fontaine

Where Legends Are Born

4 hours ago, megamoviejohn said:

Rumor has it he'd be a top 5 pick if the draft were to start this week. 

Gabriel David 2020 League winner! Choo choo!!

WelltodoRawAlabamamapturtle-size_restric

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:38 AM, Boudewijn said:

I'm not an injured party, and I have no problem with it in general, but I think it's up to @sportsguy21792.

FWIW, obviously if I lose the championship to you because Gabriel Davis has 245 yd and 2 TD, then I reserve the right to change my mind in hindsight and force you to drop him retroactively.

I believe @megamoviejohn when he says he picked up Davis right as the clock struck 7.  I'll let this one go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sportsguy21792 said:

I believe @megamoviejohn when he says he picked up Davis right as the clock struck 7.  I'll let this one go.

Oh I believe him too.  If fact I can confirm that he couldn't have been more than a few seconds early because I made an add right at 5 o'clock that showed up on Yahoo as a 5 o'clock add. I waited to make that add until my phone said it was about 30 seconds past 5 o'clock and then did it. So he couldn't have been more than 30 seconds early.

His biggest mistake was trusting an Apple product.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sportsguy21792 said:

This season deserves an asterisk. Not because of Covid. But because of #DavisGate

Edited by Du5t3r
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, megamoviejohn said:

My phone and my computer both said 7:00 PM. I clicked it the second it turned to 7, but I'm 100% certain it was 7:00 P.M. I don't know why it says 6:59. 

I do this every year at this time and it's never said 6:59. I don't mind dropping him but I can say with absolute certainty it was 7:00 PM when I added him as my desktop changed times and my iPhone changed times before I clicked the submit button.

I have done the same thing in this league.

If you open the "date and time" preferences on OSX I'm pretty sure it forces the time daemon (timed) to call apple's time server (time.apple.com) to update constantly, so you should get a very accurate time with little to no time drift on your side down to the millisecond.

I'm not sure how often the iPhone checks the network time servers vs it's own internal clock.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read a Gabriel Davis hype piece yesterday. 

15 hours ago, Du5t3r said:

I read a Gabriel Davis hype piece yesterday. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-gabriel-davis-shines-in-first-camp/

Davis had a day of good work in Thursday's live scrimmage, accounting for six receptions, three of which went for first downs, Maddy Glab of the Bills' official site reports.

The fourth-rounder out of Central Florida has the size (6-foot-2, 216 pounds) that the Bills have been looking for. He's also had an excellent camp and is starting to look like a lock to make the team. Davis is probably considered fourth in the current wideout pecking order at the present time behind Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley.

tenor.gif

LEAGUE WINNER 2020!!!

Hey guys I'm potentially looking for 2 to fill my Yahoo redraft league. It's free, draft Sunday. I think a couple guys from this league are in it. Let me know!

Preston Williams, Ryquell Armstead, Zack Moss, Deebo Samuel, Parris Campbell, Bryan Edwards, QBs OTB

Ideally looking to package a few together for an upgrade.

Last week is one of those losses that hurt big since I should've won but completely my fault not being available to update my roster. Melvin Ingram hits the IR and I have Sweat on my bench get 12 pts. Davante Adams injured, who isn't on my team but I'm not around to start Lazard over Jeudy. Difference of about 27 pts, lost by 14. Manager mistakes, gotta live with em.

We're going to need extra COVID IR spots with how things are going.

20 hours ago, Drake said:

We're going to need extra COVID IR spots with how things are going.

Do people think this is something we should give consideration to now?  I am able to edit the number of IR spots at any point.

I think it’s too late for that. People have had to manage this long. 

Wouldn’t be fair to anybody who had to make drops earlier. 

That said. I’m not necessarily against it. I’m just not big on mid season changes. 

4 hours ago, Du5t3r said:

I think it’s too late for that. People have had to manage this long. 

Wouldn’t be fair to anybody who had to make drops earlier. 

That said. I’m not necessarily against it. I’m just not big on mid season changes. 

I say this as someone with three IR eligible players. So selfishly I would vote for it lol

9 hours ago, Du5t3r said:

I would normally feel the same way under normal circumstances. This COVID stuff is unpredictable and makes you have to adjust on the fly though. We have healthy benches so it's pretty manageable but I think it's fair to have exceptions for this specific season.

This league was initially an 8 team playoff league and I pushed to make it a 6 team playoff league which it is now. Knowing how competitive the league is, I wonder if it would be good to push a back to 8 teams. Maybe a vote next year? 8 in a competitive 14 team league really isn't that bad.

On 4 October 2020 at 9:01 PM, sportsguy21792 said:

Do people think this is something we should give consideration to now?  I am able to edit the number of IR spots at any point.

