Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

I'm not certain how it works with baseball, but if a college football player signs with an agent, he is no longer able to play college football. Is this not true with baseball also? If Strasburg has signed with Boros, is he now no longer able to return to college to play?

I'm not certain how it works with baseball, but if a college football player signs with an agent, he is no longer able to play college football. Is this not true with baseball also? If Strasburg has signed with Boros, is he now no longer able to return to college to play?

In baseball they can return for their senior year if they don't sign. So can HS players who don't sign after being drafted.

They don't have agents, they have "advisors". Yeah, it's a BS distinction, but the NCAA is willing to turn a blind eye.

I'm thinking that the fact that Harper quit high school and went to Juco is proof that Washington is going to sign Strasburg. I'm thinking that his people would have talked to Washington's people and if Washington wasn't going to pay up for Strasburg that they weren't going to pay up for Harper, and he may have delayed a year.

ESPN leaguemates... Eric Karabel just wrote the following in his chat transcript

Stephen Strasburg (DC?)

Ok let's end the drama here about me. When is ESPN going to add my name to their fantasy baseball waivers?

<H6 class=sn>Eric Karabell</H6>No drama, as far as I know. He has to pitch first, that's all. See ya in 2010.

Looks like we might not see him show up on the waivers this season contrary to what previous posters have said. Very unfortunate for those of us holding out hope with #1 waiver priorities.

I shared an email on here with ESPN customer care a while back. They told me he would be added after he is drafted. Maybe they changed their minds. Here is another email with them recently. I FEEL LIED TO B)

From ESPN Customer Care....

"Unfortunately a player will not be added during the middle of the season to the player pool unless they have made their Major League Debut. If any of the drafted players make their major league team and play this season, then they will be added to the player pool."

I shared an email on here with ESPN customer care a while back. They told me he would be added after he is drafted. Maybe they changed their minds. Here is another email with them recently. I FEEL LIED TO B)

From ESPN Customer Care....

"Unfortunately a player will not be added during the middle of the season to the player pool unless they have made their Major League Debut. If any of the drafted players make their major league team and play this season, then they will be added to the player pool."

They are probably waiting to see if he signs before they add him....

They are probably waiting to see if he signs before they add him....

I am still getting the impression that they will not add him until he throws a big league pitch. I hope you are right. B)

I am still getting the impression that they will not add him until he throws a big league pitch. I hope you are right. B)

Ie: Bret Cecil. Was not added until he appeared in a major league game. Some players, and I am not sure how they determine their status, are added to the free agent pool in the offseason (see Alvarez, Smoak, Bumgarner, etc....) and others that are not in the free agent pool are not added until having made an appearance. I feel that this will be the same thing with Strasburg. So we all must hope that he is signed by Aug 17th and that the Nats want to show their fans what they have to look for so they allow him to throw short relief or something in September. Either way, ESPN backtracked on their earlier statements about Strasburg.

I am thinking of trading for Strasburg. I think he will have an impact by august/september because of his stuff and that he might not go to the minors (first player ever) or dominate and then get called up.

It's quite possible he'll have an impact but you have to temper your expectations.

He probably isn't as polished as Lincecum was coming into the league (although anyone would be happy with a semblance of what Lince provided), and the Nationals defense is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. No matter how godly he pitches there he's going to have some struggles because of that.

It's quite possible he'll have an impact but you have to temper your expectations.

He probably isn't as polished as Lincecum was coming into the league (although anyone would be happy with a semblance of what Lince provided), and the Nationals defense is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. No matter how godly he pitches there he's going to have some struggles because of that.

so you think he will definitely sign and get starts in the majors? that is all I care about. I have watched enough of him where I am confident. I just wasn't sure if he was going to sign and get starts this year in the majors. and wanted to get your guys' opinions.

his movement on the san diego state website is unbelievable. He has silly curve balls that he mixes in with sliders and fast balls, etc. The youtube clip of the 23 strike out game is ridiculous also.

There's really no way to tell until he gets signed. I'm sure it won't be until late july/early august (right up to the deadline), and I can't see any way Washington will simply trot him out there, never having practiced/played with anyone on the team/worked with the coaching staff.

Maybe if he gets signed before August and has a couple great starts in the minors we'll see a call up. But I'm voting for the 2010.

Chances he starts in the big leagues this year? Zero.

