Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

Feel lucky if you are on CBS and could of had the guy in your keeper league weeks ago. ESPN and Yahoo leagues won't add him till he's up in the show next season.

4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)

• 4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)
    • signed Major League contract with Washington 8/17/09
    • $7.5M signing bonus
      (paid in 3 installments of $2.5M, 9/1/09, 1/10/10, 1/10/11)
    • 09:$0.4M (pro-rated), 10:$2M, 11:$2.5M, 12:$3M

[*]drafted 2009 (1-1) (San Diego State)

[*]agent: Scott Boras

[*]ML service:

The Nationals have already said he won't be in the Major Leagues until next year. To answer your question he won't be in the Yahoo player pool until next year.

Joshj do you have a link stating that he will definitely not be up this year?

I have read that it was not decided as of early AM.

Joshj do you have a link stating that he will definitely not be up this year?

I have read that it was not decided as of early AM.

Rotoworld is now quoting sources saying he won't pitch again this year before the Arizona Fall Instructional League and won't pitch in the majors before next year.

well at least they are announcing it so that people can use their #1 waiver on someone else rather than waiting...of course how awesome would it be if they decided to change their mind after you took some scrub with that WW pick B)

Boras was interviewed on WFAN earlier this morning, stating Strasburg will not pitch in the majors in 2009. Boras also stated that Strasburg's innings pitched should be closely monitored until the age of 24.

So why do people think Strasburg should be rushed? He hasn't done a damn thing yet. Let him prove himself before he thinks about starting in the majors.

Dustin Ackley was added to the ESPN Database but not Strasburg. I called up and the guy said his supervisor is telling him that Strasburg will be added after he throws a big league pitch, which will be next year. It is not fair at all as now keeper leagues get a shot at Ackley but not Strasburg? If you add one, you have to add the other. Just not right...

Dustin Ackley was added to the ESPN Database but not Strasburg. I called up and the guy said his supervisor is telling him that Strasburg will be added after he throws a big league pitch, which will be next year. It is not fair at all as now keeper leagues get a shot at Ackley but not Strasburg? If you add one, you have to add the other. Just not right...

I don't see Ackley anywhere

I don't see Ackley anywhere

It seems like he was deleted. He was there this morning and I saw him on my league's homepage on the right side of the screen. When I asked the guy why Ackley was added and not Strasburg, he said people have asked him that before. My guess is it was not right to have him and not Saint Stephen, so they went and deleted Ackley. Trust me, he was there earlier.

It seems like he was deleted. He was there this morning and I saw him on my league's homepage on the right side of the screen. When I asked the guy why Ackley was added and not Strasburg, he said people have asked him that before. My guess is it was not right to have him and not Saint Stephen, so they went and deleted Ackley. Trust me, he was there earlier.

I can 100% back this up. He WAS there. I emailed ESPN as well and I know of 3 other people who either called or emailed. Apparently they noticed their mistake and removed Ackley as well? As much as I like using ESPN for fantasy, the way they handle minor leaguers is horrible. But it's better than Yahoo.

Is everyone ready for the hype that will be thiis guy's spring training? As we all know this guy's ceiling could place him as one of the greatest SP of all time. No pressure huh? How high would you draft him? Are you concerned the Nats will rush him and he blows out his arm? So many questions and yet so much curiosity and excitement to see if this guy lives up to the hype. 103MPH fastball is something you see once every 25 years.

BTW..Is ESPN going to make this player available before the upcoming season for keeper leagues to pick him up?

i don't think i'd draft him much before the 5th round. taking any rookie pitcher in a draft is a HUGE risk.

I'd reach for him in a keeper league. But not sure I'd go higher than 8th round in a 12 teamer. Seeing what happened to Zimmerman this past year makes me extremely nervous. I've only seen clips on youtube of him and he doesn't seem to have a particularly violent delivery. Just given the state of the Nats needing desperately to sell tickets and generate fan interest he will definitely be in the rotation I'd wager. He'd probably be put on a 150-160 IP limit too. But even if that happens and he's netting you 9-10 K's per 9 innings I'd want a piece of that short and long term.

Is everyone ready for the hype that will be thiis guy's spring training? As we all know this guy's ceiling could place him as one of the greatest SP of all time. No pressure huh? How high would you draft him? Are you concerned the Nats will rush him and he blows out his arm? So many questions and yet so much curiosity and excitement to see if this guy lives up to the hype. 103MPH fastball is something you see once every 25 years.

BTW..Is ESPN going to make this player available before the upcoming season for keeper leagues to pick him up?

In redraft leagues, I'd be concerned about another issue - the Nats won't be playoff contenders, so they could use the "needs more seasoning" excuse to delay his service time long enough to delay when he is eligible for free agency (at least 2 weeks for free agency, 2 months or so for Super-2 arbitration - but for reasons I'll explain below, I don't worry about delaying arbitration as much as delaying free agency).

The one nice thing about his contract is that it provides a set salary for his first 4 years - so it seems to make the Super-2 avoidance strategy (used with Tommy Hanson, Matt Wieters and other star prospects last year by many teams) worthless, since they have locked in his 3rd & 4th years (the first 2 years of arbitration if he makes Super-2, or the first year if they forego this - so at the end of the contract, he would still be in arbitration years either way with same base salary from the previous year). I wouldn't rule out a short AAA stint of a month to give them another year of arbitration eligibility but still under WAS's control before free agency (2014, 2015, 2016, not just 2014-15). Plus, since his salary is already set for 2010, whether he makes the club in ST or waits a month, the Nats gain a full year of when he's likely at peak performance, at a time where they would be far more likely to contend (they won't be this year with or without him - the one SP who got the full season in at an elite level, Rick Porcello, was on a team that had a legitimate playoff chance - so sacrificing the lost year in 2015 was worth trying to win in 2009 - that doesn't apply here). While this has no bearing on long-term leagues, in redraft leagues, it's an important concern - along with the rookie adjustments he will have to make.

