Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MustacheToes

Yonder Alonso 1B/OF CIN

Maybe Dusty will use him out of the bullpen as well? As we all know he's very strong on dealing with a pitching staff, so while Alonso is not in the lineup why not use him.

If he can throw, Dusty will use him. Bank on it. B)

Seriously, though - a LH power-hitting catcher with zero experience at any level just making it to the Big Show? You gotta hope Dusty was joking, and the quote was taken out of context.

Bye Alonso, thanks for your pen and letting us get the 5th.

You will be missed.

But when we play you in the CL this season, prepare for a spanking

If he can throw, Dusty will use him. Bank on it. B)

Seriously, though - a LH power-hitting catcher with zero experience at any level just making it to the Big Show? You gotta hope Dusty was joking, and the quote was taken out of context.

It's just Dusty being Dusty. One of the many examples that show that sometimes it's better to just ignore what he says unless you want a good laugh.

what fun that would be for fantasy lineups tho....

ya, think how great a power hitting left handed closer he could be?

Plus, they wouldn't have to pinch hit for him.

Posted today:

Reds prospect Yonder Alonso will primarily play left field for Double-A Carolina this season.

Interesting. With Joey Votto blocking his path to the majors at first base, Alonso will begin the transition to the outfield. The former 2008 first-round pick, who turns 23 this month, batted .292/.374/.464 with nine home runs and 52 RBI in his first full year of pro ball last season and was ranked as the organization's No. 2 prospect by Baseball America over the winter.

In all honesty, I think it's only truly "interesting" if you missed the 3/1/10 blurb in which it was discussed that he was going to be tried at 3B, LF and RF during camp (or you're a RW writer who doesn't pay attention to your colleague's work).

Given that he already got a taste of AA last year, and the general lack of studliness currently holding down LF in Cincy, what kind of timetable do people see for him on this route?

I would presume that they'll want to give him a trial at AAA before the final jump, and he'll obviously need to show he can handle LF, but is being a factor in the LF job by the end of 2011 a reasonable estimate?

Posted today:

In all honesty, I think it's only truly "interesting" if you missed the 3/1/10 blurb in which it was discussed that he was going to be tried at 3B, LF and RF during camp (or you're a RW writer who doesn't pay attention to your colleague's work).

Given that he already got a taste of AA last year, and the general lack of studliness currently holding down LF in Cincy, what kind of timetable do people see for him on this route?

I would presume that they'll want to give him a trial at AAA before the final jump, and he'll obviously need to show he can handle LF, but is being a factor in the LF job by the end of 2011 a reasonable estimate?

For some reason, I see him getting a taste this year. I don't think anyone out of Nix, Gomes, or Dickerson should really hold him back from getting a look. The only guy that could would be Juan Francisco, who, for some reason is still with the team. He would be their third basemen, but Rolen is entrenched there for a couple seasons.

I still think long-term that the Reds should either move Votto to left (more athletic) or move Alonso in a deal eventually. Alonso is going to be a butcher in left, even when he gets comfortable out there. So the pressure will be on him to produce with the bat to outweigh the negative defensive value.

If he can handle himself there, then he should be a factor in LF by mid-2011, in my opinion. But I could see him getting called up in September if he is hitting this year.

Dickerson will still be a factor in 2011 (although he's best as a 4th outfielder). Gomes/Nix will likely be gone

Francisco HAS to improve his plate discipline. IF he can do that, and he's still only 22, then he'll be a factor with alot of power upside.

Don't count out Heisey. While he doesn't have as much power upside as Alonso/Francisco, his all around game IS better.

Personally, I'd prefer Alonso at 1st and Votto in left like PepperPot mentioned. But just because Alonso will see time in left this year doesn't mean he's a lock to stay there. It's way too soon to know with any certainty how leftfield will look for the Reds in a year and a half.

Anyone know why he was struggling so much early on? I notice he's mashing now. Power is still lacking a bit, but he does have 11 SBs this year lol.

