Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

what i want to know is when can i add him in my keeper league. i guess it depends on the rules of the league, but this ventures into uncharted territory - a 'sure thing' player who will be in the majors fast. no one has ever attempted to add an amateur player.

Bowden has made it official and says they'll be drafting Strasburg and expect him to be in the majors in September.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Bowden was fired a few months ago due to a bonus-skimming scandal. Nothing he says is "official". I think he's just trying to stay in the news so he can find another job.

Pierre Becquey of ESPN.com also expects Strasburg to be in the majors in September....

"How confident am I that Stephen Strasburg will pitch in the majors this season? I drafted him for a buck in a deep league that allowed it, and unless I'm given a No. 3 starter in exchange, I'm not trading him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball...tory?id=4121819

Also, ESPN says that he will be available in ESPN leagues the day after the draft.

Also, ESPN says that he will be available in ESPN leagues the day after the draft.

Link please???? This is big information so if he truly will be available, I am not burning my #1 waiver priority. Assume he will go to waivers and not directly to FA? I've sent multiple messages to ESPN Help about the additions of new players post draft, etc... and their answers have been insanely vague.

Link please???? This is big information so if he truly will be available, I am not burning my #1 waiver priority. Assume he will go to waivers and not directly to FA? I've sent multiple messages to ESPN Help about the additions of new players post draft, etc... and their answers have been insanely vague.

In 12 plus years of ESPN fantasy, I've never seen any player just added to the pool. They all have gone through waivers. I can't imagine Strasburg being different. The only question is if/when he gets added.

I dont have a link. It was through an email and then again over the phone.

Here is the email...

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Please be assured that Stephen Strasburg will be added to the player pool very soon after he is drafted and officially active with an MLB team. If you have any further questions or issues, please let us know.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8 am and 1 am EST.

Regards,

Luke

ESPN.com Customer Care

Obviously he would have to clear waivers as any other player added to the system. A woman on the phone told me he could be added on June 10th or 11th and would be placed on waivers. The draft is on the 9th-10th.

I dont have a link. It was through an email and then again over the phone.

Here is the email...

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Please be assured that Stephen Strasburg will be added to the player pool very soon after he is drafted and officially active with an MLB team. If you have any further questions or issues, please let us know.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8 am and 1 am EST.

Regards,

Luke

ESPN.com Customer Care

Obviously he would have to clear waivers as any other player added to the system. A woman on the phone told me he could be added on June 10th or 11th and would be placed on waivers. The draft is on the 9th-10th.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully that means I only have to sit on my #1 waiver until June 10 or 11th. Then I will gladly burn it on Mr. Strasburg. The email is very helpful as well! Thanks again.

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully that means I only have to sit on my #1 waiver until June 10 or 11th. Then I will gladly burn it on Mr. Strasburg. The email is very helpful as well! Thanks again.

no problem man. I am lucky, in my league if a guy is not in the system, you can make a post that says you claim him and just have an empty spot on your roster for him. I claimed Strasburg this week, because I know he will be hyped real soon.

Yesterday they had a small special on Strasburg on SportsCenter. They were asking him about the possibility of playing in the big leagues before the minors. I think it is a long shot, but it is something to think about. That would be sick!

But all signs indicate, even if signed quickly (which probably won't happen) that he will start in the minors.

MLB.com Article -- http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Not sure if anyone puts any faith in ESPN's analysts but Nate and Mathew Berry were discussing Strasburg and they seem to think that the Nats and Boras are both under extreme pressure to get this deal done so the deal will happen almost immediately or not at all and the former seems more likely after losing Crowe last year. They believe Strasburg gets 12 major league starts. I'm in an NL-only keeper that I plan to start saving my waiver priority now for the draft.

Not sure if anyone puts any faith in ESPN's analysts but Nate and Mathew Berry were discussing Strasburg and they seem to think that the Nats and Boras are both under extreme pressure to get this deal done so the deal will happen almost immediately or not at all and the former seems more likely after losing Crowe last year. They believe Strasburg gets 12 major league starts. I'm in an NL-only keeper that I plan to start saving my waiver priority now for the draft.

Link? Guys, please add links so we can read the stories or analysis for ourselves.

Using your #1 waiver priority in a keeper league is a no brainer, right?

Weird glitch there.

In any case, on behalf of the posters who've contributed the 8+ pages, I'd say the answer is a unanimous yes when he becomes available.

P.S. As we are in MILB forum, I am assuming this is a deep keeper/dynasty scenario, of course.

I'd say yes but it kind of depends on how many keepers and who you already have as a keeper. If it's a 3 player keeper you probably already have 3 players your keeping. If your league has 10 teams and I'd say as little as 6 keepers I'd say yes though.

