Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

There is zero chance that happens.

They didn't sign their 1st round pick last year.

They didn't sign their 1st round pick last year.

Aaron Crow is nowhere near the player Strasburg is not to mention Strasburg is a once in a generation prospect.

Aaron Crow is nowhere near the player Strasburg is not to mention Strasburg is a once in a generation prospect.

Yep, and the Nats would lose everything from fans to ticket sales to merchandise sales if they failed to land this one. The contract will be unreasonably large, but they will make it up at the gate and in merch, etc... If they don't sign him then they haven't a clue.

Yep, and the Nats would lose everything from fans to ticket sales to merchandise sales if they failed to land this one. The contract will be unreasonably large, but they will make it up at the gate and in merch, etc... If they don't sign him then they haven't a clue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the players union steps in and caps signing bonuses / contracts out of the draft after Strasburg signs.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/espn...-strasburg.html

ESPN: Nats Not Close To Signing Strasburg

By Brian Shephard [July 21 at 6:28pm CST]

ESPN is reporting that that Nationals are "not on pace" to sign phenom Stephen Strasburg by the August 17 deadline. The information was given to ESPN's Pedro Gomez by a "source close to the negotiations."

Anyone have any news on the talks between the Nats and Boras? Hoping something gets done and he gets signed.

He really reminds me of the next Mark Prior.

Great stuff early on but blows out his arm a few times and never returns as the same guy.

I sure hope not. I'm just glad I wasn't in a keeper/dynasty league when I became enamored with Prior. I thought the guy was going to be a HOF pitcher for sure. I do have to blame some of Prior's issues on Dusty Baker. The guy threw a ton of pitches for a young guy and I think Wood, Zambrano, and Prior all were damaged by that. I think with that knowledge the Nats as an organization will be very cautious on their usage of Strasburg. I won't be able to get him in my dynasty (WW or draft), but I still love to see exciting young players and there hasn't been one more hyped in quite a while.

diff. between prior and stras is that stras woult get to go the distance when hes a rook...they workd prior WAY to hard

Is Strasburg really going to let Boras quibble over money? Seriously? This is utterly ridiculous on so many levels. The Nationals will have the 1st pick again and can just draft him in 2010. Isn't there some "Super 2" deal now that a player at the beginning of MLB service time after a couple years can get a massive raise of money. If he thinks he's all that don't let the Darth Boras whisper in his ear and just sign already and earn the money on the field. This is an absolutely sickening story to follow day to day and surprised there isn't more national focus on how the amateur draft has become as bad as the NFL rookie signing bonuses and further dividing the big and small markets now in the minor league level in the acquisitons of elite prospects.

Is Strasburg really going to let Boras quibble over money? Seriously? This is utterly ridiculous on so many levels. The Nationals will have the 1st pick again and can just draft him in 2010. Isn't there some "Super 2" deal now that a player at the beginning of MLB service time after a couple years can get a massive raise of money.

I believe that there is a rule in which they could not choose him again without his (Strasburg's) approval, if he does not sign now. They would then have the first and second pick in the draft.

You also have to remember that Boras hates the lack of power that rookies have and control that teams have over them for the 6 years. This will not just be about Strasburg, but also every rookie coming after him (in Boras's mind anyway). Strasburg will "plow the road" for the rest of them by setting the bar high.

Boras IMO wants rookies to essentially be free agents and get that type of money, which is ridiculous because so many of them never pan out.

I think its perfectly clear in all my reading of Boras he has a hatred for owners in general. I think a player with immense talent as Strasburg seems to possess will have more than enough opportunity to make more money than he would ever want. Especially considering what the market will be for ace pitchers 5 years after what C.C just signed. Amateur players regardless of their talent do not deserve to be given guaranteed money surpassing what alot of average players actually in the MLB are making currently. There just has to come a point where is the money really worth further corroding the financial structure and competitive playing field of the entire league. Its not an agents job to care about such idealistic things but it should be the commisioners responsiblity to regulate this and get this under control.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationals...ationalsjournal

Speculation on MLBtraderumors.com

Tough break for the Nationals: According to Chico Harlan at the Washington Post, prized young arm Jordan Zimmermann has a torn ligament that will likely require up to 18 months to repair. Speculation, but perhaps this could further press the Nationals in the Stephen Strasburg negotiations?

I don't know if a deal gets done, but I am pretty sure it won't be until about 30 minutes before the deadline.

I believe that there is a rule in which they could not choose him again without his (Strasburg's) approval, if he does not sign now. They would then have the first and second pick in the draft.

You also have to remember that Boras hates the lack of power that rookies have and control that teams have over them for the 6 years. This will not just be about Strasburg, but also every rookie coming after him (in Boras's mind anyway). Strasburg will "plow the road" for the rest of them by setting the bar high.

Boras IMO wants rookies to essentially be free agents and get that type of money, which is ridiculous because so many of them never pan out.

That rule does exist. He (Strasburg) would have to grant the Nats approval to select him again next season. If he does not sign the Nats would get the 1 and 1A pick in next seasons draft. Bryce Harper and who knows since Strasburg will definately not allow them to redraft him.

I'd think this works against the Nats because Boras would use the leverage that they might try and burn out his clients arm and ruin hs career so he'd demand even more than the 50 million he was trying to get. So I can't see the Zimmerman situation in anyway being a plus for their chances of signing him.

I'd think this works against the Nats because Boras would use the leverage that they might try and burn out his clients arm and ruin hs career so he'd demand even more than the 50 million he was trying to get. So I can't see the Zimmerman situation in anyway being a plus for their chances of signing him.

I don't think it was meant as a plus for their chances so much as the need to sign him is that much greater and I think that plus the idea of not signing their top pick 2 years in a row will infuriate their fan base to the point of destroying the new stadium.