Anyone know why he was struggling so much early on? I notice he's mashing now. Power is still lacking a bit, but he does have 11 SBs this year lol.

He broke his hammate (wrist) bone last year. One year later and he's back hitting like he's expected to. Just took him awhile to recover.

edit: By the way, since the start of July he has 6 homers, 13 doubles, and his slg% was .677 in July and is .609 so far in August. So, I think his power is ok. B)

He broke his hammate (wrist) bone last year. One year later and he's back hitting like he's expected to. Just took him awhile to recover.

edit: By the way, since the start of July he has 6 homers, 13 doubles, and his slg% was .677 in July and is .609 so far in August. So, I think his power is ok. B)

Great to hear. I knew he was hurt last year but didn't realize it was still hurting him. I doubt the Reds call him up right now except for a late cup of coffee, but it'll be interesting to see if he can force himself onto the team next year.

Great to hear. I knew he was hurt last year but didn't realize it was still hurting him. I doubt the Reds call him up right now except for a late cup of coffee, but it'll be interesting to see if he can force himself onto the team next year.

He might see some time with the Reds but he's arguably their biggest trading chip as it's unlikely that he'll replace Votto at 1st and the early reports on his defense in the outfield are really bad.

taking a flier on this kid even though i'm trying to win it all this year.

So is everyone sure his low HR number is because of the hamate bone he broke last year?

I love the BA and BB/K ratio, the later the reason i think he'll succeed at the major league level.

I'd love for this kid to get a shot with the reds, but they have no room for him. Votto at 1b and an already overcrowded OF.

Is Alonso a prime canidate to be traded in the offseason or trade deadline next year?

taking a flier on this kid even though i'm trying to win it all this year.

So is everyone sure his low HR number is because of the hamate bone he broke last year?

I am.

I love the BA and BB/K ratio, the later the reason i think he'll succeed at the major league level.

I'd love for this kid to get a shot with the reds, but they have no room for him. Votto at 1b and an already overcrowded OF.

Is Alonso a prime canidate to be traded in the offseason or trade deadline next year?

He's been a trading chip for the Reds for awhile. Although it wouldn't have made sense for him to be dealt when his stock was low. But Votto isn't going anywhere and, even if the Reds outfield wasn't crowded, the early reports on Alonso's defense in left aren't good. I'd love to have him in my NL Only league but he might not even be in the NL when he reaches the majors much less with the Reds.

I am.

He's been a trading chip for the Reds for awhile. Although it wouldn't have made sense for him to be dealt when his stock was low. But Votto isn't going anywhere and, even if the Reds outfield wasn't crowded, the early reports on Alonso's defense in left aren't good. I'd love to have him in my NL Only league but he might not even be in the NL when he reaches the majors much less with the Reds.

No chance Votto goes to the OF?

No chance Votto goes to the OF?

Well while it IS possible that he ends up a major league leftfielder I doubt it. I've been told that his defense out there compares to former Red Adam Dunn (which isn't good). So, yeah, there's a chance but I just wouldn't bank on it.

Looks like we have another callup although I wouldn't expect him to get many abs.

Hopefully the Reds give him some ABs as an audition, so they can trade him if they don't plan on playing him. I'm sure a team out there will be interested in Alonso.

Anyone have the scoop on this kid? Will he be playing in the Bigs this year, or are we looking at 2012?

Were is the Alonso love? This guy needs to be playing THIS year- 2011.

OF maybe?

Hopefully he can make the team out of spring training this year. His defense is terrible, so I don't think they are going to let him play in the OF. He either needs to be traded or Votto would have to move to OF.

Hopefully he can make the team out of spring training this year. His defense is terrible, so I don't think they are going to let him play in the OF. He either needs to be traded or Votto would have to move to OF.

Highly doubt the Reds ask their MVP 1B to make that change. Would Votto be any better playing OF?