If it is the Nationals who do draft him, what advantage would they have in letting him start any MLB games this season? They're pretty much out of it now let alone when he could be eligible to help so please help me understand what they would have to gain by bringing him up this season? I can see several reasons to not bring him up such as trying to protect him, get more "seasoning" or development. Also, wouldn't they want to do anything to not have his clock start toward free agency? Does it work that way? Price made sense last year because it helped the Rays get to the World Series but I'm not so sure here. Believe me, I want Strasburg and want to see him pitch this year but I'm having trouble seeing the logic of the Nats doing just that.

If it is the Nationals who do draft him, what advantage would they have in letting him start any MLB games this season? They're pretty much out of it now let alone when he could be eligible to help so please help me understand what they would have to gain by bringing him up this season? I can see several reasons to not bring him up such as trying to protect him, get more "seasoning" or development. Also, wouldn't they want to do anything to not have his clock start toward free agency? Does it work that way? Price made sense last year because it helped the Rays get to the World Series but I'm not so sure here. Believe me, I want Strasburg and want to see him pitch this year but I'm having trouble seeing the logic of the Nats doing just that.

Just thinking out loud here... but how about:

1. Excitement factor = ticket sales and a general feeling of the team is doing anything possible to win

2. Experience for Strasburg

3. Potential 1-2 of Strasburg and Zimmerman for the next 5-10 years

4. Big Deal (40mm plus) = immediate need for return

5. He's major league ready

Any other thoughts?

Just thinking out loud here... but how about:

1. Excitement factor = ticket sales and a general feeling of the team is doing anything possible to win

2. Experience for Strasburg

3. Potential 1-2 of Strasburg and Zimmerman for the next 5-10 years

4. Big Deal (40mm plus) = immediate need for return

5. He's major league ready

Any other thoughts?

Boras could write it into the contract.

Since the record a draftee is just over 12M with Mark Prior, talk about 40-50M is unrealistic. As the MLB team that drafts Strasburg would receive the #2 overall pick back for 2011 if a deal doesn't get done by Aug. 15, and Strasburg would have to sit out an entire year, the MLB club holds *all* the cards here. Now, they would be foolish to let him go, but the point is, the player loses bigtime as well, and there is no one but the one MLB club that can sign him. So, given that, while it will be a record deal, I can't really see anything beyond 15-18M (which would still be HUGE, given that the normal #1 draftee has gone for 10M or less).

This is much like when the Red Sox won the rights to DiceK, and as negotiations were supposedly at a deadlock after many meetings, the Sox literally told Boras they were leaving the next AM and going back to Boston and hold a press conference declaring they had signed him (or they hadn't, and were moving on), and Dice-K and he could be at the airport, willing to sign their best offer, or wait it out for another season . He was there, bright and early.

The Nats will do the same here - they even did it with Aaron Crow last year, and took this year's #10 pick as a result of walking away. No doubt they will do the same here (And FWIW, the decision to let Crow go was foolish, because it was only over 500K between the final offers, or even less - that's not worth losing a year's worth of development time).

Given that's it's Boras, he'll push it right to the Aug. 15 deadline to get maximum contract value - and given the fiasco with Pedro Alvarez last year (the contract got signed after the deadline, and the club got penalized and the contract voided), both Boras & the club will come to an agreeement in the last week.

While Strasburg is an elite talent, this scenario has played out exactly the same the last 2 years with the Aug. 15 deadline in place (there wasn't a hard deadline set before then). I can't really see it playing it out any differently, except that eventually a record, 15-18M deal gets done, as the Nats & Boras both realize they'll lose out big-time if a deal can't be done, and there are no other options (unlike FA, where Boras can try & create a market of bidders - he can't do that here).

I agree RRF that it's highly unlikely he's signed far in advance of the deadline. Even if he signs by the beginning of August it only leaves a couple months. Unless he makes his first professional start in the majors there's absolutely no way Matthew Berry is even close on that 12 start number. He's essentially worthless in all but the deepest redrafts. No need to stash him all year for the potential of some end of the year starts.

There's also the issue of how many innings the Nats will want him to throw coming off of his college season. They're surely not going to want him to go much over the amount of innings he threw last season. Giving him a substantial number of starts at any level would seem to be highly unlikely. He may be brought up to see some September action which will be huge in keeper/dynasty leagues that allow waiver pick-ups of entry draftees going forward, but in redrafts I wouldn't get too excited about him.

I also believe 12 starts is a crazy statement. In regards to him sitting out a year he could go back to college as he's only a junior. I would LOVE to see Crowe fall to #10 and be drafted by the Nats again and see what his stance is at that point, but that's another subject. I'm definitely getting him on 6/10/09 as my NL only league allows us to draft someone so long as their rights are owned by an NL team. I am of course only really looking at next year as I feel he's in the rotation without much if any minor league time.

NO HITTER!!!

17 K's tonight.

WOW.

No questioning the talent is huge!!