL Central.

But the Twins did not recall Liriano. He continued to make great starts at AAA, while the Twins continued to watch Livan suck. Weeks went by and nothing happened. July rolled around and still no Liriano. It was getting ridiculous. But there was a reason for all the madness. If the Twins kept Liriano in the minors until the all-star break, they'd avoid Super-2 status on him. All of a sudden the weeks he spent dominanting in AAA began to make sense. It might have cost them a win here and there, but at least there was a plan.

It was no surprise then, that Liriano was called up shortly after the all-star break and Livan was finally sent out to pasture. The Twins had avoided the Super-2 issue and Liriano was "magically" ready to replace Livan. When they finished the season tied for the AL Central title, that extra time they gave Livan while keeping down Liriano might have cost them a playoff spot. But at least they saved a few bucks.

you said it yourself, he started the season wild with no control, so he was sent to the minors, he got recalled and stunk in the majors, so they send him back down again, can you really blame them for keeping him there a little longer the second time around, given his surgery and ineffectiveness earlier in the year, he is suppose to be their stud, they took their time. what is good for fantasy baseball is not always what is good for the player and the team. obviously the twins kept him there a few extra days to avoid Super 2 since he was so close, but as you say, he had every opportunity to start the season in the majors but he stunk, then he got recalled, and still stunk, by the time he got it all back together he was already close to super 2, so why shouldn't the team keep him there for the extra time, but i'd give them the benifit of the doubt that it was their intention to begin with at the start of the season, given his past performance and the fact that he was already recalled once.

The Indians beat reporter for MLB.com, Anthony Castrovince, said he's pretty sure Delucci gets the call instead of LaPorta.

"If I had to guess (and I don't, really, but at least it makes good blog fodder if I do), I'd say David Dellucci replaces Travis Hafner/Rich Rundles in a straight swap before Friday's game. Dellucci was going to be back by the middle of next week anyway, and the Indians are facing three right-handed starters in Motown.

I doubt it's going to be Matt LaPorta. I could be wrong, but I'm just not getting a LaPorta vibe around here."

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/

If true what a horrible organization cleveland is...not to mention stupid

If true what a horrible organization cleveland is...not to mention stupid

can't blame them if they determine they aren't going to contend this year, what's the point of throwing away money they don't have to, it isn't good for fantasy baseball but is a good move for the organization, especially one that isn't in a big market

don't you wait for sales and promotions to buy things when you have the option to wait?

can't blame them if they determine they aren't going to contend this year, what's the point of throwing away money they don't have to, it isn't good for fantasy baseball but is a good move for the organization, especially one that isn't in a big market

don't you wait for sales and promotions to buy things when you have the option to wait?

Its a stupid way of doing business sure you will have to pay him maybe sooner than expected not sure though, but isnt it all about putting the best product out there for your team to compete? Ben Franisco? come on!!! Not saying this guy is a game changer yet but who knows maybe he could propel them into the playoffs etc? Increase ticket sales etc also having his jersey out there would increase revenue for this team

Its a stupid way of doing business sure you will have to pay him maybe sooner than expected not sure though, but isnt it all about putting the best product out there for your team to compete? Ben Franisco? come on!!! Not saying this guy is a game changer yet but who knows maybe he could propel them into the playoffs etc? Increase ticket sales etc also having his jersey out there would increase revenue for this team

it is not stupid, it is smart business, like i said it sucks for us fantasy owners but for the actual teama it is a good deal

the point is, if they are considering this a throw away season, and don't think they have a shot at the playoffs, then why bring him up early, they will bring him up, but after the deadline, it is simple math

gain 1 additional year in exchange for a few weeks of service. and when the team isn't contending the decision is really easy. there is reason to bring him up early, sure it may mean a few more wins, but those few wins aren't taking them to postseason so what's the point? 70 wins vs. 75 wins makes no difference if they aren't going to make the playoffs.

i don't follow Indians baseball so i won't pretend to know whether they have a shot at contending this year or not but as a general rule of thumb there is nothing wrong with keeping a guy down in the minors a few extra weeks if you aren't going to be contending for post season. that is smart business

If Matty was on a big market team that was not afraid to spend money he would have been up to start the year. I'd give the Indians whatever they want for LaPorta so he could join the Mets.

Is it possible they bring up LaPorta and Dellucci?

Is it possible they bring up LaPorta and Dellucci?

I think they can only bring up one player right now, they already brought up Rundles for Hafner (I believe). Really think Dellucci gets the call.

I think they can only bring up one player right now, they already brought up Rundles for Hafner (I believe). Really think Dellucci gets the call.

I'm thinking if LaPorta was being called up the news would already be out.

'tis official:

DETROIT -- Manager Eric Wedge said he'd consider all available position players on the Triple-A Columbus roster to replace injured designated hitter Travis Hafner.

