Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

2010 MLB Draft

10th Pick

OAK Michael Choice- CF

Could be a great pick, definitely fits the OAK mold of catching falling players (Grant Green in 2009 - like Green, much debate if he's a tweener or real multitool future star).

Wow, talk about an "address needs/get upside" draft right now, the college OF's are falling like a rock right now

I read a lot of scouts were questioning DeShields' desire to play baseball, as he had committed to play running back at LSU. I think I read something about him mailing in ABs, even entire games. I thought this was the poorest pick of the top 10 by far. The Astros continue to screw themselves imo. He's a burner for sure, but there were some big-time arms available they passed on.

I read a lot of scouts were questioning DeShields' desire to play baseball, as he had committed to play running back at LSU. I think I read something about him mailing in ABs, even entire games. I thought this was the poorest pick of the top 10 by far. The Astros continue to screw themselves imo. He's a burner for sure, but there were some big-time arms available they passed on.

I agree - plus, if you're going to get a burner, get a guy who will be a MI or play a scarce position. I don't even know if he can play CF in the MLB - if you don't play a MI or CF, geez that's terrible value to get speed only guy (at least Bourn plays a premium position really well, for example).

Gotta say I don't think much of Deshields at 8 or Colon at 4 - I realize the teams didn't think they'd be back in the 2nd round, 40+ picks later, but still poor value for slot. I don't want to get too off-topic, but hopefully the next CBA will allow teams to trade picks, to avoid this kind of reach (or worse, the "signability" picks - like Matt Bush at #1, yuuuuck).

does bud selig know how to read, or is there a midget behind the podium whispering to him what to say?

Rangers keep the huge upside-but-raw string going with Skole - because he's a 2-sport player (like Deshields), the clause in draft contracts means they can be given contracts deferred over several years, making it look they gave less $ but the player still wins.

Rays make the big gamble on the most disputed 1st-round talent - Josh Sale. The mammoth power is there, but big holes in his swing. Because he's patient and very coachable, some see a future 40+ HR corner OF, others see Russell Branyan pre-2009.

Rangers keep the huge upside-but-raw string going with Skole - because he's a 2-sport player (like Deshields), the clause in draft contracts means they can be given contracts deferred over several years, making it look they gave less $ but the player still wins.

Rays make the big gamble on the most disputed 1st-round talent - Josh Sale. The mammoth power is there, but big holes in his swing. Because he's patient and very coachable, some see a future 40+ HR corner OF, others see Russell Branyan pre-2009.

thoughts on the cubs pick, hayden simpson? who wasn't even on top 200 lists for most teams apparently.

thoughts on the cubs pick, hayden simpson? who wasn't even on top 200 lists for most teams apparently.

Honestly, that one was from left field. I can't say much about a guy I've never even seen footage, or any in-depth scouting reports. BA had him as a 4th or 5th round pick. Wow.

The big faller? Zach Cox. His contract demands are creating a Porcello-like fall here.

I'd heard nothing about Simpson prior to that pick, but I dug up this scouting report from Baseball America, published in February:

Simpson has made a name for himself in the Division II ranks, going 22-1, 2.73 over his first two seasons at Southern Arkansas. Last year he set a new school record and ranked second nationally among all Division II players with 132 strikeouts. He entered 2010 as Baseball America's preseason choice for D-II pitcher of the year and the No. 8 prospect in D-II, and so far he has lived up to that billing. In his Feb. 5 season debut, Simpson struck out 13 over 5 2/3 shutout innings, allowing just three hits in a 13-1 win against Missouri Southern State. He followed that up with seven strong innings in a win against perennial D-II powerhouse Tampa last weekend. An American League area scout who was on hand for Simpson's season debut broke down his outing.

