Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MustacheToes

Yonder Alonso 1B/OF CIN

He was a mashing 1B for the Hurricanes, and I don't really know where else he'd be suited to play. I guess you could easily say OF, but is that even the case with their current situation? With him already being 21 years old and been through college, he isn't 3/4 years away from the Bigs like most people might think after them taking him with Votto. Undeniably he has some big time talent, and I think he could be a much better bat then Votto in the long run. Problem is, Votto is pretty damn good himself and I don't think Yonder will be that much better then Votto that they'll move Votto somewhere else. They do have an open OF spot down the line it looks like, with Bruce and Stubbs being the main guys OF wise for the future. Stubbs and Bruce both can play CF so it's even better that it would be a corner OF spot for him. If they let Dunn play in the OF that long, defense is obviously optional in CIN. Problem is, I don't hear any rumblings about them moving him to the OF and if they want him to be part of their future with Votto, they're going to need to move him and fast. I really do think bat wise this kid will be on the fast track to the show, problem is I don't think he's gonna have an opening unless there is an unexpected injury to Votto.

he hit a ball in the college world series that I think landed about 5 minutes ago. He's naturally a 1b, but the Reds may get cute and move him. Didn't Votto play in the of? Could they move Votto to the OF and put Alanso at 1b?

he hit a ball in the college world series that I think landed about 5 minutes ago. He's naturally a 1b, but the Reds may get cute and move him. Didn't Votto play in the of? Could they move Votto to the OF and put Alanso at 1b?

The more I read on this kid, the more I'm in love with him. I really don't want them to screw with his development though and have him try and learn new pitching and a new position. That transition can really screw with a player who isn't established.

Votto started 6 games in LF in the 2007 season, he had 144 of his starts a 1B last year. Since Votto has already made his mark and has shown he can hit MLB pitching, I really hope they try and move him since he will have less to learn and work on. Not only that, but Yonder has more talent and is younger so they could also look at that angle. I don't expect them to, but I'm just hoping they do.

I think Alonso's defense is suitable at 1B only. When he is ready (hopefully 2010) they will move Votto to LF and let Alonso play 1B.

Votto will end up in LF.

does alonso project as a better hitter than smoak?

Dunn isnt with CIN anymore.

Neither does Jonny Bench.

Nor Petey Rose.

Dunn isnt with CIN anymore.
Neither does Jonny Bench.
Nor Petey Rose.

That's what I love about these forums...The breaking headline news! B)

does alonso project as a better hitter than smoak?

No, I think Smoak will be the better hitter.

I also think I like Smoak better as well, but it could go either way. I do like the Smoak unlike Yonder can swing it, and swing it well, from both sides of the plate.

Just got promoted to AA..anyone think we see him in September this year?

i thought when they drafted him...i saw votto moving back to the OF with alonso playin 1b...

Yes, from everything I've seen and read Yonder is the future at 1B and Votto is moved to a corner OF spot. It sounds like Votto is much more athletic then Yonder which obviously will lead to better defense in the OF and a lesser drop off at 1B. The thing that is kind of odd is that with the current state of the OF that they just haven't thrown Votto in the OF already to test it out for a game or two.

If all goes well at AA for Yonder then I'm fairly confident we see him in the Bigs this Sept. Cincy doesn't necessarily rush their prospects, but they do reward them with a call up if they perform well (like Votto with his late call up when he made his debut, and Bruce forcing the issue of being promoted early as well last year).

And when Todd Frazier makes the show (probably 3B), the Reds are going to have one hell of an IF.

And when Todd Frazier makes the show (probably 3B), the Reds are going to have one hell of an IF.

No doubt about it. They are actually the one team that I'd love to see take a shot with Grant Green. Can't even imagine an offense of Frazier-Green-Phillips-Yonder across the infield, and then Bruce and Votto in the OF. Yikes that would be nasty, and they are all very close to MLB ready as is. Then maybe in 9 years when they are in their prime Yorman will be ready to make his debut B)

Alonso update

Up to .295 AVG at AA only 2 HRs, but a nice BB to K ratio of 14-15.

During the team's winter caravan event, manager Dusty Baker said the organization has considered using top prospect Yonder Alonso as a catcher.

"Imagine a left-handed, power-hitting catcher," said Baker. Oh, we'll try, but Alonso has never played another position besides first base, even during his time with the University of Miami. Just how he'll fit into a lineup with Joey Votto is a real question, but sticking him behind the plate is a tremendous leap. Don't expect this to move beyond hypothetical discussion. Alonso, who turns 23 in April, batted .292/.374/.464 with nine home runs and 52 RBI in his first full year of pro ball last season.

(face palm)

Maybe Dusty will use him out of the bullpen as well? As we all know he's very strong on dealing with a pitching staff, so while Alonso is not in the lineup why not use him.