Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redefine9d

Just drafted in Roto...WHIR

I've always done H2H and Points leagues, however, just decided to do my first roto league. Not really sure how I did, but could use some help on players I should target, get rid of, keep, etc. I know my first glaring weakness is obviously saves, as well as speed. I am targeting Crawford, Matt Capps, and maybe a few others guys but could definitely use your opinions on my team and how I can improve it.

C Sandoval

1B C. Davis

2B A. Ramirez

SS Jeter

3B M. Cabrera

OF Quentin

OF Markakis

OF Victorino

Util Bruce

SP Lincecum

SP Liriano

SP Shields

RP Wood

RP Gonzalez

RP Sherrill

SP Cain

SP Kershaw

RP Kuo

SP Harang

SP Baker

SP Carmona

SP Jimenez

SP Maholm

Looks good to me.

Do you have an innings pitched limit? If so, I think you are way long on SPs. Example: my league only has 1250 IP, so 4-5 SP is usually sufficient.

You're right -- another closer would be good.

You're correct. Speed is an area of concern, with Victorino as your main steals guy. Though Markakis should chip in some, as will Jeter. Power looks OK.

As for pitching...yeah, you're very deep there. I'd dump a couple of those pitchers for bargain speed. I hope that Baker is Scott Baker. If so, leave him on your team. I'd look at dumping Ubaldo and Maholm for bench batters.

I think you need some speed and saves too. You have to remember in Roto, you can't punt a category and expect to win. You don't need to be the best in any category, but you need to be competitive in every category. I am not sure how many teams are in your league, but if it is 12, look to have about 100-120 steals for the year. Maybe you can make a smallish deal for a guy like Pierre. Think cheap to start. Maybe even Coco Crisp. He should be good for 30 if he is healthy. You need to manage your bench right too. I am sure you have a Max games limit at each position. Be smart about who you are playing. Don't just fill your lineup everyday, because you'll reach your max very early. Good Luck.

Somebody already asked, but it really would help to know if you have an IP limit. Even without one, you should be looking to trade a starting pitcher for more speed and/or another closer.

I understand the idea of stockpiling pitchers in some formats (daily moves with no IP limit, for example), but you are leaving yourself very vulnerable with no bats on your bench at all. Are there any infielders at all on the wire with speed? Maybe somebody like Alexi Casilla or Felipe Lopez, who might sneak through in some formats?

Please help with mine?

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=121966

I recognize this roster, definitely built for weekly H2H.

As others have stated, the pitching depth is overkill for roto, especially with the IP limits.

With the pitching depth, some other team has got to be bat/bag heavy and in need of arms. Jiminez and Maholm won't fetch anything, but Harang would definitely get a pitching-starved owner's attention.

Gotta go with the pack here. Solid lineup, but you could definately use and upgrade in steals and saves. Kershaw is a hot name right now, but is still unproven and really only helps in Ks. You should be able to get a nice mid-tier closer straight up for him strictly on his potential.

For the steals, I would set my sites a little lower than Crawford. You'll have to give up alot to get him, and with his declining numbers he's hardly worth a guy like Markakis or ARam. A guy like Rios or Ellsbury would get you almost equivalent production with an emphasis on steals at a much lower price. Or you could just grab a Bourn or Gomez or Taveras off the waiver wire and use them as your off day fill in, which is the cheapest way to rack up stolen bases. You're already competetive with Jeter, Markakis, and Victorino. Like Yawkey said, you don't have to win every category, you just have to be competetive.

Good luck. Thanks for the help with mine.