Make no mistake, the highest ceiling SP we've seen in a long time, though.

Based on how they handled rookies and prospects last year, it is highly likely that he will be included in the player pool when ESPN makes 2010 league pages available (early February).

i don't think i'd draft him much before the 5th round. taking any rookie pitcher in a draft is a HUGE risk.

If you have to draft Strasburg in the 5th round or even 6th round he won't be worth it... I wouldn't touch Strasburg in the first 10 rounds. Unless he is absolutely lights out in spring training.... Even then that doesn't mean he'll be a top 100 fantasy player, there's always going to be a bit of risk envovled with Strasburg...

Looked at a list of previous #1's overalls...since from 1986-2006 (so I give SOME time a guy to develop), 7 guys lived up to it...much better %age than I would have guessed. There's been some epic busts too, but odds are decent that SS can be a star. Draft LATE in redrafts (it's rare a rookie pitcher is ever worth much...and will be limited by IP), but the mid-rounds for Strasburg sounds right if you balance out the risk with more known quantities.

Good luck Nats, it would be nice to see that franchise not suck.

Looked at a list of previous #1's overalls...since from 1986-2006 (so I give SOME time a guy to develop), 7 guys lived up to it...much better %age than I would have guessed. There's been some epic busts too, but odds are decent that SS can be a star. Draft LATE in redrafts (it's rare a rookie pitcher is ever worth much...and will be limited by IP), but the mid-rounds for Strasburg sounds right if you balance out the risk with more known quantities.

Good luck Nats, it would be nice to see that franchise not suck.

Strasburg isn't even in the same discussion as many of those players. Yes, pitchers are tougher to predict, but a guy like Hochevar wasn't the best SP prospect the year he went #1 overall, Verlander(#2 overall I believe) was. Strasburg is "light-years" ahead of Hochevar and many of those guys as far as ceiling goes. His pure stuff/control combo rank higher than any other prospect that I've ever heard of. He's also got good makeup from everything I've read.

For 2010 only, the best we could "reasonably" hope for is:

160 inn. 10-5 179 k's 1.15 WHIP 3.15 ERA

That's terrific, but not 1st/2nd round fantasy draft material. His chances of only pitching a portion of the year in the majors certainly need to be considered a 3-5 round hit. His downside of either struggling w/ control or just "not being ready" should also add a hit in draft rounds.

That said, if it's a long-term keeper league, where owners hang onto their SP's, then this is your only chance to get him. It may also be the opportunity to own a Lincecum-esk 2009 line for the next 10-14 years! He could simply dominate year-in, year-out. He comes w/ a higher than normal injury risk due to his arm action.

His tools rank BETTER than imaginary prospect Sid Finch. Scouts came up w/ a pretend "dream" prospect and gave him a FB/Curve/Change combo w/ good control and talked about how incredible such a prospect would be......Strasburg ranked above this "IMAGINARY" prospect!!!!

Strasburg isn't even in the same discussion as many of those players. Yes, pitchers are tougher to predict, but a guy like Hochevar wasn't the best SP prospect the year he went #1 overall, Verlander(#2 overall I believe) was. Strasburg is "light-years" ahead of Hochevar and many of those guys as far as ceiling goes. His pure stuff/control combo rank higher than any other prospect that I've ever heard of. He's also got good makeup from everything I've read.

For 2010 only, the best we could "reasonably" hope for is:

160 inn. 10-5 179 k's 1.15 WHIP 3.15 ERA

That's terrific, but not 1st/2nd round fantasy draft material. His chances of only pitching a portion of the year in the majors certainly need to be considered a 3-5 round hit. His downside of either struggling w/ control or just "not being ready" should also add a hit in draft rounds.

That said, if it's a long-term keeper league, where owners hang onto their SP's, then this is your only chance to get him. It may also be the opportunity to own a Lincecum-esk 2009 line for the next 10-14 years! He could simply dominate year-in, year-out. He comes w/ a higher than normal injury risk due to his arm action.

His tools rank BETTER than imaginary prospect Sid Finch. Scouts came up w/ a pretend "dream" prospect and gave him a FB/Curve/Change combo w/ good control and talked about how incredible such a prospect would be......Strasburg ranked above this "IMAGINARY" prospect!!!!

I still would tread lightly. A prospect is a prospect, nothing is guaranteed. But you will have to reach in a keeper league...just counter him with an established guy.

Sidd Finch would own Strasburg B)

I still would tread lightly. A prospect is a prospect, nothing is guaranteed. But you will have to reach in a keeper league...just counter him with an established guy.

Sidd Finch would own Strasburg B)

LOL....you're right, a prospect is a prospect, and you never know when they won't adjust to the bigs(I'm talking to you Delmon Young!). Strasburg could dominate in the majors by June, or could blow out his arm w/ his straining delivery by then as well. You just don't know! I didn't necessarily disagree w/ much that you said, just that comparing Strasburg to other #1 overall picks is tough since he's considered so much better and more ready than those SP's(maybe w/ the exception of Prior).

In redraft leagues I'll just pass on him and pick him up when someone gets pissed off that he not pitching come early May or gets lit up in the first few starts.

In redraft leagues I'll just pass on him and pick him up when someone gets pissed off that he not pitching come early May or gets lit up in the first few starts.

thats definately the boat i will fall into as well...but in keeper/dynasty leagues he has enormous appeal