"The weather was terrible—it was really cold, and it had rained the day before. It's the first game of the year, and it's cold. The kid is 6-foot, 175 pounds—a slight build. He comes out in the first inning, and the first pitch is 94. Then 94, 94, 93, 96. There were about 20 scouts there and a handful of crosscheckers—he's no secret. He's throwing two breaking balls: a slider that he throws about 80 mph, and a curveball he throws about 76 mph. They're very similar pitches; the curveball has a little more depth, the slider has a little more run, and they're both tight and sharp.

"He faced 16 batters and struck out 13. The guy was good last year—an all-American. He's good. The only knock on him is his size, whether or not he can be a starter and hold up for a whole season with his size. If not then you've got a reliever who can come out and pump it, and shut you down with the breaking ball. But the second, third, fourth inning, he sat more 90-93. The fastball is pretty straight, he was kind of leaving it up a little bit—he's going to have to get it down. And whenever he goes to the stretch he loses a little bit of his velocity. But he has the ability to pump it back up when he needs to. I know it's Division II, so it is what it is talent wise, but he was just mowing them down. He's going to go pretty good (in the draft)."

Honestly, that one was from left field. I can't say much about a guy I've never even seen footage, or any in-depth scouting reports. BA had him as a 4th or 5th round pick. Wow.

The big faller? Zach Cox. His contract demands are creating a Porcello-like fall here.

Cardinals took Cox 25th sounds like a steal.

I like the Choice pick for the A's. He and Michael Taylor could be a fantastic OF in a year or two.

cant wait to see where my boy Derek Dietrich goes, played with him most of my life on my summer team. although he played up a year with me.

Cardinals took Cox 25th sounds like a steal.

If he can stick at 2B, yes. His power ceiling is limited to 15-20 HR's, with good contact skills. Because 2010 is seen as a weak draft overall, Cox was seen to be asking for crazy $ for his ceiling - thus the fall. Same issue is happening with Austin Wilson & Stetson Allie, from what I've seen in chats (teams are afraid their demands will mean a lost pick, both guys should be long gone by now).

Where is the best place to see ALL of the draft picks for the entire 3 day draft?

24. Giants - Gary Brown, OF

Just a downright terrible pick. Yes, he's speedy. But he took nine walks all of this year. You read that correctly. NINE. In 210 at bats. Yeah, he only struck out 12 times. But damn, son. Nine walks in 210 ABs is awful, no matter how you slice it. And they expect him to be the leadoff man of the future? His scouting report also says he has questionable plate discipline, very little power (but "surprising pop"), and has a "Reggie Willits like body." Oh boy! The Giants need power, and they draft a Reggie Willits-like body.

I'm so fed up.

Where is the best place to see ALL of the draft picks for the entire 3 day draft?

BA has a nice list - pay content for the player bios, but the total list will be there for free (without bios).

Of course, we've only gone 50 picks in so far, so gotta wait for Day 2 & 3.

Big winners in getting guys to drop (much like Rangers in 2008 with Smoak falling to 11):

Tigers - top 15 talent IMO at 44 with Castellanos, plus they won't have to pay nearly as high as top 15 $ now, wow.

Rays - getting Sale & O'Connor are gambles, but exactly the guys the Rays succeed best with. Sale really fell, have to admit I'm surprised the Rangers didn't grab O'Connor

A's - Choice is a huge source of division if he's got the tools to be a MLB star or just a decent player, but falling to 10 is still great value.

Reds - Grandel at #12 was great value IMO. Really fills a need with best C on board (O'Connor further away, being in HS, more risk)

Cards - already discussed Cox.

Red Sox - getting Bryce Bentz in sandwich & Vitek in 1st was a surprise, I'm sure - they probably thought they were only getting 1 of those 2. Getting Ranaudo in the supplemental round was icing on the cake.

On a side note - a great case with BOS & DET how sandwich picks do matter, when people complain about allowing potential FA's to leave instead of trading them at the deadline - there is inherent value that is substantial with late 1st/sandwich round picks, at least the way the draft works now.

