Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppy

Martin Perez, P, TEX

Bringing this thread back... Perez threw 7 shutout innings for AA Frisco today, and has been outstanding for 4 straight games. Looks like he's getting his mojo back, and should start creeping into the top 10 in prospect rankings in the near future.

Top 10 is generous considering he isn't even going to be a Top 5, and possibly not a Top 10, SP prospect next year, even after you remove the SP who will lose prospect status this season.

Walking a lot of batters as well...

forget about the walks - a 20 year old in AA is going to have his control issues but overall the dude has been a stud and has a very ridiculous future ahead of him.....all the stuff in the world, just figuring out how to use it all

he's allowed 2 or fewer runs in 8 of his 10 starts - that is consistency

53 K's in 53 innings - that is domiance over guys that are several years older then him in most cases

he isn't far off - anyone over-analyzing walks at this point doesn't know how young pitchers develop

Top 10 is generous considering he isn't even going to be a Top 5, and possibly not a Top 10, SP prospect next year, even after you remove the SP who will lose prospect status this season.

Generous perhaps, but not impossible. He was #24 (overall, not just pitchers) in Baseball America's February prospect list, was #23 on MLB.com's list, and #14 by Project Prospect... all after a year in which he struggled quite a bit. If he can shore up his command a bit and keep putting up goose eggs like he has lately, he could make a run at it. Dude's very young with top-tier talent... the sky's the limit, IMO.

Generous perhaps, but not impossible. He was #24 (overall, not just pitchers) in Baseball America's February prospect list, was #23 on MLB.com's list, and #14 by Project Prospect... all after a year in which he struggled quite a bit. If he can shore up his command a bit and keep putting up goose eggs like he has lately, he could make a run at it. Dude's very young with top-tier talent... the sky's the limit, IMO.

I agree. It isn't him as much as it is the competition. Miller, Moore, Teheran, Taillon, Turner, + the 2011 draft, etc. He also seems further off than most of those guys as well.

I agree. It isn't him as much as it is the competition. Miller, Moore, Teheran, Taillon, Turner, + the 2011 draft, etc. He also seems further off than most of those guys as well.

Yeah, there's a lot of talented young arms out there for sure. Might be a couple of years since he's just SO young, but it'll be fun to watch this guy develop. Changeup and mound presence comps with Johan, which is definitely a good thing.

Idk, the 2011 draft is FILLED with great arms, i could see Cole, Bundy, Hultzen, and Bauer make the top 50

Promoted to AAA today. What's the longterm outlook on this guy? Do people still think he can be an ace?

Promoted to AAA today. What's the longterm outlook on this guy? Do people still think he can be an ace?

He's being/been compared to Santana if he can get control of his stuff.

Is he pitching in the PCL?

Yes, last night was his first PCL start.

He's being/been compared to Santana if he can get control of his stuff.

I always though of him more like Wandy Rodriguez that a Johan.

Yikes. 12 hits and 6 ER allowed tonight in just over 3 innings of work. Looks like he's got some seasoning to do.

PCL - If it is a hitters paradise than I think Perez might continue to sttruggle. I think he is a bit overrated in most rankings

Does anyone know what the velocity is on his fastball? We all know his changeup is his #1 pitch, but does anyone have his avg velocity on the fastball?

Does anyone know what the velocity is on his fastball? We all know his changeup is his #1 pitch, but does anyone have his avg velocity on the fastball?

91-93

90-95

Per Baseball America's preseason report.

Scouting Report: There aren't many lefthanders who can match Perez's potential with three pitches, not even in the major leagues. His fastball velocity has increased from the mid-80s when he signed to 91-95 mph with good sink when he's at his best. He did sit around 89-92 for much of last summer before regaining velocity toward the end of the season.

Smacked around again.

4 IP, 8 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

Hopefully this is just an adjustment period.

Smacked around again.

4 IP, 8 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

Hopefully this is just an adjustment period.

20 year old making the jump to AAA and pitching in the PCL. I think he will be fine.

20 year old making the jump to AAA and pitching in the PCL. I think he will be fine.

Yeah the PCL is tough, just ask Mike Montgomery who has been pounded as well. Lets see what Jared Parker and Shelby Miller do there next year.

Much stronger start tonight for Perez:

6.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

WOW - this guy has been pitching like real garbage lately. He's been giving up 5 er per start over his last 5..... OVERRATED?

WOW - this guy has been pitching like real garbage lately. He's been giving up 5 er per start over his last 5..... OVERRATED?

He's been overrated for a couple years now actually.