Sign in to follow this  
The Czar

Making this board the best it can be.

this is true, we have guys who post after every single HR a guy hits and ill admit it i am one of them with Adam Jones

You can use the forum as a stat tracker on most nights. B)

If your player's thread is at the top, it usually means he went Bombsauce

In addition to "he sucks" posts, I can also do without the "BABIP is .360" or "White Sox" posts in response to a pitcher's performance. You guys know who you are.

The funny thing is that there's actually something to discuss there, but by making such a brief post you don't really appear to want to discuss anything. You're just trying to be snide and/or argumentative. It's also laziness. But by fleshing out your post some, you could really open up the lines of discussion. To whit:

Instead of

"White Sox."

you could post

"The White Sox tend to have problems against that type of pitcher. Guys who throw strikes and don't walk anyone cause them problems, for reasons X Y and Z."

We may disagree a LOT on the Cubs (Everyone has a least favorite team, and I don't know why, but the Cubs are mine), but your info for Cubs players, pitchers/other teams in Wrigley, etc. is invaluable here.

There are some posters that live and die by their teams (I live and die by Boston in general), and you're always one of the go-to guys for Cubs info along with MT and z06 (Cubs fan IIRC?)

Well thanks, I do appreciate that. I try and give updates because I watch them all the time....heck, I had to create an Angel Guzman thread because he was about the only positive thing the Cubs had going for awhile.

In addition to "he sucks" posts, I can also do without the "BABIP is .360" or "White Sox" posts in response to a pitcher's performance. You guys know who you are.

The funny thing is that there's actually something to discuss there, but by making such a brief post you don't really appear to want to discuss anything. You're just trying to be snide and/or argumentative. It's also laziness. But by fleshing out your post some, you could really open up the lines of discussion. To whit:

Instead of

"White Sox."

you could post

"The White Sox tend to have problems against that type of pitcher. Guys who throw strikes and don't walk anyone cause them problems, for reasons X Y and Z."

Agreed.

Instead of just saying "BJ Upton stinks" , I now say "BJ Upton is a steaming pile of worthless dung" which I think is more effective.

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya

O Lord, kumbaya

You can use the forum as a stat tracker on most nights. :)

If your player's thread is at the top, it usually means he went Bombsauce

lol bombsauce...nice

but yeah i'm pretty much one of the biggest culprits of this...probably though because my teams are just so damn fantastic? :lol:

but no i agree its cool to come into a superthread and say the player is due for a regression BECAUSE ________ . but for instance an unamed poster came into the matt kemp thread and simply posted Ethier >>> Kemp. thats just not cool. the only purpose of such a comment is to rile up every matt kemp fan (which is probably the whole superthread). its fine to say that and give detailed explanation or actual reasons WHY u think such. i'm cool with the latter.

also where's kevin slevera at? B)

lol bombsauce...nice

but yeah i'm pretty much one of the biggest culprits of this...probably though because my teams are just so damn fantastic? :)

but no i agree its cool to come into a superthread and say the player is due for a regression BECAUSE ________ . but for instance an unamed poster came into the matt kemp thread and simply posted Ethier >>> Kemp. thats just not cool. the only purpose of such a comment is to rile up every matt kemp fan (which is probably the whole superthread). its fine to say that and give detailed explanation or actual reasons WHY u think such. i'm cool with the latter.

also where's kevin slevera at? B)

i think i might have a idea of this annonymous poster you are refering to haha

Just my two cents, but I still get a lot out of this message board. If I was to pinpoint a problem, it'd be that the board has become more for a chat forum than a discussion forum. However, this is a trend that I've noticed over several sites as the internet has become available to just about everyone at any time and any where.

I think taking away the number of posts under the user's profile would cut down on some of the chatter and give people less of an incentive to pad. Just an idea.

take a look at the Red Sox forum Sons of Sam Horn..they pretty much have a lenghty process before you can be accepted, not anyone can just join

Agreed.