Big losers in over-reaching:

Royals - I get they wanted Colon - but at #4, wow. The slot alone is going to hurt. Plus, as it was well know Grandal was a huge target there, the Colon vs. Grandal debate is going to get a lot of attention (much like the Rays with Posey vs. Beckham - one of the few but obvious early round missteps for the Rays, even if Beckham turns it around, which he is showing signs of lately).

Astros - Same deal as Royals. If Deshields doesn't stick at CF or MI, ugh.

D-Backs - Can't say I see the same with Loux as they do. Really looked raw IMO.

Cubs - Still in shock about Hayden Simpson. All I can say. How they thought he wouldn't be there in 2nd round in beyond me, but maybe another team did a great job in planting a false rumor that made them reach.

Yankees - see Cubs, not quite as bad, but another reach for a guy who would have been there later on. Smells of CJ Henry here.

Guys I'm really torn on:

Jays - I get why they took McGuire - but the value they had on board with bats such as Sale, Castellanos, Choice - man, I hope this isn't Tulo/Romero all over again. McGuire is being looked at as a Leake-like pick - ready to help soon, high floor, lower ceiling but projectable. Thing I hate about that is in the NL, that plays really well (look at Ian Kennedy & Leake) - but in the AL East, it could be really ugly, especially knowing who they passed up. I get why they did it - I just wouldn't have done it when the talent dropped as it did.

Teams I feel for:

Rangers - Don't get me wrong, they had a nice draft. But it's also clear they went cheaper in passing up guys like O'Connor, Sale, Castellanos, when they could have taken multiple higher-value (but pricier) guys in their slots. In another year, with ownership in place, I have a feeling they would have gone that way. Still a good draft so far - but the chance to go even higher was restricted solely due to $ reasons.

Overall, I do see this draft as weaker than 2008 (which I still say will be historic in its elite bat production) or 2009 (which was all about arms) - and that's being reflected in some complete out-of-nowhere picks. Big chance for teams willing to pony up $ to get first-round talent - the main obstacle being now the HS talents that were seen as mid-1st rounders might opt for college if teams lowball them at 2nd-later round contracts. Gonna be some huge showdowns in terms of negotiations with whoever signs Allie (who wants the $$$) & Wilson (who admittedly is less about the $ and more a hardcore intent to go to college).

Jays - I get why they took McGuire - but the value they had on board with bats such as Sale, Castellanos, Choice - man, I hope this isn't Tulo/Romero all over again. McGuire is being looked at as a Leake-like pick - ready to help soon, high floor, lower ceiling but projectable. Thing I hate about that is in the NL, that plays really well (look at Ian Kennedy & Leake) - but in the AL East, it could be really ugly, especially knowing who they passed up. I get why they did it - I just wouldn't have done it when the talent dropped as it did.

I realize selecting Romero over Tulo is always going to be thought of as a major blunder, especially considering the Jays revolving door at SS, but at least Romero is starting to ease the pain a bit.

I see Romero as a #2 or #3 guy in the Jays' rotation for the next few years. Not the same as an impact, middle-of-the-order bat that also plays SS, but not a write-off pick either.

I realize selecting Romero over Tulo is always going to be thought of as a major blunder, especially considering the Jays revolving door at SS, but at least Romero is starting to ease the pain a bit.

I see Romero as a #2 or #3 guy in the Jays' rotation for the next few years. Not the same as an impact, middle-of-the-order bat that also plays SS, but not a write-off pick either.

You are right, it's not nearly as bad now - but let's face it, even with Romero doing as well as he is, it's a do-over everyone would change time & again. When I reference Tulo-for-Romero, it's not a knock against Romero, it's a knock against JP Riccardi - who overruled the entire Jays scouting team (and which was the final straw that has been often reported, though he won't admit it publicly, that led to Keith Law's departure). Going for a lower-upside reliable arm when some difference-making bats are there, well, I hope it works out for them. At least I have confidence Anthopoulos probably didn't just ignore everyone on his staff. B)

I completely agree. My hope is that AA uses some of his apparently large draft budget now on some of those high upside positional players that were passed on in the first round because they were believed to be after big signing bonuses.

