Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavman4hoos

Brian Hartline vs. Davone Bess

Who will be the better one week fill in this week? Who will have more value as the season goes?

I'm extremely thin at WR in my PPR league (but I do have Gates at TE and Finley at flex!) so I picked up Bess this week and may end up starting him.

I'm a Patriots fan and I seemed to remember Bess always having big games against New England, so I looked it up:

2008 - rookie season

Week 3 - 1 catch for 4 yards (he was also returning kicks so I believe his role in the offense was very limited at this point).

Week 12 - 5 catches for 87 yards (second best yardage game of his career)

Week 9 - 6 catches for 56 yards

Week 13 - 10 catches for 117 yards and a TD (best game of his young career by a wide margin)

I'm not sure if this is enough of a sample size to put a lot of stock in, but Bess' last three games against the Patriots he's gone 3/3 posting solid PPR outings, including 2 of the best lines of his career. The Patriots secondary may be worse now than it has ever been. No doubt they will be paying a ton of attention to Brandon Marshall as he moves all over the field, so Bess should get to abuse whichever corner New England puts on him (it's up in the air, 2nd year CB Darius Butler was benched last week after getting embarrassed by Braylon Edwards in Week 2).

I saw a good chunk of the Jets/Dolphins game on Sunday night and Bess looked very good, making a number of great catches in tight coverage. I think he's a pretty safe bet to catch 5 or 6 passes on MNF, and if the Dolphins go pass-heavy (either because they are trailing or because it is just the easiest way to attack the Patriots) I think there is considerable upside here. Solid bye week fill-in in PPR.

As far as long term value, I really have no idea. I play in almost exclusively PPR leagues so Bess seems like the easy choice there, since he had 76 receptions last year, but Hartline can stretch the field a little more and could have more upside long term.

Who will be the better one week fill in this week? Who will have more value as the season goes?

I picked up Hartline in a deep league. Addtional to his Week 3 totals, Henne overthrew him on a 60 yard gimme TD. The Pats can definitely be passed on, so I think he's worth an add. Bess is a slot WR at best, so his value isn't much, so why not go with Hartline as a 2nd year WR with some upside.

Bess will have more consistency while Hartline provides more upside...Bess is probably a more valuable PPR candidate.