I posted:

Kemp > Ethier - Manny

which is a more functional equation and speaks volumes

This has probably been said already, but my main problem with the board is that there's too many useless posts. I think people just post for the heck of it...or to raise their post counts. This is really annoying because I don't have all the time in the world to just read through conversations...Lately I've just been skimming through threads ready only selected posts...I just don't have the time to read a bunch of posts like, "I'm dropping this guy" or "I HATE YOU!!!"....

I've been trying to contribute my best to this board by sharing any insights I have and cutting out all "garbage posts" that aren't helpful/insightful...I think if everyone sincerely tried to do this then this board would be unbeatable.

Good call Czar. I agree wholeheartedly with the original post, and plenty of what has been said after. However, I think there are a few more points to call out.

- The first is the Rotoworld rankings. There are plenty of posters out there who post one liners, or one word responses just to pump up their status. This is never gonna go away, and I really don't have a problem with it, but it can and should be done more positively, and should not be done in an antagonizing way. (+1 Kid22!)

- Sometimes, someone gets it exactly right. I've done this a few times myself, were I'm reading a thread, and see a legit, smart, correct imo response, and don't feel like I have anything to add to it beyond what was already said. So my response is... "+1". Now, when the post someone agrees with is negative, their "+1" may be "Player X sucks". Its tough to filter this out, and it is discouraging as this is a community, but sometimes we need to understand that not all posters have the writing skills, patience, or demeanor to dictate their exact feelings without coming off as a jerk.

- Many of the posters in these forums are younger people. I was an aggressive a$$ho#% high school, but have mellowed in my 30s. Kids will be kids. What can I say.

Now I am not here to argue. I just want to say that this is a community, and should be treated as such by its members. The whole point of this community is to SHARE information, and opinions on said information. We are here to HELP each other out, not tear each other down. As fantasy players, we have an opportunity to better ourselves by coming here and purusing information that many of our oppenents don't have access to (or at least dont know where to find it). We come here because we take fantasy sports seriously, and would like a certain level of maturity and respect. And we come here to share what we know, to advance our sports knowledge, and to give back to the COMMUNITY that has given so much to us. I know that not everything said will, or should, be positive. But negative things can be said in a contructive or non-aggressive light. But remember folks, its ok NOT to post too, and my mom told me something as a child that I think still holds water today... if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all (I'm talking about the personal attacks, not about player preformance obviously).

And we should respect the game we use to play our game, and the players who play that game. The worst guy on a major league roster is better than 99% of us in here, and they do the best they can with what god gave them. Perspective fellas. It's the key to a balanced life.

Edited by WestCoastMets

I think people aren't necessarily negative on this board. I know when I've come across it, it is because someone disagrees. I'm sorry, but this isn't pre-school. You see guys getting "offended" and in a huff-and-puff left and right over nothing.

I'm not advocating a "tough skin" approach, but what I am saying is I think people need to be reasonable and have their minds open. In my experience, when I go post on a thread under a certain player, and I don't think he's all that great, I'm going to state so. I've noticed more so than not, users refer to these people as "trolls" and I think that's extremely childish and immature.

The thing is when people express their opinions, it's sometimes not good enough for others. I do not believe anybody has to explain their views on any players. While it's nice, it's not a necessity. We are not experts here. I can include as many facts and figures as I want, but I'm not going to force others to do so because even with all the facts and figures, if all of us really knew our baseball, then we'd all be perfect in our fantasy leagues.

So if a guy, for example, posts in a player's thread and simply states, "he sucks," I wouldn't go on crucifying him. If no reasons are posted, then it's up to you as a user to filter through what you see is constructive and what you see as not. There's no need to post, "troll" or "you mind giving me a reason?" If they wanted to do so, they would've. A terse response would seemingly indicate an opinion. It's not like these users are telling other users what to post, which I think is the greater offense.

