Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

No questioning the talent is huge!!

I have to admit I was becoming a bit jaded the last few times he was on the mound. Eh... double digit K's, whatever. But to throw a no-hitter to top it off is just ridiculous. It's one thing to see a player have a great game here and there, and put up some big statistics, but he just seems to get better and better.

The bar is quite high now, so, I hope he can deal with all the pressure that's going to be laid on his shoulders... This is very exciting for baseball...

This is real right? Please tell me there is a youtube video or something I can watch..

I have to admit I was becoming a bit jaded the last few times he was on the mound. Eh... double digit K's, whatever. But to throw a no-hitter to top it off is just ridiculous. It's one thing to see a player have a great game here and there, and put up some big statistics, but he just seems to get better and better.

The bar is quite high now, so, I hope he can deal with all the pressure that's going to be laid on his shoulders... This is very exciting for baseball...

I don't think anything he does from here on out in college could really raise the bar too much. I try and pay attention somewhat to college baseball and it's been quite a while since a guy has gotten this kind of hype. The Olympic team, which was a veritable who's who of minor league talent, selected Strasburg and Strasburg was basically the ace. Tony Gwynn, one of the greatest for average hitters to ever live, gushes about him like a school girl. He's inevitably going to sign the biggest contract ever signed by an entry draftee. Not to mention what other college player even has a thread on this forum much less a thread with this much of a following? While a 17 K no hitter is massively impressive, I don't think it's got anything on the pressure he's going to face from the hype machine that's been in motion for quite some time.

This is real right? Please tell me there is a youtube video or something I can watch..

Here's a grainy youtube of his last pitch. Not really anything worth watching as far as seeing him as a prospect, but definitely shows the excitement of him notching the no-no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD29KcjIQ88

Here's a grainy youtube of his last pitch. Not really anything worth watching as far as seeing him as a prospect, but definitely shows the excitement of him notching the no-no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD29KcjIQ88

Awesome... thanks. #1 waiver priority in 2 out of my 3 keeper leagues. IF he signs, he's mine... For the love of the game Boras, let this kid sign... you owe us one for Manny anyway.

Awesome... thanks. #1 waiver priority in 2 out of my 3 keeper leagues. IF he signs, he's mine... For the love of the game Boras, let this kid sign... you owe us one for Manny anyway.

I firmly believe he will sign. I can't see him wanting to have to play independent/MWC ball while he could be on the fast track to the MLB. No team will pick him if they're not prepared to pay a record setting salary for an entry draftee.

I firmly believe he will sign. I can't see him wanting to have to play independent/MWC ball while he could be on the fast track to the MLB. No team will pick him if they're not prepared to pay a record setting salary for an entry draftee.

I completely agree.

I completely agree.

He's going to be a major leaguer, there is no doubt about it for the aforementioned reasons but also, if Scott Boras goes around parading for a $50 million deal, I highly doubt a club like the Yankees would shy away. I know they had a fiasco with Boras and Arod, but I'd have to believe they'd put egos aside to sign the best prospect in the last 10 years.

I still firmly believe Strasburg will go to the Nats, but let's say he doesn't and Boras is adamant about his $50 million...if the Nats pass, I can't see a lot of others passing.

Given that Strasbourg would have to re-enter the draft in 2010 with no guarantees of big $, it really doesn't matter what Boras *says*, the Nats will simply haggle with Boras, and then come Aug. 13/14, will come in with their best offer, and tell Boras - "we'll take the #2 overall pick next year in 2010 if your client doesn't want to sign the biggest draft contract in history, and your client can go back to San Diego State for 1 more year".

Since drafting Strasbourg gives exclusive draft rights and leaves no leverage for Boras (especially since teams get a compensatory draft pick *at the same slot but 1 spot behind* in the 1st round if they don't get signed, not at the end - the so-called "sandwich" picks), it creates complete leverage for the MLB teams. It's why the Nats walked away from Aaron Crow last year at #9 - they now have the #10 pick. I thought that was incredibly stupid because the difference in $ involved wasn't worth burning a year of waiting (it was 500k), but if Boras wants to get ridiculous for 30/40/50M, the Nats would then have financial reason to say, "take it or leave it" - and given the risk to pitchers, there's an *excellent* chance Strasbourg will leap at a 15M-18M guaranteed $$ contract......especially since there won't be alternate offers. If they lose Strasbourg because Boras insists on a $ figure that no one believes is reasonable, then they keep the #2 pick overall for the next season. But, given that it is Boras, no doubt this drama will play out right until the Aug. 15th deadline - but unlike last year with Alvarez, realizing both sides won't get extensions, expect a deal done by the afternoon/evening, not near the actual deadline.

Can't really see any other scenario but Nats-Strasbourg signing around Aug. 15 for the above reasons.

he will be signed by the draft . Boras and Strassburg biggest demand is to pitching in the majors by the summer.

He will sign for less if they promote him so he can start working toward his free agency

time to start throwing dynasty leagues to get this guy?

No cause if you throw than you would become very very uncool. "Play for the future" instead.

he will be signed by the draft . Boras and Strassburg biggest demand is to pitching in the majors by the summer.

