Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1stplace

Jayson Heyward OF ATL

Try again. Jennings is in there.

It's nice to see Heyward added without waiting too long. Hopefully the others will be added before my drafts start next month.

yep, just wnet back and tried and there he is....now let's hope more get added soon!

Anyone heard any late news on the sensational prospect, Heyward? Wondering what his chances of winning a starting spot outright?

Considering all the hype Heyward has (with given labels like "he's a once in a generation talent"), are we looking at Heyward as a future top three player or just an average All-Star (great but not to the extent of very best)?

Considering all the hype Heyward has (with given labels like "he's a once in a generation talent"), are we looking at Heyward as a future top three player or just an average All-Star (great but not to the extent of very best)?

All hype aside, I'm really starting to think it is the former. But it is certainly far too early to tell with any iota of certainty.

I haven't heard "once in a generation talent" anywhere.....but I'd say M.Kemp/J.Upton/R.Braun/etc. would have to be considered ahead of him for the next 6+ years worth of production. I'd say he has the talent to put up future lines like:

.300 30hr 20sb

....basically what the 3 players listed above have already proven they can do at a really young age. I guess I don't see how Heyward could be significantly better than Kemp/Braun and especially J.Upton. I personally see J.Upton as the "once in a generation" guy right now, but that's just my opinion.

I see Heyward as a all-star caliber player, but even that may take time....NL outfielders like the following will garner more votes for awhile:

J.Upton(young stud)

M.Kemp(young stud)

R.Braun(young stud)

M.Holliday(real solid, in STL, and still only 30)

H.Pence(someone on HOU has to be selected!!...only 27)

A.Eithier(27 and broke out last year)

A.McCutchen(someone on PIT has to be selected!!....only 23)

J.Bay(plays in NY.....puts up HR/RBI)

S.Victorino/J.Werth(bet one makes in this year....PHI fans love to vote)

J.Bruce(will be a perenial all-star soon!)

This list shows just how hard it is to make an all-star team as an OF. It doesn't even include guys like:

M.Ramirez/A.Soriano/C.Lee/C.Beltran/A.Dunn some of which will make it on name recognition!

I'd say perenial all-star is a pretty tough assignment for an OF prospect.

I have heard the generational talent label a rwe times...mostly in Braves Blogs, and I also agree with draftbackwards that Jay-Hey has a long way to go to keep company with Braun/Kemp/Upton. But I also don't think it is a reach that he will be in thier company in a few years, the kid just needs time!

Disclaimer: Heyward owner and life-long Braves fan. It's hard to keep things in perspective when I read waaay to many Braves only blogs. I see Heyward in a vaccuum and in that vaccuum he is the overlord of baseball. it's important to keep things in perspective the way draftbackwards has done.

well if it helps Chipper Jones today was quoted in the local atlanta newspaper as saying he'd be extremely shocked if Heyward didn't break camp with the big league club.

Chipper has compared him to Fred McGriff which i've heard that a few times now from various people and Bobby Cox said the sound the ball makes when it comes off Heyward's bat is a sound he hasn't heard in a very long time and when asked who was the last person he remembered hearing that sound from he said it was Hank Aaron.

I haven't heard "once in a generation talent" anywhere.....but I'd say M.Kemp/J.Upton/R.Braun/etc. would have to be considered ahead of him for the next 6+ years worth of production. I'd say he has the talent to put up future lines like:

.300 30hr 20sb

....basically what the 3 players listed above have already proven they can do at a really young age. I guess I don't see how Heyward could be significantly better than Kemp/Braun and especially J.Upton. I personally see J.Upton as the "once in a generation" guy right now, but that's just my opinion.

I see Heyward as a all-star caliber player, but even that may take time....NL outfielders like the following will garner more votes for awhile:

I think Upton is the only one that will be above Heyward. I can see Heyward posting .320-35-20 type lines with a massive OBP. That's the big difference...OBP...the thing that puts him ahead of guys like Braun and Kemp in the future (not immediate).

I think Upton is the only one that will be above Heyward. I can see Heyward posting .320-35-20 type lines with a massive OBP. That's the big difference...OBP...the thing that puts him ahead of guys like Braun and Kemp in the future (not immediate).

Heyward already shows a better minor league OPS than Upton did at the same age. As well as a far better contact rate. Upton showed more speed but clearly Heyward has the more power.

Me and my one buddy are constantly comparing Upton and Heyward they have very similar minor league stat lines in terms of OPS age and levels. I'm curious to see how these guys career's shake out but I really have to think Heyward has more upside than even Upton. Especially with these spring training notes I keep reading.

Heyward already shows a better minor league OPS than Upton did at the same age. As well as a far better contact rate. Upton showed more speed but clearly Heyward has the more power.

Me and my one buddy are constantly comparing Upton and Heyward they have very similar minor league stat lines in terms of OPS age and levels. I'm curious to see how these guys career's shake out but I really have to think Heyward has more upside than even Upton. Especially with these spring training notes I keep reading.

I think Heyward has more polish as a hitter than Upton did at the same stage, for sure. I'd have a hard time saying anyone has more power than J-Up did. The reason for Heyward's OPS being a touch higher than Upton's doesn't account for the fact that Upton's age 18 season was an adjustment phase, with a .757 OPS (he went .961 the next year) Heyward's OPS at age 18 & 19 are .854 & .963 in the MILB - which is why they look comparable. In terms of ceiling, Upton has continued to explode at an unparralleled rate (his age 20 OPS & age 21 OPS for the MLB comps are out of this world). I hesitate to attach any player with a similar label power-wise without that kind of stark progression.

