Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

LOL....you're right, a prospect is a prospect, and you never know when they won't adjust to the bigs(I'm talking to you Delmon Young!). Strasburg could dominate in the majors by June, or could blow out his arm w/ his straining delivery by then as well. You just don't know! I didn't necessarily disagree w/ much that you said, just that comparing Strasburg to other #1 overall picks is tough since he's considered so much better and more ready than those SP's(maybe w/ the exception of Prior).

Very true...I haven't seen this much hype around a #1 pick in quite sometime! What's nice about Strasburg is that he's not 18 years old. He'll have more polish than a normal #1...but how does college hitting compare to the minors? I don't watch NCAA baseball so I have no idea.

Like I said, I hope he flourishes. Of course, if he does, the Yankees will sign him when he hits free agency. Damn.

Do you think Strasburg will be on the yahoo player list to start the season even if he starts the year in the minors?

Very true...I haven't seen this much hype around a #1 pick in quite sometime! What's nice about Strasburg is that he's not 18 years old. He'll have more polish than a normal #1...but how does college hitting compare to the minors? I don't watch NCAA baseball so I have no idea.

Like I said, I hope he flourishes. Of course, if he does, the Yankees will sign him when he hits free agency. Damn.

Many compare college ball w/ class A minor league games. The tougher college teams having numerous high-A caliber players, while lower-level division 1 college baseball teams could actually be more like rookie-level minor league competition.

Strasburg has faced MLB hitters and done well. He pitched for the US team at the '08 Olympics while still in college. Below is what I could find.

Strasburg lived up to high expectations by leading the league with four wins. He was 4-1 overall with a 4.26 ERA. In 19 innings, he struck out 23 batters.

Not bad for a Junior pitching against grown men.

Here it is fellas,

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8562

Let the bidding begin. I'm not too familiar with the other major sites but here's a heads up for all of you in dynasty/keeper leagues.

It's kinda weird that players like Strasburg, Chapman, Carlos Santana, Scott Sizemore etc are in their database but other top prospects like Heyward, Jennings, Montero, Smoak etc aren't. That they're slow to add prospects has always been the biggest drawback to yahoo. Hopefully that changes someday.

It's kinda weird that players like Strasburg, Chapman, Carlos Santana, Scott Sizemore etc are in their database but other top prospects like Heyward, Jennings, Montero, Smoak etc aren't. That they're slow to add prospects has always been the biggest drawback to yahoo. Hopefully that changes someday.

I agree, how yahoo adds their metabolism is an arbitrary process I feel. Anyone remember the Gordon Beckham debacle lastyear?

I agree, how yahoo adds their metabolism is an arbitrary process I feel. Anyone remember the Gordon Beckham debacle lastyear?

Yep, both Beckham and Porcello were added to the yahoo database later in spring training last year. Since they weren't in the player pool when one of my drafts started we weren't allowed to pick them. They were placed on waivers after the draft instead and I missed out on both players. B)

Yep, both Beckham and Porcello were added to the yahoo database later in spring training last year. Since they weren't in the player pool when one of my drafts started we weren't allowed to pick them. They were placed on waivers after the draft instead and I missed out on both players. B)

That's your league's fault for using Yahoo.....they do this crap every year! Just kidding of course, but there's plenty of viable options out there other than Yahoo. I like Yahoo's ease of use and features, but their baseball rosters are a joke. That's why you have those players available in your league, and just keep a spreadsheet of players on teams that aren't in Yahoo as of yet.

***All you need to do is change your league rules....don't blame Yahoo!***

Draft Strasburg, Ackley or whomever, then add them to the team's roster when they're added to Yahoo. I'm pretty sure guys are added to Yahoo by the time they're called up, which is the first time you'll need them actually on your roster to acrue stats.

Not only that, but Beckham wasn't even put through waivers; our league he went through 4 teams before we realized we needed to have a special waiver process for him.

ESPN opened for business and I immediately checked on Strasburg and he is available off FA to be added. Bigger question is if he's worth keeping? Duh would seem the obvious answer but his status for the upcoming season is probably still up in the air.

Not bad for his first game of the spring, 2IP, 2K, 2H, 0BB, 4/0 Ground Out/Fly out

He seemed good out there. Great velocity but he missed on a lot of pitches... threw only two first-pitch strikes out of 8 batters today. Hey, it's March and that's a great starting point, esp considering how awful the rest of the Nats staff have been so far this Spring.

The strikeout to Miguel Cabrera was nice. Good high rising fastball that must have looked as big as a bowling ball to Cabrera to get him swinging. But the upside down K to finish the inning was the most impressive. With a 3-0 count, 2 nice looking and well place fastballs followed up with the big 12 to 6 breaking ball freezing the batter. Naaaaaasty!

nice start today. I think he threw first pitch strikes to 7 of 11 batters faced. Not shabby.

49 pitches thrown

3 innings

0 ER

2 hits

1 walk

2 k's

nice start today. I think he threw first pitch strikes to 7 of 11 batters faced. Not shabby.

49 pitches thrown

3 innings

2 hits

1 walk

2 k's

....and again got tons of grounders!!!!

(6) groundouts

(1) flyout

....and again got tons of grounders!!!!

(6) groundouts

(1) flyout

B)

After his start today, his line is:

9 inn

8 hits

1 bb

12 k's

even more impressive is:

13 groundouts

0 flyouts!!!

1 popout

If his FB has sink on it, combined w/ an ability to keep the ball down in the zone.....he's going to be sick!

a little deceiving because he gave up two pretty stout homers yesterday, so no flyball OUTS as of yet but certainly a couple of fly balls B)

altogether a nice line, no reason why he cant pitch 160 innings in the majors ala porcello but they should baby him like detroit did (5-6 IP, never more than 100 pitches)

down to AA today

any idea when he will re-join the nationals this year?

before or after asb? or maybe next yr?

i dont know, probably by May 1 - if they keep him in the minors for 20 days it will delay his free agency by 1 year so, foolish not to do it, keep him arbitration eligible for one more year

i dont know, probably by May 1 - if they keep him in the minors for 20 days it will delay his free agency by 1 year so, foolish not to do it, keep him arbitration eligible for one more year

hate to feel i drafted him for nothing this year.

if its may 1st ill def keep him stashed on my bench..

by why AA instead of AAA?

I expect him to dominate AA....possibly go up to AAA(not really necessary at all though), and be called up for good around Memorial Day. He's so good, he could be Super-Two eligible if he's up in early May. That could cost Wash. major $$$.

I regards to flyballs, yes, obviously those 2 HR's were well-hit flyballs, but his numbers show that he doesn't allow many flyballs. HR/FB rates are usually around 10-11% for pitchers. He should be no different. Therefore, the fact only 4-7 balls were hit in the air over 9 inn(don't know about whether hits were FB's...usually not), that leads me to think his HR's allowed should be fairly low. His K-rates will always be high(barring injury), so a low FB-rate would really minimize HR's!

Think about this; he's already shown the following abilities in college/AZ fall league/few spring innings:

-high K-rates

-low BB-rates

-real nice GB/FB%

-low batting avg. against