Yeah I agree on that point for sure. It would be devestating to the morale of the fanbase should they lose him. Which I think lead to my point in Boras recogniizing that and having a stranglehold on the organization. I really feel terrible for them as they deserve some hope.

I fully expect a deal to get done for 3 reasons:

1. The Nats will be absolutely destroyed in PR and their fans will go nuts if he's not signed.

2. Strasburg doesn't have money now.......you think he'd like a $10-15mil bonus right now?

3. Most importantly, the value of Strasburg's first year of F.A. is probably around $20-25mil if he's great like most think he will be...and I don't think he or Boras feels that he will get $25 more in bonuses if they work out a contract in 2010 w/ a different team.

Financially, it doesn't make sense to go back in the draft and lose that year of pay.

Stephen Strasburg-S-Nationals Aug. 14 - 10:47 am et

According to the Washington Times, a group of Nationals executives flew to California last week to visit No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg.

The group included managing principal owner Ted Lerner, team president Stan Kasten and acting general manager Mike Rizzo. There's a good chance agent Scott Boras was also present. The two sides are not close on negotiations, but you can bet it'll be a priority this weekend. The deadline to sign draft picks is Monday.

Source: Washington Times

I fully expect a deal to get done for 3 reasons:

1. The Nats will be absolutely destroyed in PR and their fans will go nuts if he's not signed.

2. Strasburg doesn't have money now.......you think he'd like a $10-15mil bonus right now?

3. Most importantly, the value of Strasburg's first year of F.A. is probably around $20-25mil if he's great like most think he will be...and I don't think he or Boras feels that he will get $25 more in bonuses if they work out a contract in 2010 w/ a different team.

Financially, it doesn't make sense to go back in the draft and lose that year of pay.

I agree 100% with this.

To add to it it....

Strasburg would be an idiot to turn down that much guaranteed money. Especially in a recession as bad as the one America is currently in. Which is about to get worse once hyper inflation hits and foreign trade is non existant from all the money the government has recently circulated.

Ontop of the fact that there are talks of the player's union stepping in and capping signing bonuses / contracts out of the draft. A lot of veterans are pretty angry about this kind of stuff.

Also next year Starsburg might not even be the first overall pick. Bryce Harper could very well be... Should be in my opinon.

Strasburg not signing would be 100% in the intrest of Scott Boras. Not Strasburg. Boras is telling Strasburg he is worth X amonut of dollars and not to sign unless he gets it. Only because the more money Starsburg gets the more money Harper (being "adviced" by Boras) will get next year and then the more money the next phenom Scott Boras picks up and exploits (using this term lightly) will get... When in reality Strasburg would be risking injury and getting far less money when he is already gaurenteed the biggest signing bonus ever. That is just pure greed.

Starsburgs parents have to be aware of this. If Strasburg doesnt sign he is just greedy and asking The Baseball Gods to destroy his arm in 2010 independant ball.

If he returned to the draft, the Nationals would have the 2nd pick in the draft for not signing him in '09, plus may very well have the 1st(worst record in the majors right now). Hence, Strasburg would then be the 3rd pick(assuming that team decided to draft him). I would say being the 3rd pick in a draft takes away leverage from Boras. Boras isn't dumb; he knows this, and has looked at all the angles.

I expect a deal that has Strasburg in the majors on opening day(super-2 eligibility will be important for Boras), he's good enough to make that rotation anyways. I think the deal will be for $18-20 mil.

He's definitely making a mistake if he thinks he's guaranteed to get more money as the 3rd pick next year. Plus I don't see it being worth the risk. He could blow out his arm in indy ball and never get the millions.

I can see what Boras is saying about inflation since Prior got his contract, but that still wouldn't get him twice Prior's deal. This is all for Boras to get more for players down the road. Strasburg needs to realize Boras has ulterior motives here and take charge and get a deal signed.

He's definitely making a mistake if he thinks he's guaranteed to get more money as the 3rd pick next year. Plus I don't see it being worth the risk. He could blow out his arm in indy ball and never get the millions.

I can see what Boras is saying about inflation since Prior got his contract, but that still wouldn't get him twice Prior's deal. This is all for Boras to get more for players down the road. Strasburg needs to realize Boras has ulterior motives here and take charge and get a deal signed.

I've often wondered to myself if a team like the Dodgers, Yankees or Red Sox would pony up the asking price if they held the rights to SS. Something tells me even those teams might be taking the same approach as the Nats.

http://masnsports.com/2009/08/fit-to-be-tied-2.html

Found on MLBTraderumors.com

Meanwhile, tomorrow will be very interesting for Nationals' fans, with the midnight deadline approaching to sign draft picks.

Sources close to the negotiations say the Nats have a $17 million deal on the table for pitcher Stephen Strasburg, with easily attainable incentives that could push it beyond $20 million.

There's some concern about exceeding $20 million because Strasburg is a power pitcher, and therefore more susceptible to an arm injury. But the Nats still think he's worth it, and negotiations will continue through the night unless Scott Boras' camp cuts them off.

The Nats' front office informed Stasburg that it hasn't ruled out selecting him again next year (with his consent).

Sooner or later, they're bound to sign their first pick.

Maybe I'm a coward, but as a college kid, I wouldn't have the nerve to walk away from $17 million. Same goes for Mychal Givens, the high school shortstop who must feel like the Orioles have low-balled him in negotiations.

I'd take the money and run, but maybe that's just me.

Does anyone have any interesting takes on how this is going to play out today/tonight? I know I'll be waiting by the tv/computer for news that a deal has been reached and that the Nats will pitch him from the pen this season in September!