Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

Current stats available at:

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/s...ativeStats.html

The regular season is over; he may pitch once or twice in the playoffs. Final regular season stats:

13 starts, 12 wins, two shutouts (one no-hitter), 1.34 ERA

94 1/3 IP, 54 hits, 18 walks, 174 Ks (16.6 K/9 just short of Ryan Wagner's 16.8 NCAA division 1 record)

353 batters faced, opponents' line of .167 / .212 / .231

by contrast, Pedro Martinez's season for the ages in 2000: .167 / .213 / .259, against major leaguers in Fenway

Within the context of NCAA baseball, Strasburg's season is truly among the all-time great. But the question is context -- was his competition this year any stronger than Madison Bumgarner's last year? No doubt he is a top-5 pitching prospect, but I'm still not convinced he's #1 overall.

There's pretty much no way the Mountain West can compare even to A ball. Surely there's some kids that are going to get drafted, but they're mixed in with a lot that won't. What you're failing to mention though is no one got to bring an aluminum bat to the plate to face Bumgarner. That makes a huge difference. If Strasburg were to be pitching to college players with wooden bats I can't fathom what his line may look like. When you compare his stats with other recent top college arms like Lince and Verlander, I think his still stand out. I'm not saying he's better than Lince or Verlander, but I'm definitely thinking calling him the #1 pitching prospect isn't far out of the way if at all. You make great points, but the aluminum bat factor has to be brought into any comparison of a college player vs. a pro.

There's pretty much no way the Mountain West can compare even to A ball. Surely there's some kids that are going to get drafted, but they're mixed in with a lot that won't. What you're failing to mention though is no one got to bring an aluminum bat to the plate to face Bumgarner. That makes a huge difference. If Strasburg were to be pitching to college players with wooden bats I can't fathom what his line may look like. When you compare his stats with other recent top college arms like Lince and Verlander, I think his still stand out. I'm not saying he's better than Lince or Verlander, but I'm definitely thinking calling him the #1 pitching prospect isn't far out of the way if at all. You make great points, but the aluminum bat factor has to be brought into any comparison of a college player vs. a pro.

I generally think of low-A ball as 18 and 19 and 20 year olds, comparable to a second-tier college conference, and I assume top-tier college is similar to high-A. But I may be off in that estimation; it's purely a guess on my part.

Good point about aluminum bats. Anyone know of any studies that would explain the difference in offensive stats due to aluminum versus wood?

I'm thinking it doesn't matter much for SS, since he misses so many bats. Dude only gave up 3 HR and a total of 13 extra-base hits on the season, so I can't imaging that hitting the ball hard happened very often against SS. I guess a few line-drive singles become broken-bat flairs to the infield. But let's face it, when fewer than 50% of all opposing hitters even put the ball in play (about 46% K, 8% BB / HBP, 46% put ball in play), the aluminum can't be that much help!

I generally think of low-A ball as 18 and 19 and 20 year olds, comparable to a second-tier college conference, and I assume top-tier college is similar to high-A. But I may be off in that estimation; it's purely a guess on my part.

I think you're right, I've always heard of top conferences, such as the SEC or ACC as being compared to High-A ball. You will see a lot of top college prospects go to High A-ball to begin with, although guys like Smoak and Beckham started off in AA this year (though I should note each got a very small amount of games at A-ball last season).

The WAC isn't the SEC or ACC, but SDSU did play some strong opponents mixed in with their conference schedule. I suppose low A is a reasonable approximation. Of course, if a pitcher threw up Strasburg's line in low-A, he'd be a real phenom.

I suppose low A is a reasonable approximation. Of course, if a pitcher threw up Strasburg's line in low-A, he'd be a real phenom.

I suppose if a pitcher threw up Strasburg's line in low-A, his momma would have had to name him Madison.

(except for the H/IP and Ops Avg, Bumgarner's Sally league numbers are exceptionally similar to Strasburg's on a rate basis)

I suppose if a pitcher threw up Strasburg's line in low-A, his momma would have had to name him Madison.

(except for the H/IP and Ops Avg, Bumgarner's Sally league numbers are exceptionally similar to Strasburg's on a rate basis)

well, Bumgarner was a little short of 16 Ks per 9.

Strasburg Left the Game Early Today...Nothing Serious. He left in the eighth inning with a cramp in his back. Pitching coach says he's fine.

Strasburg struck out a season-low six over 7 2/3 scoreless innings in SDSU’s 2-1 win.

Link to BA Article

Don't sell the MW too short. They do have the #4 team in the country, my alma mater, CSU Fullerton. Go Titans!

Don't sell the MW too short. They do have the #4 team in the country, my alma mater, CSU Fullerton. Go Titans!

I think you mean Big West. I don't recall my alma mater where Strasburg attends playing conference games vs the Titans B)

Best team in the MWC this year is TCU at 8th in the RPI (Fullerton is first, but not in the MWC). Where it goes down hill quick is other than SDSU (44th) the next team from the MWC is BYU at 62 and then New Mexico at 80. No other teams in the top 100. Air Force for example who he threw the no-hitter against is 282 out of a possible 302 teams.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2009MBArpi1.html

I'm not extremely familiar with the other top prospects in the conference, but I'd have to guess there's probably not a whole lot of top notch guys. Generally the SEC, PAC-10, ACC, and Big 12 would be where the majority are concentrated.

I do have to say that I don't think it matters a whole lot. Most lineups are going to look foolish against him. I wasn't really condemning the MWC to say I don't think a ton of Strasburg, more so because I don't think it's necessarily fair to call the caliber of guys he's facing on par with the guy's Bumgarner is facing (professional baseball players). That said, even though he's missing a ton of bats the aluminum difference probably negates a lot of the difference in the talent of the opposition.

A lot of words to basically say: Stephen Strasburg is definitely, in my opinion, in the conversation for top pitching prospect already, but he's not necessarily playing the best college baseball has to offer on a daily basis.

He is pitching on TV right now on ESPNEWS.

EDIT: ESPNews has the pitch by pitch coverage of him and I think ESPN Classic has the full game.

Ked up the first batter gave up a homer in the second AB this guy is a bum.

3rd batter single up the middle.

Got out of the inning.

1 IP 2 Ks 3 H one of them being a homer which was a solo shot.

Looks good..his fastball seems to come out of nowhere. Reminds me so much of Mark Prior, stuff wise. B)

Looks good..his fastball seems to come out of nowhere. Reminds me so much of Mark Prior, stuff wise. B)

Do not mention that name ever again in this thread please.

Ked up the side run scored because of two wild pitches and a close play at first seems a bit shaky to start off.

Is this his first nationally televised game? Could be nerves...but there was play earlier that I think his 3B could've made.

Hey, he even has high socks like Mark Prior, Gary! B)

Is this his first nationally televised game? Could be nerves...but there was play earlier that I think his 3B could've made.

Hey, he even has high socks like Mark Prior, Gary! B)

I think it is not positive and high socks is the way to go look good first win second.

I feel like a lot of the hits off of this guy would not be hits in wood bat leagues. i see some of these guys hit balls off their thumbs that would absolutely shatter bats

just something to take into consideration when he enters the minors

Last I saw he gave up and HR and two singles in the first inning.

It's airing on ESPN Classic and I don't have it.