He's a Boras guy, these negotiations are coming right down to the last minute with the August 17th deadline. At which point, he won't have started a game in about 2 and a half months so it would take some time to stretch his arm out even if they wanted to start him. Maybe he gets some innings out of the bullpen, but not enough to be fantasy significant unless they throw him right into the closers role.

Maybe he gets some innings out of the bullpen, but not enough to be fantasy significant unless they throw him right into the closers role.

Closer Role? Who Knows?

Only Problem with that is the Nationals would have to win a few Games for him to get Saves.

Chances he starts in the big leagues this year? Zero.

He's a Boras guy, these negotiations are coming right down to the last minute with the August 17th deadline. At which point, he won't have started a game in about 2 and a half months so it would take some time to stretch his arm out even if they wanted to start him. Maybe he gets some innings out of the bullpen, but not enough to be fantasy significant unless they throw him right into the closers role.

Unless you are in a keeper league and you are able to snatch him up after he throws a pitch and then keep him for the next 5 years. Then you really don't care how he gets into the league this year. That said, in a redraft league, he will have zero value this year.

I’d say there’s a 75% chance the Nationals reach a deal at the deadline, but they’ll probably rest him until the following season. Tampa did the same w/ Price in ’07.

Unless you are in a keeper league and you are able to snatch him up after he throws a pitch and then keep him for the next 5 years. Then you really don't care how he gets into the league this year. That said, in a redraft league, he will have zero value this year.

Fair enough, I was talking re-draft leagues though.

Fair enough, I was talking re-draft leagues though.

I totally agree. I've been saying for a month now I don't see why anyone in a re-draft would be really paying too much attention to him. Even if he makes it to the majors this year he'll be totally babied and unlikely to turn in any amazing starts with the 80 pitch type counts he'd be likely to be on. Best case scenario in a re-draft he makes 5 starts without a hindering pitch count. While they would likely be in the fantasy playoffs I wouldn't hold my breath on him having any value.

In a dynasty on the other hand, the sky is the limit. Simple loss of waiver priority for that kind of potential would be worth waiting several seasons on. I definitely see him pitching for the Nats by this time next season.

He really reminds me of the next Mark Prior.

Great stuff early on but blows out his arm a few times and never returns as the same guy.

Yes the kid has amazing stuff, but he has a very violent delivery. He is young and after he logs ininngs for a couple of years he WILL have shoulder or elbow problems (Rich Harden could also throw 100+ at the same age and look what has happened to him, DLed over and over again). Yes if he tweaks his delivery this might not happen, but that is a very big might. There have been only a few pitchers who could throw as hard as him and sustain it over the long haul, Nolan Ryan and Justin Verlander are just a couple of them but both are freaks of nature though. In my opinion I would rather have Verlander on my roster, because who would ever want to sign with the lowly Nats? Another fact is that when he came out of high school he wasn't even drafted, because he was overweight and could barely touch 90 on the radar gun. Yes he did work on it at SDSU, but with a hard nosed coach like Tony Gwynn who wouldn't. Also who's to say that because of all the hype he is getting that he won't revert to his old lethargic self again, because the Nats will treat him like royalty.

Yes the kid has amazing stuff, but he has a very violent delivery. He is young and after he logs ininngs for a couple of years he WILL have shoulder or elbow problems (Rich Harden could also throw 100+ at the same age and look what has happened to him, DLed over and over again). Yes if he tweaks his delivery this might not happen, but that is a very big might. There have been only a few pitchers who could throw as hard as him and sustain it over the long haul, Nolan Ryan and Justin Verlander are just a couple of them but both are freaks of nature though. In my opinion I would rather have Verlander on my roster, because who would ever want to sign with the lowly Nats? Another fact is that when he came out of high school he wasn't even drafted, because he was overweight and could barely touch 90 on the radar gun. Yes he did work on it at SDSU, but with a hard nosed coach like Tony Gwynn who wouldn't. Also who's to say that because of all the hype he is getting that he won't revert to his old lethargic self again, because the Nats will treat him like royalty.

What if a meteor destroys the eastern seaboard?

Still no contract offer from the Nationals. A month to go, but it looks like a game of chicken is about to ensue.

Still no contract offer from the Nationals. A month to go, but it looks like a game of chicken is about to ensue.

Knowing the Nats, they won't sign him.

Knowing the Nats, they won't sign him.

There is zero chance that happens.