Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

Jerry Sands 1B/OF LAD

I'm not sure about an impending call-up, but this guy doesn't seem to get much respect. He wasn't in the BA or BP top 100 for 2011, but he's killed the ball at every level. Is there something I'm missing? Some of the guys rated above him haven't come close to matching his production (and never will). I know there were some questions surrounding his fielding, but from what I've gathered he's got a serviceable glove. He had a solid showing in the AFL and he also has some speed. Is this just a case of the experts missing on a guy, or is there a legitimate reason for him being rated lower than so many other prospects? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about an impending call-up, but this guy doesn't seem to get much respect. He wasn't in the BA or BP top 100 for 2011, but he's killed the ball at every level. Is there something I'm missing? Some of the guys rated above him haven't come close to matching his production (and never will). I know there were some questions surrounding his fielding, but from what I've gathered he's got a serviceable glove. He had a solid showing in the AFL and he also has some speed. Is this just a case of the experts missing on a guy, or is there a legitimate reason for him being rated lower than so many other prospects? Thanks in advance.

I've been wondering this since last summer myself. In my minor's draft last July I had to decide between him and Belt. Obviously there's been reason to feel regret at missing out on Belt, but I've been pretty dang happy with what Sands has been doing too. He hits for power, walks, has some speed, has made good adjustments, is praised for being a 'smart' hitter, etc. He also has what seems to be two possible paths to MLB, in LF or replacing an erroding Loney. Looking through some top 100 lists, I'd take him over a good 2/3rds of the guys ahead of him without thought.

The top 100 is based on all potential and hype they tend to look past the numbers with most guys. Sands wasnt a high draft pick (no hype) and isnt a 5 tool threat. Some guys that come to mind with great minor league numbers and never any respect is OF Micah Hoffpauir for the cubs who has always put up good numbers, in 08 he hit .362 with 25 hrs and 100 rbis and more recently Allen Craig for the cards who hit .322 with 26 homers in 09 and hit .320 with power again last year before coming to the majors to sit on the bench. Some guys just dont stand out for whatever reason I definitely think Sands is better than Craig or Hoffpauir ever was (younger too) but he's going to have to hit in the majors to get respect.

Excerpts from a chat with Jim Callis from Baseball America (via FakeTeams):

Ben (Miamisburg, OH): Does the BA Prospect Hot Sheet make it's return this Friday?

Jim Callis: Yes. Jerry Sands is making a push for the top spot.

Yes, Sands is having a heck of a first week. He has 4 HRs and 14 RBIs in his first week of games. He should see time in LA this summer.

More on Sands

Chris (New York): With Jerry Sands hot start in AAA and the mediocore situation in LF for the Dodgers whats his ETA for the bigs? And what weaknesses does he need to work on to make a greater impact right away?

Jim Callis: The Dodgers need offense, and they won't be able to ignore Sands if he keeps this up. He has a lot more offensive upside than Tony Gwynn Jr.—it's not even close. Sands is a below-average runner who won't be better than an average left fielder, but it's his bat that will carry him.

I couldn't agree more. They need his bat now, but will be somewhat patient in bringing him up.

The rest of the chat was mostly questions about guys who will be drafted this June, so this one is short.

What a shocker, he hits another bomb today. (5th)

Just picked him up and now just waiting for the Dodgers to make the switch. Loney and/or Gwynn must be replaced by Sandman NOW!!!

Just picked him up and now just waiting for the Dodgers to make the switch. Loney and/or Gwynn must be replaced by Sandman NOW!!!

ditto i hope were not waiting too long. The dodgers cant afford to wait imo, they need a spark.

Reports I've read on Sands vary greatly. Some think he's the next coming of "the Whammer". Others, he's Rob Deer. I read something a while ago, and I don't remember exactly where....so, apologies....that questioned his swing mechanics, and their ability to succeed at the big league level for an extended period. Most notably, he's succeptible to breaking balls. From what I recall, there were more than a few scouts who felt the same way.

