Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Martin Perez, P, TEX

From front page of RW....

The Rangers have promoted 18-year-old prospect Martin Perez to Double-A Frisco.

Remember this name. Perez is rising quicker in the organization than Neftali Feliz did. And it's hard to say he hasn't earned the assignment. The young southpaw compiled a 2.31 ERA and 105/33 K/BB ratio in 22 games (14 starts) for Class A Hickory this season. His mid-90s fastball, plus-curve and excellent change-up have some scouts comparing him to Johan Santana.

What's his ETA now with the move to Frisco?

Not sure what is ETA is now but can you imagine a rotation of Sheets, Holland, Feliz and Perez in a couple years??

Johan 2.0

Yea this kid is filthy, such advancement at only 18-yrs old, if he holds his own in AA he could be the the minors #1 SP prospect, yea I said it B) He is just starting to get some pub, much like my other stud in another thread Christian Friedrich. But, I am happy to own Martin in my dynasty.

Wow not a very impressive debut in Frisco tonight. 2.2 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 K. He's only 18 and it's his first start in AA, but not what I was hoping for....

Wow not a very impressive debut in Frisco tonight. 2.2 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 K. He's only 18 and it's his first start in AA, but not what I was hoping for....

What exactly were you hoping for his first outing...? LOL. I fully did not expect him to get hammered like this, but it was his first start as an 18-yr old in AA, it was an aggresive promotion to begin with. I fully expect the kid to adjust to this level in another month or so.

What exactly were you hoping for his first outing...? LOL. I fully did not expect him to get hammered like this, but it was his first start as an 18-yr old in AA, it was an aggresive promotion to begin with. I fully expect the kid to adjust to this level in another month or so.

I was hoping for a CG shutout with 13 K's! B) Kidding of course.

Just picked him up in favor of Drabek. Looks like skyz the limit with this kid.

Just took a flyer on this kid for my MILB team. I was going to take Rondon, but I already have a lot of young pitchers and don't really have the roster space to accommodate another one coming up soon so I figured taking this kid would buy me more time and keep my MILB roster depth good.

I just called up Neftali to my team a few days ago so the thought of having another one excites me. 18 years old and playing AA is pretty damn impressive no matter how you look at it.

2nd AA start for mr. perez tonight.....still on a big time innings limit (probably see 4 IP at best) to begin with and being pushed very hard with this promotion but interesting anyway

Next Johan? Meaning he's going to rot away in the minors, not get a chance, and have to be exposed to the Rule V draft?

Next Johan? Meaning he's going to rot away in the minors, not get a chance, and have to be exposed to the Rule V draft?

Rangers GM would get the ax if that happened. He has a plus plus changeup to go with his fastball in that similarity.

Solid outing last night:

5 IP, 4 hits allowed, 0 ER, 3 K's.

Not bad for an 18 year old in AA.

Thought I'd bump this thread up since it's been inactive for a bit. He had a solid start yesterday and is sitting with a 2.08 ERA, WHIP just over 1, and 8 K in 8.2 innings over 2 starts. Any chance he gets called up to the majors before September this year?

Thought I'd bump this thread up since it's been inactive for a bit. He had a solid start yesterday and is sitting with a 2.08 ERA, WHIP just over 1, and 8 K in 8.2 innings over 2 starts. Any chance he gets called up to the majors before September this year?

i think he'll get the full year in the minors - might see a bump to AAA if he blows up the texas league but he's already very young for AA so there could be some bumps........all the kid needs is health at this point - needs to show he can handle a full workload.......the stuff and his pitchability are top notch - ace potential here, just need to have patience........but there is no hurry for a 19 year old in AA

What does anyone make of his recent struggles at AA? Just an 18yr old growing up at AA or a sign that he is not as big as prospect as once thought?

What does anyone make of his recent struggles at AA? Just an 18yr old growing up at AA or a sign that he is not as big as prospect as once thought?

I'd like to hear some opinions on this as well. My guess is that it's just a very young dude getting his growing pains out of the way. Hopefully he'll turn it around soon. It's odd that he hasn't pitched since May 30th. Maybe just the coaches giving him some rest? I hope he's not injured.

Unless someone has some news I'm not going to worry too much. He's probably one of the youngest players in all of AA right now so I think that could have something to do with it.

he's been pretty bad lately, so i would think that because of his last 4-5 starts being so bad that the reason he hasn't pitched since the 30th is to give him a mental break.

for the record, i have nothing but speculation to base that off of. the good news is, he has shown that he can hold his own at the AA level if you just look at his game log. he had 6 outing consecutively (maybe even more, only shows last 10 where i am looking at) where he only gave up 2 ER or less... and several outing he gave up even less then that. on the other hand, his outing have been very very short between 4 and 5 innings, but still nice to see regardless.

7 day DL - cracked fingernail

he'll be fine, his command has been off for a while but that is part of the maturing process......people forget how young he is for AA - he's pitching well, well above his age level

Definitely a good sign, even if he's still working on command. 4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K

Just traded for him in my Dynasty league...Really really hope I don't regret this.

Bringing this thread back... Perez threw 7 shutout innings for AA Frisco today, and has been outstanding for 4 straight games. Looks like he's getting his mojo back, and should start creeping into the top 10 in prospect rankings in the near future.