Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

At what point is enough money enough for never throwing a pitch in the majors?

This quote sums up this whole negotiation in my opinion.

How do you not sign for 17 million??? Especially with how many first overall pick pitchers (let alone first round pitchers) never really make the impact they were expected to in the majors. If they even make it to the majors at all.

Not signing this contract leaves an undetermined (but a whole lot) amount of risk in Strasburgs life / career. Especially for a power pitcher, as mentioned earlier in this post.

Signing is 17 million guaranteed. A MLB record. This kid not only will be the highest paid baseball player without ever playing pro ball but he will also have a MLB record before he even throws a pitch as well. As well as a national league team to play for but a pitchers park as well. In a rebuilding organization who very well could get the other once in a decade talent next year in Bryce Harper. All in the nations capital nonetheless. This is the perfect opportunity for Strasburg to thrive. He couldn't possibly be dumb enough to be willing to throw it all away to make Scott Boras richer???... I mean they do educate out there in San Diego State, right?...

I'm thinking this deal gets done at 20 million (hopefully less for the sake of Veteran players and just fairness). Which is already way too much money for someone who has never played an inning of pro ball to begin with. The Nats probably honestly just can't afford to go any higher.

Like I said the other day, I think a deal gets done w/ $18-20 mil guaranteed. I don't think he'll pitch this year at all(has enough innings already). I feel he makes the rotation out of spring training in '10. Also, I'm looking for #'s next year of:

13-9

180 inn.

192 k's

3.62 era

1.21 whip

Then I think he puts up Lincecum #'s in 2011.

Another good article written today on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

For what it's worth, I really think that Boras and Strasburg will do themselves more harm than good if they can't get this deal done. In today's economy, you'd be an idiot to think that the majority of the US will side with a 20 year old kid who didn't think 20mm was enough money. Add to that the fact that the current major league ball players are fighting day in day out for new contracts and bonuses and these are guys that have proven themselves, well that spells a bad recipe for Boras/Strasburg. My feelings: Deal get's done at about 20mm in total with a clause that he plays in September and that he is in the rotation in 2010 on Opening Day.

Another good article written today on MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

For what it's worth, I really think that Boras and Strasburg will do themselves more harm than good if they can't get this deal done. In today's economy, you'd be an idiot to think that the majority of the US will side with a 20 year old kid who didn't think 20mm was enough money. Add to that the fact that the current major league ball players are fighting day in day out for new contracts and bonuses and these are guys that have proven themselves, well that spells a bad recipe for Boras/Strasburg. My feelings: Deal get's done at about 20mm in total with a clause that he plays in September and that he is in the rotation in 2010 on Opening Day.

He will be signed. Both sides are going to present this Kabuki Theater of soundbytes so each can save face. But at the end of this day, Strasburg will sign on the line which is dotted. The mere risk of waiting another year only to get picked by a weak-market team like Pittsburgh or Kansas City makes this alleged $17 million+ offer a no-brainer. Not to mention, I think the Zimmerman injury will serve as a wakeup call to Strasburg that time is NOT on his side - even at his age - because major arm injuries don't really care how old you are when they strike. Washington risks bad publicity as an organization - but the individuals will move on with their lives; Strasburg risks throwing away his own fiscally guaranteed future if he doesn't sign. I'd say that Washington has all the leverage here.

Reported 12.5mm offer from the Nats. That number has a lot of zero's behind it. Tough for a 20 year old to pass on GUARANTEED money. We'll see how this shakes out today, but bet that we won't have a resolution before midnight.

If Strasburg doesn't sign he is a complete moron. He never will get what super agent Scott "I love to blow smoke up my clients you know what" Boras says he is worth. It really seems that Boras has made this kid into the TO of baseball and he still hasn't even thrown a single pitch in the majors. In my opinion they really need to change how baseball does its yearly amateur draft so the rich do not keep getting richer.

Baseball really needs to institute a HARD slotting system similar to basketball's. If you get drafted at a certain point you get paid a certain amount. Just makes sense almost eliminates the need for agents, THEN AND ONLY THEN they can offer trading draft picks and players just drafted. That will never happen in baseball but it would be better for teams and really the draftees. Once they since they can start working on their service time.

Baseball really needs to institute a HARD slotting system similar to basketball's. If you get drafted at a certain point you get paid a certain amount. Just makes sense almost eliminates the need for agents, THEN AND ONLY THEN they can offer trading draft picks and players just drafted. That will never happen in baseball but it would be better for teams and really the draftees. Once they since they can start working on their service time.

Every1 in the world who is a professional at what they do or think they are a professional, ALWAYS seeks top dollar for their services... Isnt that the world we live in... Arent houses, cars, vacations, goods more expensive now then they were 10 yrs ago???? Wasnt gas like $1.75 a gallon back then... lol

Cmon ppl be realistic... fans get upset when players hold out or when rookies hold out... Havent we at one time or another asked our boss for a raise????

Strasburg is a talent we will witness 1/15-20 years... or so it looks... if you think he is gettin alot ... just wait till Bryce Harper gets into the draft.....