Regardless, I'm buying Sands everywhere I can at this point.

Reports I've read on Sands vary greatly. Some think he's the next coming of "the Whammer". Others, he's Rob Deer. I read something a while ago, and I don't remember exactly where....so, apologies....that questioned his swing mechanics, and their ability to succeed at the big league level for an extended period. Most notably, he's succeptible to breaking balls. From what I recall, there were more than a few scouts who felt the same way.

Regardless, I'm buying Sands everywhere I can at this point.

This may be true, but what would they lose in trying him over Loney? Loney is succeptible to any pitch thrown and I have a feeling Sands could get on base better than Loney's current .196 clip and offer ALOT more power. Loney has had his chances, it's time to move on and give this kid a chance to prove himself...

It's absolutely ridiculous that Yahoo doesn't have him available yet. It's going to be really annoying if he's not added until he's called up...any idiot would know to pick him up at that point.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Yahoo doesn't have him available yet. It's going to be really annoying if he's not added until he's called up...any idiot would know to pick him up at that point.

That's how Yahoo works generally. Unless a player already has MLB experience, he is not entered into the database. Once he is officially on an MLB roster, he is added to Yahoo's database the next day. That is part of the reason I stopped using Yahoo.

That's how Yahoo works generally. Unless a player already has MLB experience, he is not entered into the database. Once he is officially on an MLB roster, he is added to Yahoo's database the next day. That is part of the reason I stopped using Yahoo.

That's why I dig Yahoo, but there are instances like Beckham a couple years ago when it's not true. And Sands isn't a sure thing, he could end up being the next Jake Fox.

so whats the excuse of having a Single A ball player in the yahoo data base if sands isn't? i know there is no answer but it is extremely ridiculous to me that Mr. Hype is available in yahoo and is in single A but a triple A player that killed it last year in the minors is not....

so whats the excuse of having a Single A ball player in the yahoo data base if sands isn't? i know there is no answer but it is extremely ridiculous to me that Mr. Hype is available in yahoo and is in single A but a triple A player that killed it last year in the minors is not....

To be fair, I haven't used Yahoo in a few years, so things may changed, but I did say "generally" and not "always". Regardless, I agree with you that it's ridiculous that they can't handle expanding their database by now. I mean every other FBB site has AAA players at the very least and most go beyond that. Why Yahoo does not is beyond me.

That said, I picked up Sands last week and stashed him on my Minor League roster. I just don't see how he can't be called up soon with all the holes they have on that team. I understand not wanting to rush him, but from what I've read, he has nothing left to accomplish. Unless, like someone else mentioned, they want him to learn how to hit breaking balls. But will he see good breaking balls in the Minors? I feel like he will need to move up to the Show in order to see more breaking balls and then properly adjust. This could be way off base, but if he is crushing it in AAA, there seems to be no other choice.

That's why you got to get your commish to start a minor league in your league if it's a keeper league! B)

That ugly swing won't translate to success in the MLB.

This is what I'm fearing. I heard he couldn't see the breaking ball well either, which could make him the next Matt LaPorta if true. I hope not though...

There are quite a few A/AA prospects in Yahoo. It would make sense if they'd include guys that are on the cusp of being called up to the show, but whatever...

Buster Olney was just pimping him on Baseball Tonight. Looks like he's not going unnoticed. He talked to the Dodgers GM and it seems that while they'd like to see how he deals with struggling at the minor league level, they might be forced to call him up at some point.

That ugly swing won't translate to success in the MLB.

Anyone know if he has shortened his stride yet? I've only seen head-on shots of this season. Creates a huge hole if he guesses wrong. An MLB pitcher with 4 good- not even plus- pitches should be able to deal with him.

Anyone know if he has shortened his stride yet? I've only seen head-on shots of this season. Creates a huge hole if he guesses wrong. An MLB pitcher with 4 good- not even plus- pitches should be able to deal with him.

Someone must know.