The .avg distance of J-Up's HR's even as a 19 and 20-year old were legendary. I don't know that Heyward has the same type of power. We both agree J-Up has the edge in speed ceiling as well. And FWIW, this isn't a knock against Heyward - I believe he is the #1 prospect, period (I prefer bats to arms, so don't shoot me, Strasburg owners B) ).

I see .300/30-35/20 as Heyward's profile - the classic #3 hitter. I see J-Up as the Holy Grail - 40/40 or 40/30 with .300+. Heyward's profile would make him the top OF behind J-Up, and right there with Braun-like production. 8-10 seasons of that kind of production would make him a HOF player - so believe me when I say I think the world of Heyward. But there's a reason why Upton is called a generational talent - because it only comes once in a while. I think Heyward has HOF talent as his ceiling - so I trust the distinction is clear, and not an insult to Heyward in any way.

Turns out it was Heyward hitting a homerun....serioulsy, though...I have my headset on listening on my iPhone and I swear it sounded like a gunshot! it made me flinch because it sounded like a rifle, I thought something bad had just happened at the ball park.

I heard they're adding nets to the park because he wrecked so many cars during BP.

And that's a true story. Bobby Cox apparently said, "People think it's a joke, but it's true. He wrecked too many cars."

by the time my draft comes i doubt hes gonna be a good value

This is truth. I got him for $4 in my redraft auction. Strasberg the same. That was about my limit for the both of them. By the time S/T is ending and most drafts occur, you'll be lucky to get them for $10. That's just far too much.

EDIT: This thread title is misleading. Maybe merge it with the Heyward thread?

by the time my draft comes i doubt hes gonna be a good value

Happened with Wieters last year and Longoria before that. In March the hype machine goes into full throttle and ADP's skyrocket with these big name prospects.

EDIT: This thread title is misleading. Maybe merge it with the Heyward thread?

good idea, apologies for not doing that earlier!

Boy am I glad I drafted this guy 2 years ago.

You, I traded Freidrich-Jennings & S. Rodriguez for him in my keeper league. lol Pairing him with Stanton. lol I'm estatic as a braves fan! lol

I think Heyward has more polish as a hitter than Upton did at the same stage, for sure. I'd have a hard time saying anyone has more power than J-Up did. The reason for Heyward's OPS being a touch higher than Upton's doesn't account for the fact that Upton's age 18 season was an adjustment phase, with a .757 OPS (he went .961 the next year) Heyward's OPS at age 18 & 19 are .854 & .963 in the MILB - which is why they look comparable. In terms of ceiling, Upton has continued to explode at an unparralleled rate (his age 20 OPS & age 21 OPS for the MLB comps are out of this world). I hesitate to attach any player with a similar label power-wise without that kind of stark progression.

The .avg distance of J-Up's HR's even as a 19 and 20-year old were legendary. I don't know that Heyward has the same type of power. We both agree J-Up has the edge in speed ceiling as well. And FWIW, this isn't a knock against Heyward - I believe he is the #1 prospect, period (I prefer bats to arms, so don't shoot me, Strasburg owners B) ).

I see .300/30-35/20 as Heyward's profile - the classic #3 hitter. I see J-Up as the Holy Grail - 40/40 or 40/30 with .300+. Heyward's profile would make him the top OF behind J-Up, and right there with Braun-like production. 8-10 seasons of that kind of production would make him a HOF player - so believe me when I say I think the world of Heyward. But there's a reason why Upton is called a generational talent - because it only comes once in a while. I think Heyward has HOF talent as his ceiling - so I trust the distinction is clear, and not an insult to Heyward in any way.

I second this. I don't have the words to express how good J-Up could be if he puts in the work and lives up to his potential. Here's to hoping he has an amazing season.

I second this. I don't have the words to express how good J-Up could be if he puts in the work and lives up to his potential. Here's to hoping he has an amazing season.

To add to this. I know everyone's extremely excited about Heyward's power potential, and rightfully so, but in todays sports we seem to have a "what have you done for me lately" type of attitude.

Some people must have forgotten.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200807063080444

20 years old...

Whats he capable of this year?

Whats he capable of this year?

it all depends on the amount of ABs he gets. I just drafted him in round 16 of my 14 team league.

if he gets 500 AB I can see 20+HR and 15+SB. his runs and rbis would depends on where he hits in the order.

Does anyone know why he hasnt been in the line up in spring training since Tuesday?

it all depends on the amount of ABs he gets. I just drafted him in round 16 of my 14 team league.

if he gets 500 AB I can see 20+HR and 15+SB. his runs and rbis would depends on where he hits in the order.

Does anyone know why he hasnt been in the line up in spring training since Tuesday?

He played yesterday and hit well.....again!!!! His batting practices are becoming legendary....only helping his cause to open w/ the big club!!!

well glad to hear he played well, hopefully just pre-cautionary and the injury is nothing major.

Atlanta's outfield is pathetic. Bobby Cox really cannot be debating to start Melky over him...can he?