Why do u guys think Porcello went so late in last years draft???? b/c of signability not because he wasnt good enough... he should have been a top 3 pick.

Dont blame the agents or the players ... they are looking out for themselves....

Blame the MEDIA.... for blowin these guys up like they do and giving them all the reason to ask for a ton of money... some1 compares u to Nolan Ryan and trust me your gonna want money that Nolan Ryan never saw!!!!

No1 said the slotting can't go up for cost of living. HAHA Cost of living you mention that like we aren't talking about MILLIONS instead of thousands. If I or you went to your boss and asked for a cost of living increase of $2 Million because times just aren't the same as they were when Mark Prior signed his deal they would laugh you out of the building. Get real. So your telling me there are lots of basketball players living on rookie contracts on welfare? LeBron's still on his rookie deal and looks to be doing very well for himself.

Blame the MEDIA.... for blowin these guys up like they do and giving them all the reason to ask for a ton of money... some1 compares u to Nolan Ryan and trust me your gonna want money that Nolan Ryan never saw!!!!

What, is this real? Blame the media for the ego and avarice of professional athletes? This is some sort of joke, right?

No1 said the slotting can't go up for cost of living. HAHA Cost of living you mention that like we aren't talking about MILLIONS instead of thousands. If I or you went to your boss and asked for a cost of living increase of $2 Million because times just aren't the same as they were when Mark Prior signed his deal they would laugh you out of the building. Get real. So your telling me there are lots of basketball players living on rookie contracts on welfare? LeBron's still on his rookie deal and looks to be doing very well for himself.

No1 said that they are living on welfare... but if the organization is making or goin to make so much money off of a player they should be able to demand certain things... Lebron has made the Cavs a gold mine compared to what they were .. so would he have been wrong in holding out until he got exactly what he wanted????

What, is this real? Blame the media for the ego and avarice of professional athletes? This is some sort of joke, right?

Way to shoot urself in the leg???? Answer me this???

How did these guys grow these ego's???? Maybe, ESPN talkin about them and saying how good they are???? ex. Strasburg, Harper,Lebron....

Why have some athletes failed ???? for the same reasons..... but others succeed and thrive off of it

No1 said that they are living on welfare... but if the organization is making or goin to make so much money off of a player they should be able to demand certain things... Lebron has made the Cavs a gold mine compared to what they were .. so would he have been wrong in holding out until he got exactly what he wanted????

Riddle me this? Who's going to get a max deal next year? Not to ruin the answer but that guy will be the guy who got a "bad" rookie deal. Would you honestly say that a guy got "screw" by major sports by only getting so many millions to PLAY a game. Don't get me wrong, they are exceptional athletes and I'm not saying they don't deserve to get paid. I doubt you are an attorney but have you ever said "I have to go to work tomorrow and PLAY lawyer?" I doubt it. That's my point. They will get their money if they fulfill their potential and if not they still get more than I make in QUITE a few years at a NORMAL job. Sorry I don't understand your point. If these guys were to earn a % of their teams profits we could see your point in your Cav's comment.

Riddle me this? Who's going to get a max deal next year? Not to ruin the answer but that guy will be the guy who got a "bad" rookie deal. Would you honestly say that a guy got "screw" by major sports by only getting so many millions to PLAY a game. Don't get me wrong, they are exceptional athletes and I'm not saying they don't deserve to get paid. I doubt you are an attorney but have you ever said "I have to go to work tomorrow and PLAY lawyer?" I doubt it. That's my point. They will get their money if they fulfill their potential and if not they still get more than I make in QUITE a few years at a NORMAL job. Sorry I don't understand your point. If these guys were to earn a % of their teams profits we could see your point in your Cav's comment.

As I sit next my friend independent ball which is only 90 games a yr... and hes not a everyday starter.... doesnt deal with Media... doesnt deal with doin Charity work all the time... doesnt deal with an extreme lack of privacy ... and 3/4 thru his 90 game season... he says himself that its taken a toll on his body...

So while we see them go out onto the field 3 hrs everyday, we miss out on everything else that they have to deal, and of course im not sayin they live a miserable life... but I guarantee 95% of ppl on these forums wouldnt b able to handle it.

All in all their jobs at times becomes alot harder then what anything any of us do.... Imagine have to hop on a plane on average prolly every 4 days and fly all over the country.

So its not everything ppl make it out to be ..... or in the minors dealing with 10 hr bus rides.... these are the things ppl dont see... and if we didnt go to,watch, blog, consume everything baseball has to offer they wouldnt b getting paid anywhere close to what they get paid.... everyday millions of ppl wake up wanting to become baseball players but every yr there are only 1200 players on a MLB roster

I saw that as well. Really need some more solid information before I will believe it, but MLBTraderumors.com is stating he signed as well. Likely we'll know the details in the morning and it will be all over ESPN. VERY VERY happy to see that the Nats held fairly strong to their position and that ultimately Boras did not do his client wrong by not singing. Still an outrageous bonus, but at least it wasn't 50mm. Will be interesting to see if they have plans to pitch him out of relief this season as an appetizer for next season.