An extra bench spot would be fine. You could do it specifically for this season. It shouldn't be a permanent change, fewer bench spots makes drafting and waiver acquisitions more strategic. 

17 hours ago, Drake said:

This league was initially an 8 team playoff league and I pushed to make it a 6 team playoff league which it is now. Knowing how competitive the league is, I wonder if it would be good to push a back to 8 teams. Maybe a vote next year? 8 in a competitive 14 team league really isn't that bad.

I'm completely against this. Increasing playoff spots is rewarding mediocrity. 

I've always thought a league of this size could do with 2 IR spots but I'm generally against any midseason change.

I am also against 50% or more of a league making the playoffs so I'd be against the 8 of 14, personally.  A team that finishes 1st or 2nd season-long in a 14-teamer deserves a reward of getting that bye.  Otherwise 1st and 8th are essentially the same and it's all about trying to win the lottery "just by having a ticket."

46 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I've always thought a league of this size could do with 2 IR spots but I'm generally against any midseason change.

Agreed, other than I don't think any of us thought to preplan for covid IR players.

46 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I am also against 50% or more of a league making the playoffs so I'd be against the 8 of 14, personally.  A team that finishes 1st or 2nd season-long in a 14-teamer deserves a reward of getting that bye.  Otherwise 1st and 8th are essentially the same and it's all about trying to win the lottery "just by having a ticket."

This is essentially why I aggressively pushed for a 6 playoff team league. Over 50% most likely means a team with a losing record makes it. Then again an 8 team bracket is pretty clean and could have some dark horse upsets. I'm good either way.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, sportsguy21792 said:

Mr. Commissioner, do you intend to use the "substitute lists" I've seen going around in some leagues with respect to the games that get postponed to maybe be played on Monday or Tuesday night?  (Essentially, if you had Stefon Diggs, for instance, and wanted to start him, you can submit a "backup" player to fill his spot if Buffalo's game doesn't happen this week.)  I'll paste in what a commissioner of mine in another league did last week:

At this point there is uncertainty around whether the Patriots vs Chiefs game will happen this week. It's currently scheduled for Monday or Tuesday night; however, it could get rescheduled to a later date and we might not know if this occurs until after games kickoff tomorrow morning. Follow the instructions below if this concerns you. 
  • When setting your lineup this week, assume the Patriots vs. Chiefs is going to happen.
  • I've set up a Google Form where I'm asking you for your "COVID Backups"
  • Send me as many "COVID Backups" as you have starting players in the Pats vs. Chiefs game.
  • If the game is postponed beyond this week and all players are treated as a BYE, I'll replace your Pats and Chiefs manually with the backups submitted.
  • You MUST submit your COVID Backups before opening kickoff Sunday morning (10am PT), otherwise you take the zero for your Pats/Chiefs in the event the game isn't played this week.
  • If you're stupid and submit backups that don't work with the positions (aka replacing a WR with a RB and no flex is available), you take a zero for that player as well.
  • Like 2

Sounds like a fair bit of work for a free league but cool idea.

Will all these games getting changed, it would be really good to get that substitute list idea implemented. I'd be willing to help with it.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, KennyWoo said:

Mr. Commissioner, do you intend to use the "substitute lists" I've seen going around in some leagues with respect to the games that get postponed to maybe be played on Monday or Tuesday night?  (Essentially, if you had Stefon Diggs, for instance, and wanted to start him, you can submit a "backup" player to fill his spot if Buffalo's game doesn't happen this week.)  I'll paste in what a commissioner of mine in another league did last week:

At this point there is uncertainty around whether the Patriots vs Chiefs game will happen this week. It's currently scheduled for Monday or Tuesday night; however, it could get rescheduled to a later date and we might not know if this occurs until after games kickoff tomorrow morning. Follow the instructions below if this concerns you. 
  • When setting your lineup this week, assume the Patriots vs. Chiefs is going to happen.
  • I've set up a Google Form where I'm asking you for your "COVID Backups"
  • Send me as many "COVID Backups" as you have starting players in the Pats vs. Chiefs game.
  • If the game is postponed beyond this week and all players are treated as a BYE, I'll replace your Pats and Chiefs manually with the backups submitted.
  • You MUST submit your COVID Backups before opening kickoff Sunday morning (10am PT), otherwise you take the zero for your Pats/Chiefs in the event the game isn't played this week.
  • If you're stupid and submit backups that don't work with the positions (aka replacing a WR with a RB and no flex is available), you take a zero for that player as well.

I have seen this idea going around.  Unfortunately, I just saw this post, as I don't check the forums very much during the season itself.  Given that it's now 2:54 PM CT on Sunday, I unfortunately don't think this is something we can implement this week.  I'm not opposed to doing something similar going forward.

I'll send an e-mail to everybody to get thoughts.  My thought is that if the majority of folks in the league want to do this, then we'll do it the rest of the season.