I think we'll see Alex open things up a bit with these next few picks and perhaps go after some 'riskier' picks with high upside. I'd love to see them take Austin Wilson on the off chance they can sign him.

BA has a nice list - pay content for the player bios, but the total list will be there for free (without bios).

Of course, we've only gone 50 picks in so far, so gotta wait for Day 2 & 3.

Big winners in getting guys to drop (much like Rangers in 2008 with Smoak falling to 11):

Red Sox - getting Bryce Bentz in sandwich & Vitek in 1st was a surprise, I'm sure - they probably thought they were only getting 1 of those 2. Getting Ranaudo in the supplemental round was icing on the cake.

On a side note - a great case with BOS & DET how sandwich picks do matter, when people complain about allowing potential FA's to leave instead of trading them at the deadline - there is inherent value that is substantial with late 1st/sandwich round picks, at least the way the draft works now.

And then they grab Workman (RHP/Texas) with their first pick in the 2nd round. Theo and the Sox are having a heck of a draft.

Just a downright terrible pick. Yes, he's speedy. But he took nine walks all of this year. You read that correctly. NINE. In 210 at bats. Yeah, he only struck out 12 times. But damn, son. Nine walks in 210 ABs is awful, no matter how you slice it. And they expect him to be the leadoff man of the future? His scouting report also says he has questionable plate discipline, very little power (but "surprising pop"), and has a "Reggie Willits like body." Oh boy! The Giants need power, and they draft a Reggie Willits-like body.

I'm so fed up.

Holy ****. Ok, so they draft a CF with their first round pick that has speed as his main/only offensive tool (a plus defender with no arm strength), but with little to no power, questionable forecastable MLB hitting ability, and questionable plate discipline. And what do they do in the second round? They go ahead and draft a second CF that has speed as his main/only offensive tool (a plus defender with no arm strength), but with little to no power, questionable forecastable MLB hitting ability, and questionable plate discipline. Are you freaking kidding me? A virtual clone?

Sabean and company need to go. Now. This is just embarrassing.

Wow, teams must think Austin Wilson is unsignable, down to Round 3 and undrafted. Yikes, at this stage a team that hasn't had a great draft could salvage it if they drafted & signed Wilson. Heck, pretty much any team could make their draft better with this move.

Wow, teams must think Austin Wilson is unsignable, down to Round 3 and undrafted. Yikes, at this stage a team that hasn't had a great draft could salvage it if they drafted & signed Wilson. Heck, pretty much any team could make their draft better with this move.

Wilson is unsignable from all accounts. I am sure someone will scoop him soon and pray they can sign him. I really only see like 5 teams who would go way above slot for him. I could see The Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Mets and maybe even the Nats cause this is a critical time for that team to steal fans from Baltimore.

Cards nab wilson in the *12th* round.

They are having an extraordinary draft.

Chances he signs are slim though. I bet he's in case Cox doesn't sign considering he wants Pedro Alvarez money.

does bud selig know how to read, or is there a midget behind the podium whispering to him what to say?

yes, mlb network, besides letting your actual draft experts talk instead of the regular hosts who have seen a couple minutes of video of the guys being drafted, get Bud Selig off the broadcast next year... i get physically ill at the site of the guy and didnt keep watching primariy because of him..

will be interesting to see how the Phillies drafting of a local kid, lefty Jesse Biddle, works out..they had made no secret of their interest in him...6-3, 235, throws in the low 90's who struck lout 140 in 59 high school innings this year..

cubs fans, i love your fifth round pick, Matt Szcur from Villanova

first, he played on Villanovas 1-a national championship football team, and was always the fastest kid on the field...he was kind of a wes welker type..they would just get the ball in his hands whatever way they cold and the opponent would have trouble stopping him...

he missed part of this years baseball season when he donated blood cells to help a baby with leukemia...he plays the outfield and hit .443 this year...