probably the best post of the thread

and, funny thing, someone started to argue just like University predicted

There are a hand full of members that are here just to BS around I'm not going to name names but I'm sure everyone here knows them. While there are some newbies around that do ask what some consider to be a "dumb" question and some people seem to have a problem with this. We all have to remember we were there at one point when we didn't know jack about fantasy sports. As long as these guys are here learn about fantasy sports and and baseball in general we should help them out not just post simply lol or just some smart a** comment. As for the posters that I mentioned before that are here just to BS around. If they don't violate the CoC sadly there is nothing the mods can't do anything about it even if it is a insensitive comment. Some of the veteran posters have left this forums that do have a lot of great things to say because of these trolls. I can say that this forum was great at one time and still has a lot of potential with many members that do know a hell of a lot about the sport. I wish I had a solution but I guess all I can say is that we all need to grow up and there are times to joke around and there are times not to. If we all just at least tried to make our posts more thoughtful we could bring this board back to the promise land.

Also as well I think we all need to put our homer hats to the side or at least understand that our team isn't the end all sports team and the players on these teams do have flaws.

Edited by Gary

Have you even been reading this thread? We're trying to improve the forum. Part of that is not getting into arguments with people. That's why I chose to quote anonymously.

But you're not the only person who makes that sort of post, so I didn't want to single you out.

Still, is a two word post that says "White Sox" really expressing an opinion? I don't even know what that opinion is.

Peace be the journey fellas. I'm not sure what White Sox means as an opinion either, but I think the inference is obvious. It means he thinks the White Sox sucks. How that applies to previous posts I don't know, but its an opinion non-the-less and should be taken as such. Some may not agree with the post, or how it was stated, but c'est la vie. The person who posted that may be saying the same thing about what we think are amazing, insightful posts.

We play this game because we are emotionally involved. If we didn't love it, we wouldn't play. But we need to control our emotions, and understand that we are playing a game within a game, and not take things personally when people disagree with you. One of the main problems that I continuously see is that when two posters disagree, they feel that they must win the arguement and convince the other poster to see things there way. It rarely if ever works that way, and we need be ok with the fact that not everyone is going to agree with us.

The whole point of this thread is that we need to stop arguing and start debating. We worry too much about semantics sometimes.

There are a hand full of members that are here just to BS around I'm not going to name names but I'm sure everyone here knows them. While there are some newbies around that do ask what some consider to be a "dumb" question and some people seem to have a problem with this. We all have to remember we were there at one point when we didn't know jack about fantasy sports. As long as these guys are here learn about fantasy sports and and baseball in general we should help them out not just post simply lol or just some smart a** comment. As for the posters that I mentioned before that are here just to BS around. If they don't violate the CoC sadly there is nothing the mods can't do anything about it even if it is a insensitive comment. Some of the veteran posters have left this forums that do have a lot of great things to say because of these trolls. I can say that this forum was great at one time and still has a lot of potential with many members that do know a hell of a lot about the sport. I wish I had a solution but I guess all I can say is that we all need to grow up and there are times to joke around and there are times not to. If we all just at least tried to make our posts more thoughtful we could bring this board back to the promise land.

Also as well I think we all need to put our homer hats to the side or at least understand that our team isn't the end all sports team and the players on these teams do have flaws.

100% agreed. Except the last line. David Wright has no flaws.

B) Totally kidding, of course.

I come to rotoworld everyday, its not reflected in my post count but I would just like to use this as an opportunity to thank posters like Czar and Marlins (love the ubaldo stuff B)) that continuously provide good insight.

I agree with the basic premise from Buffalo that people should be able to post what they want. However, like Czar pointed out, I have noticed a higher frequency of crap and if quality posters do leave, I can see myself coming less and less to these forums.

Unless of course I want to check out the bench coach forum and see if adding Johan with my #8 waiver priority is worth it.

Hugs and Kisses

See, here's what I miss:

When I started on here, things were getting a little too off-topic, and there was often a series of posts that had little or nothing to do with the thread. And it sidetracked things, but it was fun. I understand the need to clean up posts and get the topics back in order, but I really like the freewheeling aspects of threads. The snarky comments (not mean-spirited ones), the little jokes and references that I don't see anymore. I love that stuff. Pepper the analysis with some good-natured miscellany.