He will sign for less if they promote him so he can start working toward his free agency

Do you have a source for any of this? I don't see any recent precedence for a guy to throw a full season of college ball and then immediately get thrust into a starting role with a big league team. Maybe you can refresh my memory as far as a guy that's done it. Strasburg is special no question, but why would a team like Washington negotiate to start him immediately? According to SDSU's site he's already thrown 87+ innings this year. Odds are he starts in their final series and then again in the MWC tournament which pushes him over 100 IP. If they make the NCAA tournament he's up at least another 7 or so IP. A deep run could have him up significantly. Most teams would want to cap a guy coming straight from college's IP at 150 max. That would give him less than 50 professional IP this year. I can't see him making more than 5 starts at the MLB level no matter what his contract demands.

Out of curiosity, if Strasburg is drafted by WAS and then subsequently signed in August, but let's say he's not called upon to pitch, will ESPN recognize him as a player in the bigs and add him to waivers?

Out of curiosity, if Strasburg is drafted by WAS and then subsequently signed in August, but let's say he's not called upon to pitch, will ESPN recognize him as a player in the bigs and add him to waivers?

Unsure. Generally a player has to appear in the Majors, but there's no set rule and there's been talk that he's going to be added to the player pool after the draft.

I'll agree with the user above who mentioned that he pitches as early as August. It's going to be almost impossible to land a $50 million contract...Boras will be extremely lucky to even get $20 million. My guess is there will be a contract demand to bring him up to the MLB where he'll be eligible for arbitration at an earlier date.

Strasburg won't even be a top 10 pitcher in the minors next year. There are plenty of guys who are flashing great potential who supersede what Strasburg has done against mid-level college competition. Strasburg really needs to put in a full season in the minors before he can be considered a top 10, let alone a #1, pitching prospect. Keep in mind, I just traded Ryan Doumit and Rich Hill for him to the team who is hot on my heels in my league, so I LOVE him, but let's not get all nerdy about him just yet! B)

Was reading some threads in the past on him, this is pretty funny. I understand we all make mistakes, but nevertheless funny.

Added to CBSsports on 5/14

Saw that a guy in our dynasty league has been waiting about a year with his #1 Waiver Priority just to claim Strasburg, surprised CBS put him in so early considering he has not signed yet.

He clears waivers in both my fantasy leagues tonight and I'm sure I'll have plenty of people who didn't realize and will be hating me tomorrow. Is it unethical to sign a guy in an NL only league before he is even signed? Nevermind I don't need an answer to that cause IDC!

Saw that a guy in our dynasty league has been waiting about a year with his #1 Waiver Priority just to claim Strasburg, surprised CBS put him in so early considering he has not signed yet.

I'm downright shocked that CBS already has him in the free agent pool about to clear waivers. I've been sitting on the #1 priority since the draft and I don't intend to burn it on anyone except Strasburg. If he never makes it to the ESPN waiver list, then I'll be sitting on my #1 for the entire year. I wonder what prompted CBS to add him to the player pool?

I'm downright shocked that CBS already has him in the free agent pool about to clear waivers. I've been sitting on the #1 priority since the draft and I don't intend to burn it on anyone except Strasburg. If he never makes it to the ESPN waiver list, then I'll be sitting on my #1 for the entire year. I wonder what prompted CBS to add him to the player pool?

CBSsports blew up adding Strasburg to the player pool. There's a front page story about him now. They say so many fantasy owners requested him to be added they couldn't hold back any longer. Here's the catch though. Since he's unsigned he can't be held in minor league player spots at this point. Not that I really care but that knocks Brett Myers from my 6th SP (league limit). Still hoping the guy with the #1 priority doesn't notice he was added or doesn't care figuring he won't be up this year.

He's been phenomenal in college so far this season and buster olney said hes talked to scouts and theyve said hes better than aj burnett RIGHT NOW, and that hes one of the best pitching prospects of all time. ive also heard some whispers that he could skip the minor leagues and pitch in the majors this season. all this hype surrounding him sounds like it could be too much... is it worth saving a top waiver priority for him once he gets the call?

i would say this kid is definitely worth taking a risk on. his potential is astounding. heres a pretty good yahoo article on him: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-strasburg032409

the article contains some ridiculous numbers of his but one that they dont mention is his unheard of 16.6 K/9 rate. good lord

i would say this kid is definitely worth taking a risk on. his potential is astounding. heres a pretty good yahoo article on him: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-strasburg032409

the article contains some ridiculous numbers of his but one that they dont mention is his unheard of 16.6 K/9 rate. good lord

Current stats available at:

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/s...ativeStats.html

The regular season is over; he may pitch once or twice in the playoffs. Final regular season stats:

13 starts, 12 wins, two shutouts (one no-hitter), 1.34 ERA

94 1/3 IP, 54 hits, 18 walks, 174 Ks (16.6 K/9 just short of Ryan Wagner's 16.8 NCAA division 1 record)

353 batters faced, opponents' line of .167 / .212 / .231

by contrast, Pedro Martinez's season for the ages in 2000: .167 / .213 / .259, against major leaguers in Fenway

Within the context of NCAA baseball, Strasburg's season is truly among the all-time great. But the question is context -- was his competition this year any stronger than Madison Bumgarner's last year? No doubt he is a top-5 pitching prospect, but I'm still not convinced he's #1 overall.