Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

yeah his contract is more complicated than it seems but basically keeping him down until may 15 is the key, as they could then pay him about $4 mil in 2013 as opposed to whatever his arbitration figure would be (anywhere from 4$-$15 mil, given escalation). plus they will want to limit his wear and tear so might as well have him iron out some kinks against minor leaguers, but there is no way he doesnt come up in may

Given his arm is a ticking timebomb I think any minor league innings are a waste. He'd be the Nats best pitcher at the start of the season, might as well ride him. Unless they're going to send him down to smooth out his delivery, but they don't seem interested in doing that.

Re: his contract, it's pretty simple - it guarantees his wages before he's arbitration eligible - but it still benefits the Nats to delay his service clock (about 2-3 weeks) to get 1 more year of free agency, and to delay the Super-2 arbitration status (that's a variable number - you have to predict if he'll be in the top 17 percent of rookies with over 2 years service time after 2012 to see if he qualifies - so the date changes - lately, keeping players for about 7 weeks will do that - thus the June 1 "magic" date that isn't really set in stone).

Really, with the Nats' future beyond 2010, this wasn't a shocker, and even more telling with Storen going down as well.

yeah i think that point was made already, they dont get the kind of bargain that the DBacks got (i.e. they wont be able to pay him 700K or whatever they would have had to pay Reynolds) because he has a salary of 4.8 million for 2012 - all they will HAVE to pay strasburg is 80% of that, so around 4 million. if he is a Super Two then all bets are off. the part of the deal that confused me at first was realizing that the first year was 2009, rather than this year, which means no arbitration years were bought out.

Will Strasburg be allowed to finish the season out when called up or do they play it safe and shut him down early to limit his innings. At first I figured they would play it safe and shut him down early, maybe by end of August. .However, I saw that Tommy Hanson and Brett ANderson both finisehd the season and pitching into October. Also, Strasburg will draw big crowds. So maybe once hes called up, hell be up for good.

What do you guys think?

it really will depend on what kind of innings he has logged by then, and how he looks on the mound i would think. there is a big difference between laboring through innings and doing it effortlessly

check out sbnation and the nats website...Ill post a link later but they have him around 100 and 150 innings this season with a maybe of being called up in june but who knows

Strasburg makes his pro debut later today. The 2 pm (eastern time) game between the Harrisburg Senators and the Altoona Curve will be streamed live on MLB.com with MiLB Gameday Audio also available. Strasburg is expected to throw 85+ pitches.

I only caught the highlights - but he sure looked dominant, LOL.

Given how his contract works, though, probably the 2 month wait to avoid Super-2 status is likely, given the Nats already committed to this route.

Anyone care to project his 2010 numbers, assuming he is called up to NatsTown in June?

Worth a stash on a bench?

I just realized this thread started 2 years ago haha

Kinda makes ya wonder how long the minors thread for Bryce Harper will be.

Does anyone know when his next start is? Too lazy to look he is coming to CT this weekend was hoping to see him pitch.

Does anyone know when his next start is? Too lazy to look he is coming to CT this weekend was hoping to see him pitch.

His next start is tomorrow Wed 4/21 against Reading. They have a road trip to New Britain coming up but looks like you'll just miss him.

My friend is the announcer for the Harrisburg Senators and he just sent me a text stating "Strasburg's day is over, 5ip 1h 1bb and 6k's. Very solid, pitched to contact, and nothing really hit hard.."

My friend is the announcer for the Harrisburg Senators and he just sent me a text stating "Strasburg's day is over, 5ip 1h 1bb and 6k's. Very solid, pitched to contact, and nothing really hit hard.."

Very nice. That's great to hear. How many pitches in those 5 IPs?

That callup can't come soon enough.

so far tonight.....

2 innings

2 K's

3 ground outs

1 fly out

no hit, walks, or runs (earned or not)

so far tonight.....

2 innings

2 K's

3 ground outs

1 fly out

no hit, walks, or runs (earned or not)

B) hurry June 1

THRU 4 INNINGS:

5 K's

No hits, no walks, no runs

37 pitches - 24 strikes thru 3)

he simply is too good for this level. i am fine with the Nats keeping him down there until June but PLEASE let's stop pretending he needs to be down there for developmental purposes. He is simply so good that his development NEEDSto occur at higher level. plain and simple.

i think he is done for the night.

final line is

5 innings

no hits

6 k's

no walks

threw 64 pitches with 42 strikes. only one ball even left the infield.

he lost his perfect game on some weird passed ball strikeout. not really sure.

either way, i am expecting a call to triple A very soon.

Does anyone have a guess when this guy will be called up. I wanna snatch him up. It is probably the million dollar question this year??