I know there are threads for that, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not as fun if it's sanctioned. Maybe I have to suck it up and talk baseball.

See, here's what I miss:

When I started on here, things were getting a little too off-topic, and there was often a series of posts that had little or nothing to do with the thread. And it sidetracked things, but it was fun. I understand the need to clean up posts and get the topics back in order, but I really like the freewheeling aspects of threads. The snarky comments (not mean-spirited ones), the little jokes and references that I don't see anymore. I love that stuff. Pepper the analysis with some good-natured miscellany.

I know there are threads for that, but I'll be the first to admit that it's not as fun if it's sanctioned. Maybe I have to suck it up and talk baseball.

Solid post. And to piggy-back on it... many times, posters dont read the entire thread. They read only the last post, or maybe the last page, when the debate has already digressed into a pissing contest. I feel bad for the mods many times as they are obviously outnumbered, but yes, humorous jabs have their place imo. Sometimes the best difuser of a digressing situation is an injection of humer.

I've done my fair share of one-liners, simply because it's too late and I'm and too lazy to go that in depth to it. And like I said, isn't that what makes the one who DO post information special? My point is that it's going to be pretty hard to "clean up" this boards considering it is a message board where people can do as they please (for the most part.)

Like I stated in my first post, if someone A- doesn't care or B- Doesn't know enough information, it's going to be tough to get these people to start posting with some real insight. Maybe some people can't get the information that everyone wants, and would like to post something.

Thanks to those of you that have remained positive and constructive in this discussion.

I'm more concerned with the snarky comments that have caused members to leave or to no longer post in-depth analysis.

I used to like when threads would derail and guys tried to be funny. There was a nice core of posters here about a year and a half ago and many have left that used to have a really good time not only talking baseball but also derailed their fair share of threads. I kind of miss that. I'm not really referring to that.

Like I said, my goal is to try and make this board the best it can be. I've already gotten a few PM's from guys that said they have been guilty of this and hope to clean it up and that leads me to believe that this thread was a good thing.

I also agree with the poster that brought up the group think idea. I agree. I just want guys to explain themselves when they are overly critical of a player and explain why. I'm critical of players as well, but usually offer very in-depth reasoning. I have Kevin Slowey on several teams, but if you read his thread, you can see that I was very critcal of the ridiculous projections I was seeing. I'm the first to admit I was very wrong on Ryan Zimmerman, but the numbers at that time didn't point to a ridiculous breakout. Also critical of Brandon Wood, Alex Gordon, etc. etc. I also don't want group think, but let's keep it civil and to the players and their merits, not the posters. I was also called a few things in those threads and I think the analysis was sound and for the most part right on. When players have flaws point them out. It helps ALL of us. That is the whole point of this board. It's a community, but when guys leave or get locked, and yes, good posters have been locked as well, it helps nobody.

Anyway, keep this discussion positive and on topic please.

Edited by The Czar

Good call Czar. I agree wholeheartedly with the original post, and plenty of what has been said after. However, I think there are a few more points to call out.

- The first is the Rotoworld rankings. There are plenty of posters out there who post one liners, or one word responses just to pump up their status. This is never gonna go away, and I really don't have a problem with it, but it can and should be done more positively, and should not be done in an antagonizing way. (+1 Kid22!)

- Sometimes, someone gets it exactly right. I've done this a few times myself, were I'm reading a thread, and see a legit, smart, correct imo response, and don't feel like I have anything to add to it beyond what was already said. So my response is... "+1". Now, when the post someone agrees with is negative, their "+1" may be "Player X sucks". Its tough to filter this out, and it is discouraging as this is a community, but sometimes we need to understand that not all posters have the writing skills, patience, or demeanor to dictate their exact feelings without coming off as a jerk.

- Many of the posters in these forums are younger people. I was an aggressive a$ho#% high school, but have mellowed in my 30s. Kids will be kids. What can I say.