As I sit next my friend independent ball which is only 90 games a yr... and hes not a everyday starter.... doesnt deal with Media... doesnt deal with doin Charity work all the time... doesnt deal with an extreme lack of privacy ... and 3/4 thru his 90 game season... he says himself that its taken a toll on his body...

So while we see them go out onto the field 3 hrs everyday, we miss out on everything else that they have to deal, and of course im not sayin they live a miserable life... but I guarantee 95% of ppl on these forums wouldnt b able to handle it.

All in all their jobs at times becomes alot harder then what anything any of us do.... Imagine have to hop on a plane on average prolly every 4 days and fly all over the country.

So its not everything ppl make it out to be ..... or in the minors dealing with 10 hr bus rides.... these are the things ppl dont see... and if we didnt go to,watch, blog, consume everything baseball has to offer they wouldnt b getting paid anywhere close to what they get paid.... everyday millions of ppl wake up wanting to become baseball players but every yr there are only 1200 players on a MLB roster

I completely agree. What is your point? I should feel bad for ARod? Well I don't.

I saw that as well. Really need some more solid information before I will believe it, but MLBTraderumors.com is stating he signed as well. Likely we'll know the details in the morning and it will be all over ESPN. VERY VERY happy to see that the Nats held fairly strong to their position and that ultimately Boras did not do his client wrong by not singing. Still an outrageous bonus, but at least it wasn't 50mm. Will be interesting to see if they have plans to pitch him out of relief this season as an appetizer for next season.

I agree you never know what Boras may have written into the contract, like a 2010 Opening Day start or something.

i hope he get the call up this year!!! one can dream...my #1 waiver expires at the end of this season

i hope he get the call up this year!!! one can dream...my #1 waiver expires at the end of this season

Wouldn't mind adding him in my keeper as well.

Since the record a draftee is just over 12M with Mark Prior, talk about 40-50M is unrealistic. As the MLB team that drafts Strasburg would receive the #2 overall pick back for 2011 if a deal doesn't get done by Aug. 15, and Strasburg would have to sit out an entire year, the MLB club holds *all* the cards here. Now, they would be foolish to let him go, but the point is, the player loses bigtime as well, and there is no one but the one MLB club that can sign him. So, given that, while it will be a record deal, I can't really see anything beyond 15-18M (which would still be HUGE, given that the normal #1 draftee has gone for 10M or less).

This is much like when the Red Sox won the rights to DiceK, and as negotiations were supposedly at a deadlock after many meetings, the Sox literally told Boras they were leaving the next AM and going back to Boston and hold a press conference declaring they had signed him (or they hadn't, and were moving on), and Dice-K and he could be at the airport, willing to sign their best offer, or wait it out for another season . He was there, bright and early.

The Nats will do the same here - they even did it with Aaron Crow last year, and took this year's #10 pick as a result of walking away. No doubt they will do the same here (And FWIW, the decision to let Crow go was foolish, because it was only over 500K between the final offers, or even less - that's not worth losing a year's worth of development time).

Given that's it's Boras, he'll push it right to the Aug. 15 deadline to get maximum contract value - and given the fiasco with Pedro Alvarez last year (the contract got signed after the deadline, and the club got penalized and the contract voided), both Boras & the club will come to an agreeement in the last week.

While Strasburg is an elite talent, this scenario has played out exactly the same the last 2 years with the Aug. 15 deadline in place (there wasn't a hard deadline set before then). I can't really see it playing it out any differently, except that eventually a record, 15-18M deal gets done, as the Nats & Boras both realize they'll lose out big-time if a deal can't be done, and there are no other options (unlike FA, where Boras can try & create a market of bidders - he can't do that here).

It's covered earlier in this thread (discussion May 6th, page 9 with post above & other replies), but the record for MILB contracts is 12M for Mark Prior. To repeat what was said earlier, Boras can posture all he wants, but the bottom line is that the MLB club holds all the cards.

I'm sticking to the prediction of a record-breaking contract, over 15M, and yes, Strasburg would be min-wage for his first 3 years of MLB service time, then arbitration eligible (unless he gets the Super-2 status after 2 years).

If there is any doubt of the power that the draft ultimately gives teams, Strasburg (and Pedro Alvarez in 2008 & to a lesser extent, Dice-K and the Japanese posting system) should remind us that while the slotting system is an utter joke, in the end, for elite talents (especially from the college system), they still end up having to take the best offer MLB clubs give them. I'm sure he had to look at the Aaron Crow situation from 2008 (and I'm not even suggesting Crow is even close to Strasburg's talent level - he's not - but the financial hit and development time lost surely factored in) and made the right call for a pitcher (much higher risk in breaking down than bats).

It's a win-win for both sides - Strasburg is set for life, and if he's an elite talent as his college career suggests, he will get even more $ down the road. The Nats get their franchise guy - and Boras can point to setting a new bar for #1 picks. The 50M talk was, well, good posturing.

A glimmer of hope for Nats fans....as long as he stays healthy.

is there really a shot at this kid pitching this year in September?

What's the point of him pitching in the majors this season?

I think he's get a few starts in A ball this season, that's about it.