In the end, the Indians passed on hot-hitting prospects Matt LaPorta and Luis Valbuena and went with a veteran choice Friday, pulling outfielder David Dellucci out of his rehab assignment a few days earlier than originally anticipated.

Dellucci, recovered from a left calf strain he suffered near the end of Spring Training camp, assumes the roster spot that left-handed reliever Rich Rundles temporarily held. Rundles, who was optioned back to Columbus, had been called up Wednesday, when Pronk landed on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right shoulder.

So while the 14-man pitching staff was short-lived, the Indians are still carrying a bloated bullpen, eight men deep.

Dellucci's presence gives Wedge a left-handed DH option, as well as another candidate to spell Ben Francisco in left field. In seven games with Columbus, Dellucci, who is in the final year of a three-year, $11.5 million contract, hit .414 (12-for-29) with a double, a triple, two stolen bases, three walks and two RBIs. He played two games in the outfield and the rest at DH.

The Indians hope to have Hafner back within a couple weeks. His surgically repaired shoulder began giving him problems again earlier this week. He will visit Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., early next week.

'tis official:

DETROIT -- Manager Eric Wedge said he'd consider all available position players on the Triple-A Columbus roster to replace injured designated hitter Travis Hafner.

In the end, the Indians passed on hot-hitting prospects Matt LaPorta and Luis Valbuena and went with a veteran choice Friday, pulling outfielder David Dellucci out of his rehab assignment a few days earlier than originally anticipated.

Dellucci, recovered from a left calf strain he suffered near the end of Spring Training camp, assumes the roster spot that left-handed reliever Rich Rundles temporarily held. Rundles, who was optioned back to Columbus, had been called up Wednesday, when Pronk landed on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right shoulder.

So while the 14-man pitching staff was short-lived, the Indians are still carrying a bloated bullpen, eight men deep.

Dellucci's presence gives Wedge a left-handed DH option, as well as another candidate to spell Ben Francisco in left field. In seven games with Columbus, Dellucci, who is in the final year of a three-year, $11.5 million contract, hit .414 (12-for-29) with a double, a triple, two stolen bases, three walks and two RBIs. He played two games in the outfield and the rest at DH.

The Indians hope to have Hafner back within a couple weeks. His surgically repaired shoulder began giving him problems again earlier this week. He will visit Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., early next week.

Thanks for this. Guess I'm rolling Jeff Frenchy out there for another few weeks. Darn.

the indians are patting themselves on the back tonight with the choice of DD 4 for 5.....and a w to show for it...

The Indians plan to call up Matt LaPorta, Luis Valbuena and Josh Barfield prior to Saturday's game.

Trevor Crowe and Tony Graffanino will be exiled, while reliever Joe Smith (shoulder) will be placed on the DL. Manager Eric Wedge supposedly said LaPorta would serve "as a complement to David Dellucci," which is a complete joke if he really meant it. Calling up Valbuena to serve as a backup for three regulars who won't sit very often is a ridiculous move -- it makes much more sense for him to play regularly in Triple-A -- but LaPorta will be of immediate use with Hafner on the disabled list. Still, Wedge has to be trusted to use him correctly and we have less faith in him by the day.

May. 1 - 11:47 pm et

Source: MLBlogs.com

The Indians plan to call up Matt LaPorta, Luis Valbuena and Josh Barfield prior to Saturday's game.

Trevor Crowe and Tony Graffanino will be exiled, while reliever Joe Smith (shoulder) will be placed on the DL. Manager Eric Wedge supposedly said LaPorta would serve "as a complement to David Dellucci," which is a complete joke if he really meant it. Calling up Valbuena to serve as a backup for three regulars who won't sit very often is a ridiculous move -- it makes much more sense for him to play regularly in Triple-A -- but LaPorta will be of immediate use with Hafner on the disabled list. Still, Wedge has to be trusted to use him correctly and we have less faith in him by the day.

May. 1 - 11:47 pm et

Source: MLBlogs.com

It's MASH LAPORTA TIME!!! Even if it's only part-time.

Anyone see LaPorta getting a call back to Cleveland in the near future? He has been hitting very well in Columbus the last few weeks. Chances he's called up by Aug. 1st 50/50 at best? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

They have him working out at 1st base. I think that's where they want him.

They have him working out at 1st base. I think that's where they want him.

V-Mart must be in their plans as a Catcher for at least a couple years if they're making that move. Bad news for Garko and Shoppach.

V-Mart must be in their plans as a Catcher for at least a couple years if they're making that move. Bad news for Garko and Shoppach.

I actually think this clears a path to trade VMart for so e building blocks and also open the door for uber prospect Carlos Santana.

Yes bad news for Garko and Shoppach indead. But this is probably good news for Carlos Santana. The way I see it is that VMart and Santana will both carry C eligability yet they will play nearly every day by rotating between catching and 1B and the occassional DH. Wouldn't that be great?

With the Garko trade, it would be nice to see Mash get the call. However, I assume they will go with Marte, so LaPorta will get passed over yet again.