Now I am not here to argue. I just want to say that this is a community, and should be treated as such by its members. The whole point of this community is to SHARE information, and opinions on said information. We are here to HELP each other out, not tear each other down. As fantasy players, we have an opportunity to better ourselves by coming here and purusing information that many of our oppenents don't have access to (or at least dont know where to find it). We come here because we take fantasy sports seriously, and would like a certain level of maturity and respect. And we come here to share what we know, to advance our sports knowledge, and to give back to the COMMUNITY that has given so much to us. I know that not everything said will, or should, be positive. But negative things can be said in a contructive or non-aggressive light. But remember folks, its ok NOT to post too, and my mom told me something as a child that I think still holds water today... if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all (I'm talking about the personal attacks, not about player preformance obviously).

And we should respect the game we use to play our game, and the players who play that game. The worst guy on a major league roster is better than 99% of us in here, and they do the best they can with what god gave them. Perspective fellas. It's the key to a balanced life.

I think the age thing hits it on the head...

On a side note, can you youngins stop using the word "retarded". Just a request.

Edited by daybubet

Thanks to those of you that have remained positive and constructive in this discussion.

I'm more concerned with the snarky comments that have caused members to leave or to no longer post in-depth analysis.

I used to like when threads would derail and guys tried to be funny. There was a nice core of posters here about a year and a half ago and many have left that used to have a really good time not only talking baseball but also derailed their fair share of threads. I kind of miss that. I'm not really referring to that.

Like I said, my goal is to try and make this board the best it can be. I've already gotten a few PM's from guys that said they have been guilty of this and hope to clean it up and that leads me to believe that this thread was a good thing.

I also agree with the poster that brought up the group think idea. I agree. I just want guys to explain themselves when they are overly critical of a player and explain why. I'm critical of players as well, but usually offer very in-depth reasoning. I have Kevin Slowey on several teams, but if you read his thread, you can see that I was very critcal of the ridiculous projections I was seeing. I'm the first to admit I was very wrong on Ryan Zimmerman, but the numbers at that time didn't point to a ridiculous breakout. Also critical of Brandon Wood, Alex Gordon, etc. etc. I also don't want group think, but let's keep it civil and to the players and their merits, not the posters. I was also called a few things in those threads and I think the analysis was sound and for the most part right on. When players have flaws point them out. It helps ALL of us. That is the whole point of this board. It's a community, but when guys leave or get locked, and yes, good posters have been locked as well, it helps nobody.

Anyway, keep this discussion positive and on topic please.

Good call Czar...

I have noticed a lot of veteran posters disappear...its a shame too. This forum has helped me greatly over the years....I didn't even know who Dustin McGowan was until last year..lol....but yeah, I see some newbies that know their stuff and it makes me intrigued by the knowledge they bring. Just wish some of the old-timers didn't leave.

All in all, still happy to be part of this forum. Hope everyone step up, including me!! B)

Edited by rollobobo

I have noticed a lot of veteran posters disappear...its a shame too. This forum has helped me greatly over the years....I didn't even know who Dustin McGowan was until last year..lol....but yeah, I see some newbies that know their stuff and it makes me intrigued by the knowledge they bring. Just wish some of the old-timers didn't leave.

The shame of recommending McGowan and the corresponding lynch mob justice is what forced many veteran posters into exile. B)

My thinking about veteran posters is this: if they leave, good for them.

There is more than just a majority of knowledgeable posts in this forum, there is an overwhelming majority. I would have to believe that if veteran posters choose to become inactive, it's because they have a lack of free time. I do not want to chalk it up to "useless posts" because this is the most comprehensive of any fantasy sports forums I've been on.

I will say, I'm a young 22 year old guy heading off to law school in the fall. I think the height of my posting days will be during this summer and that's it. When I start posting less, let me assure you, it won't be because of a perceived defect in the posts or a lack of disinterest, it'll simply be because I need to commit my time to something else.

I think that's what you see a lot of anywhere you go. I was big into fantasy baseball, went to college, and was pretty much out of it for 2 years. Sometimes more important things just come up.